The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Forced reps - Good..or bad?

So, I am 15 and work out with a buddy daily. We'll do forced reps. Like put on alot of weight, I can maybe do it once on my own, then the last 3 he will push up a little on the bar..(persay benching..). Or fly's he'll push my elbows in etc..is this good to do? Like I can barely do them but he'll help..?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Not particularly useful. Detrimental if used very frequently.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

If you can't move the weight on your own, go lower and do a weight you can. If he is helping you then your not actually lifting the heavier weight anyways. Plus, it probably wreaks havoc on your form, and CNS.
    Nick V

say your supposed to do about 8 reps and you only get 7 by urself and your buddy helps you on the 8th one, thats okay. but if you can only get one by yourself and he helps you with 3 or 4, thats not gonna do much for you
    20 yrs old
    6'2" 210 lbs
    9% BF
    bench 330 x 2
    squat 415 x 8

once a marine always a marine

I cant remember the last time I did forced reps, just burns you out man.

Quote Originally Posted by crunkdizzle
    say your supposed to do about 8 reps and you only get 7 by urself and your buddy helps you on the 8th one, thats okay. but if you can only get one by yourself and he helps you with 3 or 4, thats not gonna do much for you
    I agree

Gamer/Lifter
    Only time I do a forced req is when I just can't get it up, and I don't do more then one per set. I try not to do any at all. If you can only do 1, doing 3 or 4 with your buddies help don't help.

Not a huge fan of em, certainly don't do them too often.
    I'd be more apt to suggest drop sets if you're stuck at a particular load and can't get it to increase.

I prefer to train alone, so no i don't do forced reps. but you can always try doing negative with a partner, i think that's more benefitial.

Quote Originally Posted by DNL
    I prefer to train alone, so no i don't do forced reps. but you can always try doing negative with a partner, i think that's more benefitial.
    Heavy negatives are by far more beneficial. But just like forced reps, they are considered to be intensity techniques and should only be rarely used. IMO, at the most, once every month per exercise.

I do one forced rep per set. Seems to be working wonders for my bench.

But i generally do at least 3 cleans before i hit failure. I don't ever max.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-10-2006 at 12:49 PM.

Straight outta Compton
    Hmm. Curious question here as well: When working my chest (Flat BB Bench) I follow a reverse-pyramid workout and when I can complete that workout (a reverse-pyramid specifically set for a bench max of 240 for example) I move up to the next workout. When I get to the next teir I usually cannot do the last two sets (a two rep set, then a one rep set). If I can't get the two rep I will get a spotter to force those reps for me, but if I can't get the one rep, I usually skip it and go on to another aspect of my workout for the day. Now, if I can't get the two rep set, should I have that one be force and get my one rep set forced or should I just skip those until my body naturally is ready to lift up the weight required?
    6'5" 200lbs