Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugary sweets as a good snack?

Banned

Sugary sweets as a good snack?

I'm currently being told that sugary sweets (namely Nestle Fruit Pastilles) are a good snack, by a badminton player and sprinter. Is this true? I've always been taught sugary thing before exercise only, so the quick release energy is used, and not stored? They're saying otherwise. They say they know best because they've been talking to professional nutritionalists.

Wannabebig New Member
    I have been with numerus nutritionalists about my sporting career as I am a body builder and i have been told that snacks such as fruit pastilles are a good snack in a considerable amount because the have nil fat and plentiful amount of carbs in all what you have been informed is correct. if you need anymore information then dont hesitate to get back in touch with me.

Wannabebig New Member
    [QUOTE=Nickthebassist]Is this true? I've always been taught sugary thing before exercise only, so the quick release energy is used, and not stored? QUOTE]
    Even if it is stored as glycogen and not fat so it will get converted back to glucose when you next exercise. The glucose is then used up by the muscles in respiration.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Muscle
    I have been with numerus nutritionalists about my sporting career as I am a body builder and i have been told that snacks such as fruit pastilles are a good snack in a considerable amount because the have nil fat and plentiful amount of carbs in all what you have been informed is correct. if you need anymore information then dont hesitate to get back in touch with me.
    Sounds familiar....get off the forum Nez.

Sugary sweets are never a good snack.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Agreed. Have a protein shake.

Quote Originally Posted by BCC
    Sugary sweets are never a good snack.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What the HYOOOOGE guy said. I think Chase knows a thing or two about how the game is played, so I would listen to him.
    Nick V

Empty calories. Non-essential macronutrient. No micronutrients.
    Last edited by TheGimp; 04-26-2006 at 09:35 AM.

Banned
    Thanks guys, some lads from my school found the forum and found this amusing. They also think people on this forum don't know ****, because of coruse they've had this super duper professional nurtitionalist tell them ****. tuttut

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Junk food is GREAT pre-workout. It really is. I looked at all the energy drinks (red-bull, AMP, etc.) as well as most bodybuilding pre-workout shakes and they all have the same things in them. SUGAR. Yea you have caffeine, taurine etc. in them but sugar gives you great pumps. I usually down a a red bull before every workout and havent had a problem since.

Pro bodybuilders down tons of sugar before shows. Why? Gets the blood flowing making their veins show better. Any other time though sugar is a terrible thing to eat.

Actually i've also looked at it and theres not much difference between soda and most energy drinks. Makes you wonder about mountain dew and AMP.

-jordan

BTW. I also ALWAYS eat some good healthy complex carbs 3 hours before my workouts. The red bulls just give a good spike right when I need it. As built said "If your going to eat bad food atleast let it work for you".
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 04-27-2006 at 09:14 AM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool
    Junk food is GREAT pre-workout. It really is. I looked at all the energy drinks (red-bull, AMP, etc.) as well as most bodybuilding pre-workout shakes and they all have the same things in them. SUGAR. Yea you have caffeine, taurine etc. in them but sugar gives you great pumps. I usually down a a red bull before every workout and havent had a problem since.

Pro bodybuilders down tons of sugar before shows. Why? Gets the blood flowing making their veins show better. Any other time though sugar is a terrible thing to eat.

Actually i've also looked at it and theres not much difference between soda and most energy drinks. Makes you wonder about mountain dew and AMP.

-jordan

BTW. I also ALWAYS eat some good healthy complex carbs 3 hours before my workouts. The red bulls just give a good spike right when I need it. As built said "If your going to eat bad food atleast let it work for you".
    uhh, can i get a citation from a credible source?

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

also, all the sugars in energy drinks are usually fructose. if you want something to give you energy whip up a shake with some dextrose/maltodextrin in it for an energy boost. and caffeine is always nice as well.
    Last edited by Optimum08; 04-27-2006 at 08:31 PM.

"No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum08
    also, all the sugars in energy drinks are usually fructose, the worst of the sugars. if you want something to give you energy whip up a shake with some dextrose/maltodextrin in it for an energy boost. and caffeine is always nice as well.
    No, AMP has maltodextrin in their energy drinks. Also im pretty sure the majority of energy drinks do NOT have fructose type sugars in them. I have a can of red bull in my hand and I drank an AMP earlier both of which had atleast one of the type of sugars you mentioned. As for the bodybuilders link i have a video of it if you want to watch it. Not a credible source but i mean its not exactly something you can do a study on.

-jordan
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 04-27-2006 at 08:25 PM.
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

if amp has maltodextrin, then it is not near the same as soda as you said in your post.

all regular sodas are pumped full of high fructose corn syrup, so i don't see how you are making the claim that because they list the same amount of sugar they are the same thing? even u said that energy drinks don't have fructose in them so how can they even be compared to soda?

if amp has maltodextrin, then it is not near the same as soda as you said in your post.
    Yea so. I didnt say it was exactly like soda but they do have alot of similarities like the caffeine for one, carbonation and without even talking about the KINDS of sugar they both do have alot of it.

Sooo yeeea...

-jordan
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

all sugars are not equal, so amounts of sugars don't really mean anything. and in reality there isn't enough caffeine in either sodas or energy drinks to do a significant amount to energy levels unless you are really sensitive to stimulants.
    Last edited by Optimum08; 04-27-2006 at 08:37 PM.

all sugars are not equal, so amounts of sugars don't really mean anything. and in reality there isn't enough caffeine in either sodas or energy drinks to do a significant amount to energy levels unless you are really sensitive to stimulants.
    Not really, it dosent take much caffeine to get you "pumped" atleast it dosent for me and i'd consider myself a pretty big guy. Usually I drink two red bulls though.

-jordan
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

good for you. but back to the OP, sugary sweets like pastrys are not good for preworkout. if you want something for energy get some high GI carbs like dextrose or maltodextrin and take some down.

good for you. but back to the OP, sugary sweets like pastrys are not good for preworkout. if you want something for energy get some high GI carbs like dextrose or maltodextrin and take some down.
    I didnt mean any offense by it im just saying caffeines a pretty strong stimulant. But yea anyways we'll just get back on topic.

OP listen to opitmum.

I looove red bull.

-jordan
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 04-27-2006 at 08:50 PM.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

haha, i didn't mean to sound like an asshat, im sorry if it seemed that way, i was just tryin to gauge where you got your info etc., i actually do enjoy red bull also, although i like the sugar free stuff a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool
    Junk food is GREAT pre-workout.
    No, it ain't.

There's a teeny-weeny difference between a pro bb ****loading to get full and dry for a show, and a normal guy trying to hit a new pr that day on bench.

This I agree on.
    Last edited by brickt.; 04-27-2006 at 09:31 PM.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

Garbage loading is not an extremely common practice I might add.

[QUOTE=bumbells]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickthebassist
    Is this true? I've always been taught sugary thing before exercise only, so the quick release energy is used, and not stored? QUOTE]
    Even if it is stored as glycogen and not fat so it will get converted back to glucose when you next exercise. The glucose is then used up by the muscles in respiration.
    For a first post, this is a good one.

A job well done.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Slim Schaedle]
    Quote Originally Posted by bumbells
    For a first post, this is a good one.

A job well done.
    Explain why people who eat excess sugar get fat then....