The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Will this routine help me build mass??

I am interested in building a defined muscular physique. I am almost 5' 11" and weigh about 160 lbs. My goal is to gain 25 lbs by July. I have never lifted weights before but I think I have the genetic potential to gain muscle fast because I have always had an athletic build. Currently I'm short on cash to join any gym, so I have been using my parents universal weight cable machine. I know that free weights are generally known to build muscle faster since it excercises the stabilizer muscles, but I'm hoping to start with the cable machine and make some decent gains. (If I can) I have been training for about a week now and I have been taking Whey Protein powder along with a cup of milk to get the 160 grams of protein per day that my body needs to build muscle. I drink about 3 gallons of milk per week, and always drink before and after a workout. I plan on buying some weight gainer powder (for those extra calories) and creatine when I can afford it. I've been eating lots of tuna, hamburgers, poultry, hard boiled eggs and basically anything I can get my hands on that will give me that extra protein boost. I have been researching alot about bodybuilding on the internet and I am very excited and passionate about getting a ripped body for the summer. Well, anyway here is my routine. Any advice on helping me reach my goal would be greatly appreciated....

Upper Body Training (Monday's and Friday's)

Chest- 5 pyramid set of butterflys followed by a superset of pushups till muscle failure.

Shoulders- 5 pyramid sets of upright rows followed by a superset of pushups till muscle failure.

Back- 5 pyramid sets of lateral pulldowns followed by 12 reps of a superset of reverse grip pulldowns.

Triceps- 5 pyramid sets of close grip pushdowns followed by a superset of bench dips till muscle failure.

Biceps- 5 pyramid sets of cable bicep curls followed by 12 reps of a superset of seated rows. (My favorite excercise)

Lower Body Training (Wednesday's)

Quads- 5 pyramid sets of leg extensions followed by 12 reps of a superset of standing lunges.

Hamstrings- 5 pyramid sets of leg curls

Calves- 5 sets of standing calf raises x20 reps

Abs- 5 sets of abdominal crunches x12 reps followed by a superset of crunch twists.

With the limited equipment that I have to work with, I am hoping that these excercises and diet that I have been following will help me accomplish my goal. My pyramid technique starts out with a light weight with high reps and gradually gets heavier with low reps. I rest for about 1 minute between sets except of course on the superset. On opposite days I try to get in at least 20minutes of cardio training. I'm not sure if I'm on the right track but hopefully by joining this forum discussion, I can learn from the more experienced lifters out there. Any friendly advice is welcome....

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Would like to see you get a barbell and some weights. That'd go alot longer for you than the unverisal gym but we use what we can.

Do a reverse pyramid. Do a few warm up sets with no more than 5 reps working your way up. Get to your heavy sets and then work your way down increasing the reps as you go. You'll get more results that way. Don't waste time working your way up. Get the heaviest weight possible early and that way you can do more. More weight equals more gains.

Keep eating. Lifting heavy will only get you so far. You grow in the kitchen and in bed. You set the foundation for it in the weight room.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    Would like to see you get a barbell and some weights. That'd go alot longer for you than the unverisal gym but we use what we can.

Do a reverse pyramid. Do a few warm up sets with no more than 5 reps working your way up. Get to your heavy sets and then work your way down increasing the reps as you go. You'll get more results that way. Don't waste time working your way up. Get the heaviest weight possible early and that way you can do more. More weight equals more gains.

Keep eating. Lifting heavy will only get you so far. You grow in the kitchen and in bed. You set the foundation for it in the weight room.
    so you feel reverse pyramids are more beneficial then just regular ones?
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Yes. Think about it, lets say you are doing squats. 10 reps with 135, 8 reps with 185 and 6 reps with 225. Why not do 5 reps with 135, 3 reps with 185 (to get acclimated to the weight) then 8 reps with 225 (which if you aren't wasting your energy building up to it, you could do), probably another set of 225 or even 8 reps of 185, followed by 10 reps with 135.

More total workload done that way. I can almost guarantee that you'll move more weight that way. Much stronger which will produce better results.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue
    My goal is to gain 25 lbs by July.
    Ain't gonna happen my friend.

But stay on this site, read through the posts (starting with the stickies at the top), realize who the knowledgable people are and seek out their advice.

As for your workout routine, it's junk. But if all you've got is an old universal machine then you're doing the best you can with limited resources and I can respect that. But with that said, those exercises will not maximize muscle growth.

Banned
    There are 7 weeks until July. 25 / 7 ~ 3.5 lbs/week. It is definately possible to gain this much WEIGHT. It is definately NOT possible to gain this much weight and not be FAT.

Wannabebig Member
    Currently I'm short on cash to join any gym, so I have been using my parents universal weight cable machine. I know that free weights are generally known to build muscle faster since it excercises the stabilizer muscles, but I'm hoping to start with the cable machine and make some decent gains. (If I can) I have been training for about a week now and I have been taking Whey Protein powder along with a cup of milk to get the 160 grams of protein per day that my body needs to build muscle. I drink about 3 gallons of milk per week, and always drink before and after a workout. I plan on buying some weight gainer powder (for those extra calories) and creatine when I can afford it. I've been eating lots of tuna, hamburgers, poultry, hard boiled eggs and basically anything I can get my hands on that will give me that extra protein boost
    Do Chinups on a tree or something, Dips, Handstand pushups up against a wall...these are good exercises you can do without equipment. You really need to get you an olympic barbell set as soon as you get $300.00
    Maybe can get one cheaper used???

Dietwise-forget creatine, forget weight gainer, don't eat so much protein...you don't need that much...try eating some almonds, natural peanut butter, cottage cheese, oats...you need fat in there also, good fats...
    You have MUCH further you can go without ingesting weight gainer that has a million ingredients that are terrible for you...my advice is NEVER use a weight gainer...use food
    Creatine without a program of mostly free weights utilzing compound movements is kinda pointless...save your money and use it to buy an olympic set of weights

Well, I got my routine idea from a book I got at the library called "Body for Life" by Bill Philips. Maybe it would be a good idea to rotate my routines and reverse the pyramid?? I read that it's generally a good idea to switch up your routine once in awhile to shock the body so it doesn't get too used to the same thing all the time. I will try to invest in a decent set of free weights once I get the neccessary cash for it, but for now I'm hoping that these excercises will help me prepare and gain strength for future free weight routines. As far as the eating goes, I have read that body builders gain weight first even though some of the weight will be fat, and then they switch their routine and get definition. So I guess my question is should I continue my routine and keep my diet the same, while focused on my goal to hit 185, and then tone up?? Another question is why is a weight gainer bad for you?? It seems like the weight gainer will help get me the extra calories I need for my daily caloric intake. Shouldn't I be trying to gain mass and then go for definition??

My advice is do whatever you can to get the money to join a gym.

Sing on a street corner, take quarters from shopping carts, cut grass, get a job, ask your parents to advance your next birthday gift, sell old stuff you don't need... just do whatever you can to get the money (try to keep it legal). Going to the gym will benefit you so much more than using some dinky little home machine. Not only that, but you'll outgrow it reeeally fast.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjalien
    Dietwise-forget creatine, forget weight gainer, don't eat so much protein...you don't need that much...try eating some almonds, natural peanut butter, cottage cheese, oats...you need fat in there also, good fats...
    I wouldn't worry about eating too much protein. Your only concern should be hitting your minimums of carbs, fat and protein, then fill in the rest of your cals with whatever you want.
    Also, almonds, natty PB, and cottage cheese are all high in protein.

You have MUCH further you can go without ingesting weight gainer that has a million ingredients that are terrible for you...my advice is NEVER use a weight gainer...use food
    I agree, eat real food whenever possible. But a million ingredients that are terrible for you? What is in a weight gainer that would make you NEVER use one?

Creatine without a program of mostly free weights utilzing compound movements is kinda pointless...save your money and use it to buy an olympic set of weights
    I also agree. Creatine is good to get a few more reps out here and there. I would use it after the basics (diet and exercise) are down.

I have read that body builders gain weight first even though some of the weight will be fat, and then they switch their routine and get definition. So I guess my question is should I continue my routine and keep my diet the same, while focused on my goal to hit 185, and then tone up??
    Yes, bodybuilders do gain weight even though some of it is fat. It is easier to lift heavy weights when you weigh more, especially when some of that extra weight is muscle.
    Bodybuilders, however, do NOT lose weight by switch their ROUTINE. They lose weight by changing their DIET. No routine in the world can change what you weigh...only food can do that.
    "Toning up" is a curse word around here To me that would mean losing bodyfat, so after you hit your goal you would cut.
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 05-10-2006 at 10:14 PM.

Well, I stepped on the scale today, and I've gained about 3 lbs in about 1 week. (I'm currently 163) I should have no problem hitting 185 by July. I know it won't all be muscle, but my plan is to bulk up first and then cut. I went to GNC today and bought a canister of weight gainer 1850 for about 12 bucks. My plan is to mix some of it with my whey protein powder with a tall glass of milk and drink about 3 of them daily. I'm thinking of doing the weighted pushups that I have read in another post since I am limited on equipment resources. I must say I'm getting tempted to work out more than 3times per week since I have extra time on my hands as of right now. I really enjoy the endorphin release after an explosive weight training session. Right now my routine lasts for about one hour per session. My question to you guys is how many times per week do you train?? and how long do your sessions last?? I've heard it's not good to overtrain since it will hinder your gains, but how do you know if you're overtraining or not???

Well, I got my routine idea from a book I got at the library called "Body for Life" by Bill Philips. Maybe it would be a good idea to rotate my routines and reverse the pyramid?? I read that it's generally a good idea to switch up your routine once in awhile to shock the body so it doesn't get too used to the same thing all the time. I will try to invest in a decent set of free weights once I get the neccessary cash for it, but for now I'm hoping that these excercises will help me prepare and gain strength for future free weight routines. As far as the eating goes, I have read that body builders gain weight first even though some of the weight will be fat, and then they switch their routine and get definition. So I guess my question is should I continue my routine and keep my diet the same, while focused on my goal to hit 185, and then tone up?? Another question is why is a weight gainer bad for you?? It seems like the weight gainer will help get me the extra calories I need for my daily caloric intake. Shouldn't I be trying to gain mass and then go for definition??
    I'm not a fan of BFL. Better than most off-the-shelf products, but rife with fundamental flaws. Pyramids are not an optimal training strategy.

"Cutting" routines are part of old-school BB mythology. Training is hardly any different from bulking to cutting - there's a drop in volume as your calories go down (just keep the weight on the bar - short and heavy lifts, exactly the opposite of the old-school nonsense), but the biggest change is that your calories go down. Keep protein and fat no lower than a gram per pound LBM and a half a gram per pound LBM respectively - you'll need those.

Do Chinups on a tree or something, Dips, Handstand pushups up against a wall...these are good exercises you can do without equipment. You really need to get you an olympic barbell set as soon as you get $300.00
    Maybe can get one cheaper used???

Creatine actually has a number of health benefits outside of lifting, and it's cheap (monohydrate is cheap, anyway). I take a teaspoon a day year round. But free weights really ARE the way to go.

Banned
    My question to you guys is how many times per week do you train?? and how long do your sessions last?? I've heard it's not good to overtrain since it will hinder your gains, but how do you know if you're overtraining or not???
    I am using WBB1, so 3 times a week and about an hour per session. Feeling tired, weak, and not making any gains from workout to workout (strength, more specifically) are indicators of overtraining.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    Yes. Think about it, lets say you are doing squats. 10 reps with 135, 8 reps with 185 and 6 reps with 225. Why not do 5 reps with 135, 3 reps with 185 (to get acclimated to the weight) then 8 reps with 225 (which if you aren't wasting your energy building up to it, you could do), probably another set of 225 or even 8 reps of 185, followed by 10 reps with 135.

More total workload done that way. I can almost guarantee that you'll move more weight that way. Much stronger which will produce better results.
    Solid call, I have always been a fan of pyramids but never done reverse ones. Will try it out once I'm bulking again and going higher rep.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

I worked out my upper body yesterday but noticed today that my muscles aren't getting sore like when I first started lifting. Does this mean I need to increase the weight and work the muscles harder?? and if so, what should I increase the weight by? 5 lbs?? 10 lbs?? (and thanks to all that have been answering my questions, I really appreciate it!!)

Increment whenever you can get through all your sets and reps. Increment by the smallest amount you can, as often as you can.

You won't always get sore after workouts anymore. It doesn't mean you're not growing.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing
    I wouldn't worry about eating too much protein. Your only concern should be hitting your minimums of carbs, fat and protein, then fill in the rest of your cals with whatever you want.
    Also, almonds, natty PB, and cottage cheese are all high in protein.

I agree, eat real food whenever possible. But a million ingredients that are terrible for you? What is in a weight gainer that would make you NEVER use one?

I also agree. Creatine is good to get a few more reps out here and there. I would use it after the basics (diet and exercise) are down.

Yes, bodybuilders do gain weight even though some of it is fat. It is easier to lift heavy weights when you weigh more, especially when some of that extra weight is muscle.
    Bodybuilders, however, do NOT lose weight by switch their ROUTINE. They lose weight by changing their DIET. No routine in the world can change what you weigh...only food can do that.
    "Toning up" is a curse word around here To me that would mean losing bodyfat, so after you hit your goal you would cut.
    I was just making sure the guy isn't overdosing on protein like so many people do. Not sure if he is taking in JUST 160 grams or 400grams. If he is 160 pounds he is probably getting enough in his diet without even having to make adjustments.

Some people disagree (most lifters i know) but i think the insane amounts of protein have no use, cant be properly utilized by the body, strain the liver, etc...training individuals require more, but not a ton more. Plenty of physiques have been built without incredible amounts of protein (yeah i know plenty have been built WITH it too )...160 grams a day more than enough to get the job done.

There are MANY ingredients in weight gainers that would make me NEVER use one...why
    1)I can make my own that is much healthier...costs less
    2)Lets also start with how much "sugar" is in a weightgainer. TONS. Without writing a book...anything with that many ingredients is not good for you...nor will it be properly absorbed into your digestive system...in some cases the ingredients of your "weight gainer" may even be hindering your growth and depleting your B vitamins (which cause growth).
    If i had time i could go explain further (in another thread later). Till then do a search on all the ingredients of your weight gainer and the scientific study behind each one. I think you'll realize your better off buying a blender and throwing some real food into it.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Creatine actually has a number of health benefits outside of lifting, and it's cheap (monohydrate is cheap, anyway). I take a teaspoon a day year round. But free weights really ARE the way to go.
    What are the health benefits outside of enhanced athletic performance?

peace

Enhanced memory capacity just for starters.