The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Eszekial's Journal

Well it's about time I started one of these journals. I don't know why i've been apprehensive about it! But this is becoming more and more a part of my life so I think now is a perfect time

Quick Bio. 19, been working out for about 4-5 years. Never gained because my diet was pure trash. As of today, 5/10/06 i'm 6'1, 205, estimated body fat of 13.5%

I'm currently on my first cut (thanks in very large part, to the esteemed Built!), and I'm down 20 lbs from 225.

My current stats are:
    Bench: 265 x3
    A$$ to Floor Squats: 265 x 5
    Dead: None yet ><

I live in Sunny Riverside California. I currently live with 3 roomates who are all fatties Makes it hard to diet properly at times, when they bring home chinese food. Gotta build up my willpower.

Currently, I work as a commercial loan officer for a Bank. Hoping to get a promotion soon. In my spare time I'm hoping to complete my ISSA course and become a Certified Fitness Trainer.

Link to my fitday. Please feel free to check in on my diet and berate me for any failures!
    http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...l?Owner=woshka

To begin, yesterday 5/9/06 i cheated (on chinese food) and had 3000 calories. I'm extra dilligent today to make up for yesterday.

The insulin spike hit me hard and i passed out at 8 o'clock. Woke up 3 times but basically got 10 hours of good sleep. A good rebound off of 2 - 6 hour days before.

So far today, diet is solid. I plan to swim tonight. Not sure about weight training today. Legs are still slightly sore from squats on monday. Plan as of now is bench and back training.

Current Supplements
    1. Nitrean
    2. Creatine (AtLarge)
    3. Echinacea Purpurea (TruNature)
    4. Fish Oil (Optimum Nutrition)
    5. Caffeine (Prolab)
    6. Ephderine/Guaifenesin (Mega-Pro)

Things to do:
    1. Get 8.5 hours a sleep
    2. Remember to get in 10 fish oil pills
    3. Don't skimp on pre/post work out nutrition
    4. Teach my cruddy work out partner how to squat
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-11-2006 at 09:49 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Just received a call from my insurance company. Some horrible evil people hit my brand new Silverado 2500HD and then tried to skip out on paying me! I even offered to give them a ride home on the night of.

After 3 months of struggeling with them to pay me, i finally reported to the insurance co. and they again denied anything ever happened.

Little know to them, i went to their house and snapped pics of their little mini-van. The thing that upsets me the most is that they live a hop, skip, and a jump from a golf course (then again, so do i).

Heard today that i will be getting my $500 deductible back, which is good news after i spent $3,500 in legal fees.

The Lord is good.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-10-2006 at 05:05 PM.

Finished yesterday off well. Didn't do any weights like I had planned, but I got a good 20 minute swim in. Been trying to get my sleep in order as i rarely get even 7 hours of sleep. Luckily last night i was able to get 7.5 - 8 hrs of sleep. Getting enough sleep is one area where I always struggle.

Diet yesterday was pretty solid. Calories were perhaps a little too low. I had to struggle with calories yesterday and downed a little too much milk with my protein shake to try and catch up. Think i ended at about 3.5 glasses of milk and 1700 calories for the day.

Today I will try to be closer to 1900, and i absolutely have to get some weight training in today. Today will be a back day.

On a lighter note, tried hitting on a 7/10 Asian girl at the gym. Got blown off with the "will you be here tomorrow," line....

Oh the joys of being shot down!

On the way to work I figured that pretty soon I will be able to take advantage for some new things and take my training even further.

1. Get a Promotion, Therefore More Money
    2. With a Promotion Comes 'making your own hours,' which should allow for 8 hours a sleep a night. Training when I want too
    3. Have money to stock up on supplements and food.
    4. Move out on your own so you don't have fatass roomates around, always scarfing chinese food.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-11-2006 at 10:13 AM.

My bro use to be a loan officer and made some pretty good money doing it. Good to see you're cutting and doing such a good job at it. Down 20 lbs is pretty good. I'm 19 also but I weigh about 185. I'm doing the opposite as you
    hate the sin love the sinner

Starting my own brokerage company in about 3-4 months once we can obtain a brokerage license.

I'm really hoping I can put together some construction loans for some gyms

thanks for the feedback btw!
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-11-2006 at 12:17 PM.

Had a wonderful back workout this afternoon. Did dead's for the first time in a very long time. My back is definetly my weak link.

Session
    RLDL
    2s 135x10
    2s 225x3
    1s 225x5

Over Head Dumbel Fly's
    50x8
    55x8
    60x8

Tbar Row
    2s 45x10
    2s 100x 8
    1s 125x 5

Machine Fly (These are silly, don't do these on a cut as i can't put on enough weight for them to be meaningful)
    1s 180 x8
    1s 200 x8
    1s 220 x8

Wide Grip Chin Up (behind the neck)
    1s x4
    1s x6

Nutrtion was great.
    Macros ended up being
    Totals 2224c 126f 107c 162p

estimate 7 hrs of sleep.

Things to Do:
    1. Learn how to clean properly
    2. Narrow Down an Actual Back Workout
    3. See a doctor about my low back / hip.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-11-2006 at 11:19 PM.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

I hear Riverside, Calif is beautiful and pricey which shouldn't matter since you're in the money, lol...good back session.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa
    I hear Riverside, Calif is beautiful and pricey which shouldn't matter since you're in the money, lol...good back session.
    Yeah, and you'll see a lot of it, because you'll be spending 2 hours in commute time to travel 30 miles

In the money? Not yet, but soon! (I'll share!)

Bulking Routine
    Preparing for my bulk which will hopefully be coming soon. Here's the work out i'm planning on using, 4 days a week. Prepared by Paul Stagg;

I would immediatley change your routine to something far more basic and simple.

MWF do the following:

Squat 2x15
    SLDL 3x10
    Row 3x8-12
    Bench press 3x8-12
    Chin 3x asmanyasyoucando
    OH press 3x8-12

After the workout, add in some other stuff you want to do - shrugs, abs, curls.. Just don't overdo it - spend 15 minutes or so on this stuff.

Add weight every single workout to the squats, and get the reps. No matter what. If you have to stand there for 10 minutes between reps 14 and 15, do it.

It's geared for a beginner, and it's geared toward getting bigger, as well as teaching you how to work hard and push through barriers.

You might add 20 pounds one workout, you might add 5 the next. Generally, people don't use as much weight as they really can.

Lets say the OP starts out at 2x15 @ 135. The next workout, he does 2x15 @ 145. He keeps going like this for 2 weeks (6 workouts). He ends up on the Monday of the third week using 2x15 @ 195. That isn't all that crazy, is it? Some workouts, if he feels really good, he might add 20 pounds instead of 10. If he's feeling not so good, or the prior workout was really brutal, he might only add 5 pounds. When he gets to the point that it gets really, really hard, he's going to learn how to push through it. If that means standing there with the bar on your back until you can do another rep, that's how it goes.

But it will teach him to work hard in the gym, get his high rep squat poundage up, and put some muscle on him. Keep in mind, adding weight to the squats is the main thing - the other stuff can stay the same from week to week if you like, although I would also try to bump it up.

The idea is from John McCallum's Keys to Progress. Everyone who lifts should read that book.

--------------

Condition
    Back is getting tigher throughout the day. Wasn't pumped last night but now I can feel it. Low back, hip, is hurting more than usual. Attribute it to bad form and rushing into deads.

Lesson learned (until next time).

Had a semi cheat meal this morning. Had a breakfast burrito from a local restaurant, with cottage cheese and some fruit. Not the worst, but i could have used less carbs in a longer period of time, less calories, spread it out more.

Workout Plan for Tonight
    Flat Bench
    2s 135 x 10
    3s 265 until failure. (8 rep max, 5 rep goal)

A$$ to Floor Squat (Might Skip These All Together if My back Still Hurts)
    2s 135 x 10
    3s 265 until failure. (8 rep max, 5 rep goal)

Wide Grip Chin's
    2s Failure (10 max)
    Close Grip Pull
    2s Failure. (10 max)
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-12-2006 at 02:15 PM.
    Eszekial's Journal

good luck on the bulk man, should be some big numbers in here.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    good luck on the bulk man, should be some big numbers in here.
    Hey thanks man! You're quite ripped yourself (and your cat does a mean dance!)
    Eszekial's Journal

This weekend was absolutely insane.

Had a crazy party friday night. Didn't sleep at all friday night and was up all of saturday. By sunday, i was so dehydrated i could see my abs in all their glory.

On a downer note, I feel flat and i think i might have lost some LBM. Oh well, the bulk is coming and i'l be rearing to put on some leg & back mass (much needed). Calories were good this weekend, but all things being equal i had a pretty ****ty diet. Definetly did not get my macros in.

My back & legs are hurting a lot. it's getting worse and I need to go see a doctor about this soon. I'm hoping it's a simple fix, but who knows.

Only workout I felt up for this whole weekend was yesterday. I did 4 sets of chin ups, and 30 minutes of SS cardio.

Weekends are never my strong point

Getting back on track tonight.

Planning on doing my usual squat / bench routine, perhaps a little bit of cardio afterwards.

Main thing is to get my protein macro and fat macro back to normal. Definetly feeling the side effects of missing an entire nights worth of sleep and eating ****tily.

On a (semi) personal note, I got the most wasted I have ever been in my life friday night. At about 4 am the party is winding down and there are only a few of us still standing. I'm coming off the drunkeness at this point and i feel like throwing up often and a lot (although I don't). It's just me and my best friend chatting it up with this girl. She's been pusing water on me all night and trying to help me not be sick (nice of her). I'm about ready to pass out so i go into my room and finally fall asleep. Maybe 20 minutes later, this girl sneaks into my room and we make out for like 4 hours (as i try not to throw up on her, how romantic). We fall asleep together and the next day she leaves and we don't even say goodbye. I feel used.....

Note to Self
    One night of guiltless fun always turns into at least a weeks worth of guilt.

Sorry for the rant for whoever's reading, but i haven't told anybody important yet, to protect the innocent... So it helps toi get it off your chest.
    Eszekial's Journal

Maybe you should have thrown up on her afterall.

The journal is looking good. Keep at it!
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Quote Originally Posted by -TIM-
    Maybe you should have thrown up on her afterall.

The journal is looking good. Keep at it!
    Yeah maybe Maybe if she wasn't so cute I could have had a laugh about it afterwards (maybe she was gawd ugly, but hey, i was drunk!)

For my consiousess, self respect (if there is such a thing), and state of mind (AND BODY!!!), I think i'm going to quit drinking all together. This marks my 4th or 5th time being drunk. Something bad happens every time!

To recap, first time i was drunk, i got kicked off the football team my senior year, and got lunch detention for 5 weeks.
    Next time, I think I made an ass of myself at the supermarket.
    third time, i got kicked out of a bowling alley. The security guard was a dope though.
    fouth time, read above. I might have also let some fat chicks feel my abs (oh the shame).

I think i would be more embarassed than anything haha!

I feel like i over ate the last two days because i was stuffed every time i ate. However, i ate mostly vegetables and starchs, and I ate 2 semi big meals.

Realistically I was probably dangerously low on calories, which would explain why I feel like **** 3 days later.

I think I need to shoot for 2000 calories today, and hopefully i'll start feeling better.

I replace my work chair today and my back feels twice as good as usual.

My old one was slanted in the direction of my phone, because i lean that way when i'm talking on it.

My spine or ass bone must be un-even.

I need to go see my chiropractor.

So far macros today are.

Totals 391c 21f 19c 28p
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-15-2006 at 11:44 AM.
    Eszekial's Journal

Today turned out to be one of my better calorie days.

Macros are:
    Totals 1707c 65f 84c 196p
    All very clean foods today. Should have gotten more fats in, but all my fats were clean fats today. So i think i'll live.

Today's workout was:
    Bench
    2s 135x10
    1s 275x1
    1s 265x1
    1s 255x3

I hope this isn't permanent but i feel like i lost some LBM during this weekend. Bench suffers because of it. All the more reason to quit drinking.

A$$ to the floor squats:
    2s 135 x10
    2s 225 x5
    1s 225 x4
    I really struggled on these squats. Although i don't seem to be gaining on them, they were a great work out and i felt like i definetly made some progress on form and working through the ROM. Was encouring for my bulk

Wide Grip Pulls (behind the neck)
    1s failure
    Close Group Pulls
    1s failure.

Things to Do
    Get in some Real food tomorrow
    Get some sleep (RIGHT NOW!)
    Keep track of Chin up / pull up #'s.
    Eszekial's Journal

Struggling on squats are a good thing, lol...ace benching numbers.

Beer goggles and ugly lights. That's all I'm gonna say.

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Cocoa
    There were a few times where i felt I was going to fail on the squats and I still pushed through. Can't remember many times I did that. Very encouraging.
    -Tim-
    No beer goggles and ugly lights man..... It was pitch dark

So far today diet has been pretty good although i've had to force myself to eat because i'm semi depressed over a whole bunch of non-sense (of which I posted a little about). That and, coming off the ephedra high doesn't help (can't help that my asthema sucks so bad! )

Tonight Is schedueled to be a Back / Shoulder Day.

On the agenda is:
    CLEAN DEADLIFTS! No messing around!
    2 warm up sets, 3 working
    Front and Side DB lateral Raises.
    3 working sets
    TBAR Row
    3 working sets
    Overhead BB Press
    3 working sets.

5 rep goal on each exercise. No more than 8, no less than 3.

Mood
    Dying for an EC fix
    Itching to pound some weights.
    Status
    Going pee for the 10th time today.
    Things To Do
    Stop being an arse, and post some before pictures.
    Get at least 8 hrs of sleep tonight.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-16-2006 at 05:27 PM.
    Eszekial's Journal

Getting to a level of depression that I have not experienced in years. Wanting to scream over and over.

How can I cope?

Sitting here waiting to go the gym..... Waiting for my damn work out partner.

Want to tell everybody what's going on.... That's how i deal.... Can't because this is too personal.....

WOrk out partners is finally here... I'm going to go smash some weights.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-16-2006 at 09:04 PM.
    Eszekial's Journal

Just had an amazing sick back workout. I feel like a mil.

Deadlifts
    2 warm up sets 135x10,
    3 working, 225x5 - near failure on the last 2 sets. Could barely grip the bar. Form is getting better

Front and Side DB lateral Raises.
    3 working sets 45x5, 40x5, 40x8

TBAR Row (should probably wait till my CNS develops more before doing dead's and tbar on the same day)
    (numbers exclude bar weigt)
    1 warm up, 90x10
    3 working sets 145x5, 160x5, 160x5

Overhead BB Press (wanted to quit bad, was near exhausted and had trouble getting the weight over my head, pushed through, felt fantastic)
    3 working sets.
    90x8

Now for a post work out meal!
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-16-2006 at 10:17 PM.
    Eszekial's Journal

Nice work in here. I used to be a loan officer, but I was doing the dirty sub-prime sh!t. Those commercial deals can pay off pretty damn well if you can see them through.

Keep up the good work.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Fine session dude, the back work does indeed looks nice.

E - whatever it is thats bringing you down, just keep you chin up and your legs pumping man. Youll get through it. AND KEEP GOING TO THE GYM! Smashing weights = good therapy.
    "Every time I come in the kitchen, you in the kitchen - in the G*****N refrigerator! Eatin' up all the food ... all the chicken, all the pig feet, all the collard greens..."

Quote Originally Posted by AlecB
    E - whatever it is thats bringing you down, just keep you chin up and your legs pumping man. Youll get through it. AND KEEP GOING TO THE GYM! Smashing weights = good therapy.
    The best therapy.

Saint, CoCoa, AlecB
    I do very much appreciate the encouragement! It means a lot! I just wish my numbers were a bit more fearsome

I'm officially 2 lbs lighter than i was a week and a half ago.

The weight is still moving and the fat is still coming off.

I'm officially down 22lbs.

8 more before I reach my goal.

Will re-asses then, and see if i want to continue the cut or start on a much wanted/needed bulk.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-17-2006 at 09:45 AM.
    Eszekial's Journal

Solid back session yesterday. Getting into the gym always helps when I'm mentally drained or stressed. It's a great way to blow off some steam or clear your head. Only focus is the task at hand, moving some iron. Good job on cutting weight too.

Quote Originally Posted by -TIM-
    Solid back session yesterday. Getting into the gym always helps when I'm mentally drained or stressed. It's a great way to blow off some steam or clear your head. Only focus is the task at hand, moving some iron. Good job on cutting weight too.
    Tim,
    Thank you for the continued encouragement!

Just saw your photos from 6mo's ago.

You have a sick natural taper!
    Eszekial's Journal