Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Incline Hammer Curl - 3 Minutes to giant arms article

Incline Hammer Curl - 3 Minutes to giant arms article

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/xrep7.htm

I came across this the other day, and thought I would share.

Thoughts? Opinions?

What are your goals? Many people will get desired bicep goals with a thorough and sufficently intense back workout.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Im fine with my workout, on my back day my bi's are sore big time ( T-Bar just kills em ).

I just came accross this, Ive never heard of incline hammer curls, I was reading more and the I saw that its part of a whole workout plan ( X rep ) I didn't realize that at first.

I quite like hammer curls, though I tend to do them one armed and standing up.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Would it be okay to substitute this method instead of the regular hammer curls from the WBB#1 routine?
    My Journal!
    My Fitday!
    Male, 19, 5' 11"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyskater52
    Would it be okay to substitute this method instead of the regular hammer curls from the WBB#1 routine?
    Yes. If you think any exercise is more effective for YOU than the one presribed in WBB1, switch it up!

Banned
    Is the brachialis on the outside of the arm? If so, that'd explain why my right arm looks bigger than the left from the back, as the right hand brachialis is bigger than the left! Also, what is an X-rep? And what if you only do 25lb dumbells for hammercurls? How can I drop it by 10-15lbs?!
    Last edited by Nickthebassist; 05-11-2006 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickthebassist
    Is the brachialis on the outside of the arm? If so, that'd explain why my right arm looks bigger than the left from the back, as the right hand brachialis is bigger than the left!
    http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Brachialis.html
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    Ahh, I was also wondering how to build them up today. Also, the article on X-Reps isn't very good on there, it doesn't show how to actually do them!

And what if you only do 25lb dumbells for hammercurls? How can I drop it by 10-15lbs?!

That's what the pink dumbbells on the end are for.

DJ

Ahh, I was also wondering how to build them up today. Also, the article on X-Reps isn't very good on there, it doesn't show how to actually do them!
    what is it excatly you are looking for ? build your bi's?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Banned
    what is it excatly you are looking for ? build your bi's?
    Well, everything really but arms especially(I guess it'd be easiest to do it with things like curls or tricep kickbacks, as the exercises require a squeeze at a certain point, so free weights would be easiest?). Until I know what an X-Rep is, I don't really know what to do.......can anyone post a link to a vid or anything?

you can also do chinups they'll hit your bi's pretty hard

dips for tri's weighted if you can

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Banned
    you can also do chinups they'll hit your bi's pretty hard

dips for tri's weighted if you can
    I can do 3-4 pullups, but that's it. They really aren't an option for me yet, to be honest(I need to work on my back before I start doing them). How would you X-rep on a pull up anyhow? And what is an X Rep(their site only leads you to an E-book...........how do we know this isn't all hype?).

gain 50lbs-Anthony

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Banned
    There's no way in hell I'll ever be able to go as low as that on the chins or the dips. The dips espeically so, they'd kill my already messed up elbows(thanks anyhow!). I do do a lot of mid rows, lows rows, lateral pull downs etc for my back. How would I X Rep those(and what is an X rep?), and also, which bit of my body would I want to squeeze(the static contraction, and also is this just tensing the muscle, or is there a technique to it?) and at what point in the rep?
    Last edited by Nickthebassist; 05-11-2006 at 12:10 PM.

There's no way in hell I'll ever be able to go as low as that on the chins or the dips. The dips espeically so, they'd kill my already messed up elbows(thanks anyhow!). I do do a lot of mid rows, lows rows, lateral pull downs etc for my back. How would I X Rep those(and what is an X rep?), and also, which bit of my body would I want to squeeze(the static contraction, and also is this just tensing the muscle, or is there a technique to it?) and at what point in the rep?
    http://x-rep.com/

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

From what I've been able to gather online an X-Rep is the same thing as a Partial rep. See below, I found the E book threw a search on yahoo.

http://www.diegomarchetti.com/downlo...assWorkout.pdf

Below is a quote I got from another board, I did not write this.

Actually the X-REP system is pretty innovative. You don't have to pay for all the "secrets"...the inventor of the system is a writer for the magazine Ironman. Last month's issue had a big write up about it and if you read carefully, you can pretty much walk away with enough knowledge to apply it.

Basically, to build muscle you have to fatigue it. Muscle is activated by motor units(a single neuron activates a selective group of muscle fibers). There are big and small motor units. It is the small motor units that fatigue first. This is where most people give up. Take for example the bench press...basically, the small/medium motor units(of the chest) are responsible for the last 1/2 to 2/3 of the movement. Larger motor units come into play when you require more force and, thus more muscle...which happens to be just after the muscle is fully stretched(that is, bar on the chest = stretched pectoralis). So you generate the most force just after the bar comes off your chest and just before the last 1/2 of the movement(when you begin to straighten you arms).

Now, to X-REP....once you can no longer make a full rep on bench(b/c the small/med motor units are fatigued), stay within the bottom half of the movement and rep out as many as you can. (Obviously this will require a spotter because you will be dominated after this!) This is how you fatigue the large motor units. We could argue all day about whether it is the nerve or the muscle that is fatiguing(doesn't matter cause it is the signals from the nerves that make muscle grow).

Does this make sense? However, one should only perform this movement once a week per body part, and only at the end of the set, otherwise you will quickly over train....

Banned
    I understand, I actually started doing this myself, not knowing what it'd do exactly, but that it was enabling me to do more reps when i was tired. So, if I'm doing a curl, once I'd finished 3 normal sets of 8-12 reps, I'd bring the weight up to half way and pump it up and down fast? How many 'pumps' should I do?

I understand, I actually started doing this myself, not knowing what it'd do exactly, but that it was enabling me to do more reps when i was tired. So, if I'm doing a curl, once I'd finished 3 normal sets of 8-12 reps, I'd bring the weight up to half way and pump it up and down fast? How many 'pumps' should I do?
    do heavy rows
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Look at the PDF link I posted last time, it says in there 4-6, but if you can pull out a couple more why not.

So anyway I tried X-reps tonight for the first time. Today is Shoulders and Tri's for me. Below is the routine I did and how I felt after the x-rep's.

Shoulder's.

Side lateral raise 3x8
    Shoulder Press 3x8 ( I've read recently to tilt the dumbells so at full extention your pinky finger is higher then your pointing finger, supposed to work the delts a little more, and so I also tried this for the first time and I felt it a little bit more, but like I said a little bit )
    Upright Row ( cable ) 3x8

The upright row is what I did the x-reps on and yeah I felt it big time. My bi's got a nice bump out of it as well. I was able to pull off about 8.

Tri's

Decline Skullcrushers 3x8 ( ever since I started doing them on a decline instead of a flat bench it just dominates my tri's I love it )
    Cable pushdown 3x8

The pushdown is what I did the X-reps on for my tri's. I was so burnt that I was not able to do a x-reps at the weight I was doing ( 100 pounds ) so I droped it right away to 80 and did about 6-7. With my tri's i didn't really feel it, normally Ill do a burn out at the end of my tri routine and I would feel that more than I did with the X-rep. I felt it was more effective for me on my shoulders. But than again maybe I wasnt doing them right??

Occupational Hypnomania
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/xrep7.htm

This site has videos underneath the picture of the guy if you still dont get it.
    Anyways this Xrep thing is a good idea to do then?
    Last edited by Turnip; 05-12-2006 at 01:07 AM.

nice find View 1. Wish Id seen this yesterday before my arm workout. Looks like it will have to wait til next week.

My buddy showed me something similar that his enormous friend taught him. Basically its seated hammer curls to failure than immediately halving the weight and doing it again to failure. They call the routine "Lyles" after the guy who did them. His arms looked like oak logs...
    "Every time I come in the kitchen, you in the kitchen - in the G*****N refrigerator! Eatin' up all the food ... all the chicken, all the pig feet, all the collard greens..."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/xrep1.htm

"I think the X Reps on multi-joint exercises gave us the majority of our quick gains."

Looks like they had better results for compound exercises like squats.
    "Every time I come in the kitchen, you in the kitchen - in the G*****N refrigerator! Eatin' up all the food ... all the chicken, all the pig feet, all the collard greens..."