Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Incline Hammer Curl - 3 Minutes to giant arms article

Occupational Hypnomania
    You mean they do xrep for stuff like squats, ima have to check this out.

WTF is this?

Do you people think that doing partial or Xreps or whatever are the secret to big guns. LOL, this is too much.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Occupational Hypnomania
    I just do whatever you guys tell me to do, im a pushover like that. Anyways Im really wondering how they are able to do any extra work after a set of squats till failure, I have a hard time even walking..

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by View 1
    From what I've been able to gather online an X-Rep is the same thing as a Partial rep. See below, I found the E book threw a search on yahoo.

http://www.diegomarchetti.com/downlo...assWorkout.pdf

Below is a quote I got from another board, I did not write this.

Actually the X-REP system is pretty innovative. You don't have to pay for all the "secrets"...the inventor of the system is a writer for the magazine Ironman. Last month's issue had a big write up about it and if you read carefully, you can pretty much walk away with enough knowledge to apply it.

Basically, to build muscle you have to fatigue it. Muscle is activated by motor units(a single neuron activates a selective group of muscle fibers). There are big and small motor units. It is the small motor units that fatigue first. This is where most people give up. Take for example the bench press...basically, the small/medium motor units(of the chest) are responsible for the last 1/2 to 2/3 of the movement. Larger motor units come into play when you require more force and, thus more muscle...which happens to be just after the muscle is fully stretched(that is, bar on the chest = stretched pectoralis). So you generate the most force just after the bar comes off your chest and just before the last 1/2 of the movement(when you begin to straighten you arms).

Now, to X-REP....once you can no longer make a full rep on bench(b/c the small/med motor units are fatigued), stay within the bottom half of the movement and rep out as many as you can. (Obviously this will require a spotter because you will be dominated after this!) This is how you fatigue the large motor units. We could argue all day about whether it is the nerve or the muscle that is fatiguing(doesn't matter cause it is the signals from the nerves that make muscle grow).

Does this make sense? However, one should only perform this movement once a week per body part, and only at the end of the set, otherwise you will quickly over train....

There are no "secrets" to building mass. Train hard, eat lots, rest lots and you will grow. X-reps or partial reps have been around for a long time. They are just one of the many tools a lifter can use.

As for building muscle, no you do not have to fatigue it. Simply stimulate it and give it plenty of nutrients and rest. And it will grow.
    Training to failure has not been proven to be any more productive than stopping short of failure. Not to mention it can be more taxing on the CNS.

There is a secret to getting big arms.

Get bigger.

The bigger I get from heavy compound lifts and sound nutrition, the bigger my arms get, regardless of my 'arm workout'.

Now, if you are working on improving an already impressive physique, specific arm work will matter more.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnip
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/xrep7.htm

This site has videos underneath the picture of the guy if you still dont get it.
    Anyways this Xrep thing is a good idea to do then?
    So you do X-reps between the full range curls? I thought you did them at the end? And yes, the X-Reps do work, I did some today at school, and my arms are still really pumped up, 10 hours later.

LOFL. And we all know that how your arms feel after a workout is THE guage of a successfull workout.

The "secrets" to success have already been given by xtreme and paul in this thread. There are no shortcuts.

--Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    30th U.S. President

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    LOFL. And we all know that how your arms feel after a workout is THE guage of a successfull workout.

The "secrets" to success have already been given by xtreme and paul in this thread. There are no shortcuts.
    The X-reps make my arms feel much more pumped than they usually do. There's scientific evidence behind their claims, you can't just disregard it.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    WTF is this?

Do you people think that doing partial or Xreps or whatever are the secret to big guns. LOL, this is too much.
    I dont think anybody said that? Or did I miss something? There are a million and one ways to work out. A million and one different routines, and or secrets that people have to get "BIGGER". I just came accross this and thought I would share. Like I stated It worked for my shoulders but not my tri's. Im sure for some it will work others it wont. I guess you just have to try and see.

On another note I tried it on my back last night. My back routine is a fallows.

Deadlifts - 4-6
    Lat pull downs 3x8 ( I use the V-grip because my right rotater cuff has issues )
    T-Bar rows - 3x8
    Shrugs - 3x10

I used the X-reps on the T-bar and it worked pretty good. I can feel it alot in my upper back and traps.

Honestly why it seems like so far it is helping a little I guess Im going to see if I having any big gains in the next month or so.

I read this and the next day i did

Standing BarBell Curls 5 5 7
    DB curls 5 5 7
    Incline DB curls 7 5 5
    HammerHead curls 5 5 5

Just to mix it up a lil bit and my arms hurt more then they ever have today. It feels pretty nice tho.
    Stats

Current(May1st) (June8th) Goals(September 1st)
    Bench 245 -------255-----300(reached 225x6 june 14th)
    Squat 350 -------injured----450
    Deadlift 315 ------injured----370

height 5"11
    weight 185(stay at 185)
    40(tested 4/19/06)4.75

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Feeling "pumped" or "sore" or whatever is NOT a gauge of a sucessful workout.

Soreness only means that your muscles are sore. Pumped only means that your muscles are full of blood.

Neither means that you will grow. Neither means that you had a good workout.

This has been gone over and over and over again in these forums.

Progression in size and strength is what makes a good workout. And there are a number of ways to achieve this. Partial reps (while a legitimate training technique) are generally not considered the best way to achieve such progression. A full ROM is generally considered superior to these movements.

If you like them do them. But don't expect massive improvements. If you try a new routine or new exercise, of course you are going to "feel it more" than you usually do. It's something new. But that does not mean that you will grow from it.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 05-13-2006 at 08:38 PM.

i wasnt trying to imply that it was a good workout i was just stating that my arms hurt.
    Stats

Current(May1st) (June8th) Goals(September 1st)
    Bench 245 -------255-----300(reached 225x6 june 14th)
    Squat 350 -------injured----450
    Deadlift 315 ------injured----370

height 5"11
    weight 185(stay at 185)
    40(tested 4/19/06)4.75

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

Banned
    So, do you do X-reps during the set, mixed with full rnage reps, or at the end of three sets of 8-12, when you can't do another full range rep?

Quote Originally Posted by AlecB
    My buddy showed me something similar that his enormous friend taught him. Basically its seated hammer curls to failure than immediately halving the weight and doing it again to failure. They call the routine "Lyles" after the guy who did them. His arms looked like oak logs...
    Mark Lyle, Radford Uninversity back in the day... scary big! (then again I was a hell of a lot smaller then too). I am SOOOO going to have to get back into this!!!
    Last edited by ottomanart; 05-14-2006 at 11:00 AM.
    "I lift, I sleep, I work, I eat (a lot), I run and then... I do it all over agian!"
    "Lifting is like a box of chocolates... onces you start you can't stop!"

Keep my body weight below 200lbs (for now)
    Aug 10 ('06)Bench: 115kg ______ goal by Dec 31: get back up to 115kg
    Get both my Dead and Squat above 120kg before 2008

journal

Banned
    Doing weights to failure and then picking up a lighter weight to failure sound like one of Vince Gironda's techniques. Also, can someone please explain whether I should do X-reps every other full range rep, or should I do them at the end? I need to know, I'm at the gym tomorrow.

Why do people think someone in the last 75 years invented this ****. I'm sure the greeks did drop sets. Do you guys really think this is going to be the difference between hypertrophy and stagnation. It's sad that people who have been members for some time still dont understand the basics. Oh well.

--Abraham Lincoln

30th U.S. President

...and then there was iron Andre3000's Avatar
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/xrep7.htm

I came across this the other day, and thought I would share.

Thoughts? Opinions?
    My friend actually suggested this to me about a year before this article, and this is like the staple of my biceps routine. if you do it right and use it as the last workout on arm day, i know I can barely finish the 3rd set. i lov this exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickthebassist
    Doing weights to failure and then picking up a lighter weight to failure sound like one of Vince Gironda's techniques. Also, can someone please explain whether I should do X-reps every other full range rep, or should I do them at the end? I need to know, I'm at the gym tomorrow.
    Did you read the link I put up? Its all in the E-Book.

But if you want the cliff note version, do it at the end of the last set when you hit muscle failure.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Since you guys seem to be obsessed with soreness, here's a secret to get real sore biceps all the time.

Do heavy chinups 2x a week. Weighted if you can.

Do heavy rows 2x a week. Barbell and T-bars.

Throw in 2 sets of any curl, NORMALLY, 2x a week.

Have fun . If you aren't sore, up the weight.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 05-14-2006 at 09:00 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

But, dood, how will you get teh big gunz without X-reps?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Banned
    Did you read the link I put up? Its all in the E-Book.

But if you want the cliff note version, do it at the end of the last set when you hit muscle failure.
    Yep, read the E-book, thanks for putting it up. The reason I ask was that in the video on the original link, it showed the guy doing X-reps mixed with normal reps, so I was a little confused. Also, I can't do the X-reps on the inlicne hammer curls....they tax me too much......would it be ok to do concentration curls in an X-rep style after the incline hammer curls?

Morons. The lot of you.

The only purpose most of this crap fills is to keep from being bored with your routine. I'm all for different ways of doing isolation exersises and variations of compound movements to keep it fun but saying that it will make your arms grow compared to regular hammer curls is stupid.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

I feel bad for Y and Z reps. They always get left out.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Lol this thread is funny. The title it self should be used in a stand up or something.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal