The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Some of you guys are very sarcastic and cynical.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    That's what happens when you're stubborn. 3 pages later and you still actually think you're gonna get teh hyooooooge gunz by doing x-reps.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Omg, I just did some X-reps and my arms 'sploded. My arms don't fit in my shirts anymore and my arms are so big I can't touch my face anymore, and I owe it all to X-reps! Woohoo!
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickthebassist
    Some of you guys are very sarcastic and cynical.
    Actually we did try to point out that "X-reps" or whatever you want to call them will not work better than any other type of curl. We also pointed out that there are no 'secrets" to gaining mass. It's not rocket science. Train, eat and sleep enough and you will grow. It really is that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    Actually we did try to point out that "X-reps" or whatever you want to call them will not work better than any other type of curl. We also pointed out that there are no 'secrets" to gaining mass. It's not rocket science. Train, eat and sleep enough and you will grow. It really is that simple.
    But the thing is, that nobody in this thread ever said any different than that, I think that is what nick is getting at. Its just something different.

When I found the article I found it interesting, so I posted it. I never thought it would turn into a 3 page debate about x-reps. Now all I see is

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    And now (because I am a nice guy) I will outline the REAL "secrects" to arm growth and the reasons why X-reps won't work even nearly as well.

One of the quickest way to gain mass (if not the quickest) is increasing weight. If you continue increasing the weight you lift, you will eventually start to put on significant mass. That said, which do you think will give you bigger biceps: Doing x-reps with 30 pounds or chinning with your own body weight? Doing X-reps for 40 pounds or rowing with 225 pounds? Compound movements like chins and rows allow one to use FAR more weight than movements like bicep curls, therefore allowing one to gain more mass faster.

Which do you think will give you bigger triceps: Doing x-reps for 50 lbs or close-grip benches for 125 lbs? Pretty obvious isn't it?

Even if you do NO direct arm work at all, but gain fifty pounds of muscle overall, your arms will be bigger than they were before those fifty pounds of muscle. The body grows as a whole, not just in certain parts and this is especially true for arms which are used (indirectly or directly) in every upper body movement.

As a side note my arms went from 14 to 16 inches from doing no direct arm work at all, but simply focusing on heavy compound movements like benches, rows and deadlifts.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by View 1
    But the thing is, that nobody in this thread ever said any different than that, I think that is what nick is getting at. Its just something different.

When I found the article I found it interesting, so I posted it. I never thought it would turn into a 3 page debate about x-reps. Now all I see is

Well you did ask for thoughts and opinions

People are just giving the reasons why X-reps are not that great an exercise.

Hey if you want to, go ahead and do them. But IMO you'd be better served by focusing on heavy compound movements.

Oh and understand that most people on this board see similar articles every other week or so and other people supporting them like they are some great invention. After a few years of this, it's easy to be sarcastic and cynical...but I prefer to simply point out the flaws of such thinking. I just would hate for anyone to waste their time on exercises that aren't that great. I for one wish I had a resource like this board when I was younger, simply because I literally wasted years trying out all the 'great' routines and ideas that certain bodybuilding luminaries 'supported' Not only did I not get bigger and stronger, I actually regressed in some cases. So permit me a bit of causticism if you will.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 05-15-2006 at 09:52 PM.

:withstupi Stick to the basic compound movements. You cant go wrong!

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Banned
    OK, but can't I do hammercurls? I'm no good at chin ups, I do do what I can, but I do them before hammercurls. I've had good gains with curls too. My main problem with big compound lifts, for example squats, is that I have bad knees(i think the leg press caused them).

Wannabebig Member
    hi im new and what are compound movements?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    Hey if you want to, go ahead and do them. But IMO you'd be better served by focusing on heavy compound movements.

Oh and understand that most people on this board see similar articles every other week or so and other people supporting them like they are some great invention. After a few years of this, it's easy to be sarcastic and cynical...but I prefer to simply point out the flaws of such thinking. I just would hate for anyone to waste their time on exercises that aren't that great. I for one wish I had a resource like this board when I was younger, simply because I literally wasted years trying out all the 'great' routines and ideas that certain bodybuilding luminaries 'supported' Not only did I not get bigger and stronger, I actually regressed in some cases. So permit me a bit of causticism if you will.
    When I first read the article I skimmed past the X-rep stuff. I just had never heard of doing incline hammer curls. Since I was doing reverse cable curls, I thought I would switch to incline hammer curls because I would still be working my upper forearm and also it seems this is the best exercise for your Brachialis. The exercise is why I posted it I went back afterwards and read about the x-rep stuff later.

I do alot of compound movements ( Bench, Deadlifts, T-Bar rows, Squats, Hack squats, shoulder press etc.. ) with a coupe isolation thrown in here and there. X-reps will never replace compound movements.

And yeah your right, message boards like this are great places to learn a ton of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickthebassist
    OK, but can't I do hammercurls? I'm no good at chin ups, I do do what I can, but I do them before hammercurls. I've had good gains with curls too. My main problem with big compound lifts, for example squats, is that I have bad knees(i think the leg press caused them).
    I have a problem with my right rotater cuff, that is why right now I stay away form chin/pull ups. Even when I do Lat-pull downs, I have to use the v-grip.

There are alot of exercises out there. Below is a link showing you how to preform them.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexm4601
    hi im new and what are compound movements?

Exercises that work a group or groups of muscles. Generally movements like the squat, deadlift, chin, dips, bench press...are considered compound movements, while exercises like the bicep curl, tricep kickback, leg extensions are not.