Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding 100lbs to DL in 3months realistic?

Banned

Adding 100lbs to DL in 3months realistic?

Is it realistic for a 6'0 tall, 170ish 18 year old with proper diet, no steroids, to go from a 295 to 405 max DL in 12-14 weeks? I've seen a 225 > 295 increase over the last 4 or so months, but that was with sparatic training, and a diet far from perfect. I know everyone is different but am I at the point where noobie gains are going to stop? or do things usually keep going at the rate I have been or faster at these weights?
    Last edited by toki; 05-11-2006 at 01:52 PM.

Hmm, im not gonna say no because i've seen people make big gains fast but the difference between 225-295 and 315-405 is pretty solid. Give it a shot though you wont know until you try.

Depends on a lot of things. How long you've been training is a huge one. Technique changes can often show big increases (you should be pulling sumo style based on your height/weight) and how much you're eating as well as your training style all come into play. That said, 100 lbs in 3 months is a lot. I would almost say it's easier to do that with a squat (I moved mine up 100lbs in about 6 months last year) than a DL because of improved technique.

Just keep lifting and it should come. I've increased my DL 65 lbs since last June. It's not an easy thing to bring up.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I'm with Kevin on this one. I made a similar, almost 100-lb gain in my DL when I started training it, but I like to think of that time as 'learning what I can actually deadlift', rather than actually getting stronger. I think you could put another hundred on your DL, but the odds are not in your favor. I also like to think that ~300 is a nice, average, 'I'm a guy, but I don't particularly train for DL' DL weight. Moving past it might take a bit more work.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Only one way to find out for sure...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

i started deadlifts about 10 weeks ago, i did around a 240lb max or maybe less then i cant remember exactly, on tuesday i did a 400lb max. My training partner who started deadlifts the same time as me is on a 286 1rm
    23 yo 6 2", 258lbs

Feb' 06......................................Mar' 06......july 06
    bench 270lb x 1..........................275x3........315x4
    deadlift 260lb x 1........................275x1........418x1
    db shoulder press 88x3................94x3..........100x7
    atf squat - ...............................................308x5

Banned
    well...guess I'll dig this up in about 3 months and tell you all where i'm at

My Dead had gone up 120lbs in 2 or 3 months, now switching to sumo and seeing slow gains again.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    If you're new to Deads, it can happen. Otherwise, it's a bit harder.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    If you're new to Deads, it can happen. Otherwise, it's a bit harder.
    True dat, I'm new to deads and added like 20 pounds last week.

I still only do a 5x5 with 45 on each side though, haha.

I went from 400 to 500 in three months. It took me 3 years to go from 500 to 600.

I added ~100 lbs to my deadlift in about two or three months.. but I was a newbie to weights and coming from 800 calories a day to 3,000.

So I was a special case.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

Anyone can DL 405 with good training and technique in a pretty short amount of time. Getting to 500 is at least an order of magnitude tougher, and some people will NEVER DL 600 no matter what they do short of gaining a lot of weight.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Don't injure yourself trying to reach this goal. I know that I have had to stop making goals for myself (short of "focus intensely on lifting weights") because to stay on track I cause myself to overtrain, mess up on form, etc. It makes it very counterproductive to your goal.

I'm with Guido though, I think 405 lbs isn't really all that heavy and with good form and good training most people can hit it without an incredible amount of work.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 05-12-2006 at 10:18 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I think it mainly depends on your trianing, If you were trainign soley for deadlifts, no bench, nothing besides deads, I think itd be easy to add that much, but if your training everything else it would be a little tougher, but still doable IMO.

Dunno...

In HS I pulled 450+ useing a hex bar. I had never pulled with a straight bar until after highschool and was substantially weaker using it. I first started seriously deadlifting about January of this year and since then I may have deadlifted 20ish times. I went from 315x1 to an easy 405x1. I dont know, but the next time I max out Ill try 505x1 and I think ill fail but only because of my grip. I NEED to improve my grip big time, my back handeled 405 like it was pie but without straps I wouldnt have moved it an inch.

I started deads about 2 months ago at 315 max now im at 375. Noobs gains though
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

I would say it is possible. I only started Dl'ing serisously, or even doing work for it seriously, about 4 months ago, I maxed out at that time at 405 at a BW of 225. I had been lifting for about 10 years prior to that though. I am now maxing at around 500 or slightly over at the same body weight. I deadlift, or DL type excersises such as SLDL and GM's or rack pulls once a week on fridays. [I have a job that is lifting intensive and frying my back early in the week would not be a good thing.]

Moral of the story; it is possible, with the right training and a solid diet.
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace

Quote Originally Posted by toki
    Is it realistic for a 6'0 tall, 170ish 18 year old with proper diet, no steroids, to go from a 295 to 405 max DL in 12-14 weeks? I've seen a 225 > 295 increase over the last 4 or so months, but that was with sparatic training, and a diet far from perfect. I know everyone is different but am I at the point where noobie gains are going to stop? or do things usually keep going at the rate I have been or faster at these weights?
    yes for some people, no for most people

technique plays a big role with deadlift, people can get 20-30lbs in 1 day due to better technique

I did 295 --> 405 fairly quickly. 405 ---> 425 was another story. It all depends.
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

Banned
    You are at the age where your body is filled with testosterone...so yes it is possible. I would recommend hiring a powerlifting coach. The only negative thing about all this is that it is not wise to try to accelerate your strength gains too fast when it comes to the deadlift, simply due to safety reasons. I always told myself ''I'll do this lift, but I will always treat it with a lot of respect'' simply because you can blow yor back out. I knew a guy who f**ked up his back because he became too obsessed with deadlifting. He was getting unusually strong, but he wasn't always using proper form. I told him ''be careful dude, you might end up hurting yourself'' few months after that, he ruined his powerlifting/bodybuilder career. Just take it easy, work out hard and heavy, have someone couch you, eat plenty, sleep plenty (10 hrs a day) and you might achieve your goal...and if you don't do it in 3 months, don't worry, you might do it in 5 months, it will come. Some people never get to deadlift 405lbs...think about that!

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Quote Originally Posted by drew
    Depends on a lot of things. How long you've been training is a huge one. Technique changes can often show big increases (you should be pulling sumo style based on your height/weight) and how much you're eating as well as your training style all come into play. That said, 100 lbs in 3 months is a lot. I would almost say it's easier to do that with a squat (I moved mine up 100lbs in about 6 months last year) than a DL because of improved technique.

Just keep lifting and it should come. I've increased my DL 65 lbs since last June. It's not an easy thing to bring up.
    Drew, why do you say he should be pulling sumo at his height? I am 6' 250 lbs and I ONLY pull conventional. I've pulled a 600 conventional. Is there a great benefit to pulling sumo? Shorter ROM I guess?
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Quote Originally Posted by SaVvY
    yes for some people, no for most people

technique plays a big role with deadlift, people can get 20-30lbs in 1 day due to better technique
    This is true. The first time I DL'ed 405 was with some PL team guys helping me with my technique. When I finally got it, it was a 40lb PR for me. I only wish there was some other technique flaw I could improve upon to push me over that 500lb barrier!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

i personally think some of it is properly warming up and getting physced, for example i did 355 one week slow as hell, then the next week i had my friend slap me a few times and i smoked 365, and 2 weeks ago i got my PR of 405 on SLDL's, just from warming up very light and getting pumped.

just keep training hard and get pumped up.
    2000 or bust

Banned
    yeah I tried pulling sumo the other day....I just don't have the leg strength to make that happen.