Thread: What does rotator cuff tear feel like?

Hybrid View

What does rotator cuff tear feel like?

I recently did something bad to my right shoulder while benching. I didnt hear/feel anything, just had a strange discomfort after i finished a set of 225x6. Then my dumb ass did 265x2 even though i had the odd feeling in my shoulder.
    Then that night it started to hurt quite badly, I then iced it for the last two days. Now its exactly 3 days after, and it hurts the most when i flex my traps, or when i let my arms just hang down like an ape.
    Also moving my neck away from the shoulder while having the arms hang down brings on more pain.
    What im really trying to say is, if you had an RC tear what did it feel like when it happened and afterwards?

When I tore my labrum, it wasn't a sharp pain. Basically take a gnarly shoulder workout and how sore you are afterward and my shoulder was constantly like that for a good week or so. After that, when my shoulder got into certain positions, there was a painful/uncomfortable feeling like my shoulder was going to pop out.

But that's just my experience.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

I'm not sure you have a rotator cuff tear. I have a problem with my rotator cuff that forces me into the chiropractor 2 times a week for ultrasound and trigger point therapy along with new exercises to strengthen it. It is my right shoulder and I can def feel a weakness if I am doing a bench press at high weights because my right side can't support as much of the weight as my left. If I were you, i would go see my doctor ASAP to see what is wrong with your shoulder.

Good Luck
    "To achieve success, whatever the job we have, we must pay a price."

- Vince Lombardi

> c b r o n s <

I had to have surgery for this when I pitched in college.

Some common signs:

Pain "behind" your deltoid (hard to describe), especially when you have your arm raised or extended outward.

Pain in the same area, upon inward or outward rotation of your arm.

Then again, I've talked to people who have had completely different experiences so don't use this board in lieu of a doctor.

The good news is, rotator cuff surgeries can be scoped now, which doesn't leave much of a scar. I barely have one on my shoulder, whereas the elbow surgery I had in high school left a 6" half-moon scar on my elbow.
    Last edited by shootermcgavin7; 05-12-2006 at 07:09 AM.

I strained my rotator cuff quite badly about 3 months ago. I basically couldn't move my arm at all for 2 days. It wasn't just because any movement hurt like hell, my arm simply would not move. It took about 6 weeks to heal. It still hurts sometimes. The pain was very similar to what shooter described.
    Last edited by Stackattack; 05-12-2006 at 01:51 PM.

From your descriptions, it doesnt seem that I tore the rotator cuff. The pain never was severe, and I never had problems moving my arms or lost strength. Im also healing quite well, the pain is no longer very noticable except when flexing the traps or handling heavy objects.

Now, what can I do to strengthen the shoulders for bench press? Currently I just do flat bench presses, and for shoulders I do overhead raises while sitting at about a 100 degree angle on a bench with the adjustable back.

If you have a rotator cuff injury it's generally very painfull to lift your arm above your head.

I have had painfull shoulders for a long time. I find that front raises with dumbells are a really good exercise for me. Of course o'head press is good but personally they kill me.
    Last edited by HeavyBomber; 05-12-2006 at 05:43 PM.