The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: deadlift form

deadlift form

am i supposed to pick the bar off the ground and then place it back on the ground.....and repeat? on the videos i watch on the internet and i saw a couple of guys doing it at the gym, i started to wonder if i was doing it wrong

what i do is take it off the rack about knee level, and i go down past my knees and pretty much scrape the crap out of my shins, and come back up....it never touches the ground.....thanks for the advice

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Yes, the bar should hit the floor each time. Scratches on the shins is a side effect of good deads.

This is a good article:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459744

Quote Originally Posted by motoko013
    what i do is take it off the rack about knee level, and i go down past my knees and pretty much scrape the crap out of my shins, and come back up....it never touches the ground.....thanks for the advice
    That's more like an RDL. Mainly a hamstring exercise. Do the full ROM for lower back.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Guns of the future
    Quote Originally Posted by drew
    Do the full ROM for lower back.

As in letting the bar touch the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by clockwork24
    As in letting the bar touch the ground?
    As well as attaining the leverage to lift the bar from the ground as in bending your knees.

Guns of the future
    Cool.. can someone quickly explain the difference in form between the stiff legged deadlift and normal deadlift? When doing stiff legged ones, the legs are only slightly bent?

Quote Originally Posted by clockwork24
    Cool.. can someone quickly explain the difference in form between the stiff legged deadlift and normal deadlift? When doing stiff legged ones, the legs are only slightly bent?
    I think the .gifs explain in pretty well. Your legs are bending and straightening with DLs. With SLDLs, your knees stay in a stationary position and only your hip rotates.

hm I don't seem to let the barbell scratch my shins? I'm about 6 feet tall maybe 6' 1" with long arms could it be I'm using my lower back too much anyideas?

arya, what do you weigh?

It's NOT necessary that the bar scrape up your shins. Different people will pull differently. I'm short and a little bigger, so I start with the bar a couple inches ahead of my shins. I do this so I can get my shoulders behind the bar and pull back. If I pulled lik emost people say to, with the bar against my shins, I wouldn't be able to pull nearly as much as I do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Progress
    Yes, the bar should hit the floor each time. Scratches on the shins is a side effect of good deads.

This is a good article:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459744

Thanks for posting that! That will help a lot.
    18 Years of Age

5'7'' 140 lbs---Now 148

As of Feb. 2006------As of April 2006------As of July 2006

Bench- 155 x 2------170 x 1--------------Not Tested
    Squat- 200 x 1 (parallel)------Untested-------205 x 1 (Ass to Grass)
    Dead- Untested------235 x 2-----------250lbs x1 (3 sets of this)

arya, what do you weigh?

It's NOT necessary that the bar scrape up your shins. Different people will pull differently. I'm short and a little bigger, so I start with the bar a couple inches ahead of my shins. I do this so I can get my shoulders behind the bar and pull back. If I pulled lik emost people say to, with the bar against my shins, I wouldn't be able to pull nearly as much as I do now.
    You're right. I'd say bar positioning relative to shins varies depending on arm and leg length. Would you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Progress
    You're right. I'd say bar positioning relative to shins varies depending on arm and leg length. Would you say?
    Yes, but also on girth. Someone with a bigger waist is going to need to stand a little more behind the bar than someone who is very skinny.

arya, what do you weigh?

I'm about 175 as of today I could do a 5x5 with 45 on each side.

thanks for the help guys....i probably won't be able to do as much now....but at least i'll be doing it right

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMetalMan
    Thanks for posting that! That will help a lot.
    I don't like the way the guy in that pic pulls. He squats down behind the bar first. I tried it that way one time and my leverage was terrible compared to when I keep over the bar. In fact, I even tried doing it that way on a heavy set and nearly lost my balance.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    I don't like the way the guy in that pic pulls. He squats down behind the bar first. I tried it that way one time and my leverage was terrible compared to when I keep over the bar. In fact, I even tried doing it that way on a heavy set and nearly lost my balance.

Ah. Sorry I meant the article.
    18 Years of Age

5'7'' 140 lbs---Now 148

As of Feb. 2006------As of April 2006------As of July 2006

Bench- 155 x 2------170 x 1--------------Not Tested
    Squat- 200 x 1 (parallel)------Untested-------205 x 1 (Ass to Grass)
    Dead- Untested------235 x 2-----------250lbs x1 (3 sets of this)

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    LOL, then the weights not heavy enough. Seriously though, if you pull right, it should feel almost like you are going to fall backwards and are going to lose your balance. If you pull right though, the weight on the bar keeps you from falling backwards.

I don't like the pic either. Its a like doing a hack squat with the weight in front but that's about it. Form is decent but only for lighter weight.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

The primary reason for my posting of the .gif was to show that the bar does in fact touch the floor.
    Last edited by Progress; 05-15-2006 at 09:11 AM.

I stand back up after every rep, I'd have to re-adjust my positioning and grip.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Guns of the future
    lol.. you don't let go of the bar.

I finally tried lifting an amount that was challenging for me. I was doing regular deadlifts and I don't feel it in my legs much so thats good. And I didn't blow my back out either so thats good too.