Thread: So I passed out, then woked up under a barbell

So I passed out, then woked up under a barbell

This would of been a very embarassing experience if I was at the gym. Although, it would be real cool if I had at least 2 plates on the bar.

Holy ***T!!!!!!!!!!! One of the craziest lifting experience just happened to me about an hour ago. I was doing front squats, on my last set. I power cleaned into position, I get the common head rush... but then this time all of the sudden I felt like I was dreaming... then woke up, and I was under the barbell !!!!!!!!!

I have no idea how I collapsed. But I assumed I fell backwards, then my spine grinded against the wall as I fell down, then the barbell fell on my chest. My left elbow hurts (It musta got crushed... but it ain't that bad, but still in pain) my sternum hurts, and my spine... look at the pic attached.

I now fear power cleans -- into --> front squats. It musta been because I didn't inhale any air and kept exhaling.. lol. But I ALWAYS get a head rush while "resting" in the power clean position.. but then usually goes away. Not this time though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

you better be very careful, it could have been worse!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Lol, damnit it hurts everytime I breath.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

I had a similar experience after doing overhead presses about a year ago. I strained like crazy at the sticking point on a max overhead press. When I set the barbell down I turned around and then proceeded to fall to the floor. I pretty much instantly turned myself over and then went into a mild bodily convulsion for a few seconds.

It was SCARY!

Anyway, be careful and do not push yourself to that extent when performing movements which might make you feel that way.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hmmm, well, the thing was I wasn't straining at all (I think this would be more dangerous), I was in the rest position. I didn't drop the barbell at all, I was just standing there with the barbell across my shoulders (or clavicle?). Then all of the sudden, I woked up under the barbell. It was kinda like I just woked up from a dream.

Crazy stuff. Weird to....I was NOT straining! WTF ? bah.. I'm repeating myself.. lol
    Last edited by SkinnySadMan; 05-13-2006 at 09:11 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    One way to avoid this is have safety pins set in the rack. So should you fall down, the bar doesn't come with you.

How was your breathing?

How much weight was it? Your lucky it didn't land on anyhting crushable (your heard)!!!! Do you pass out often? What's your blood sugar like?

Glad you're ok!!! BE SAFE!!!!
    "I lift, I sleep, I work, I eat (a lot), I run and then... I do it all over agian!"
    "Lifting is like a box of chocolates... onces you start you can't stop!"

Keep my body weight below 200lbs (for now)
    Aug 10 ('06)Bench: 115kg ______ goal by Dec 31: get back up to 115kg
    Get both my Dead and Squat above 120kg before 2008

journal

Like I said... it would of been embarassing if I was at the gym ... Unless i had 2 plates on (225 lbs.) ..... 125 lbs. of Heavinezzzzz!!!! LoL... I've never passed out while working out, although I passed out before at work when I received a (lol) tiny cut on my finger.

Yeah I think I didn't inhale in time. No oxygen in brain = faint ?
    Last edited by SkinnySadMan; 05-13-2006 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    No oxygen in brain = faint ?
    I'd say so.... Be careful man. At least is anyone around when you workout? I did workout at my basement for some time in the past and was scared as hell when i got pinned under the barbell in a few occassions...
    Training Journal
    3/27/06 - 150lb, 17.8% BF
    8/23/06 - 153lb, N/A BF

Lifts and PRs
    Dead 215x4 (4/24/06), 255x1 (5/22/06), 295x1 (8/23/06), 315x1 (11/24/06)
    Squat 185x4 (4/19/06), 235x3 (5/31/06), 275x1 (8/21/06), 315x1 (10/25/06)
    Bench 135x5 (4/24/06), 160x3 (5/22/06), 145x3 (8/23/06)

"Deadlift is like my girlfriend. She pisses me off at times, but i still love her." - DNL

BSG Season 3 - 10/6/06

I workout in my room.... I called Mommy when it happened lol. Well... not sure if the barbell made a loud noise or not, but anyways I'd suspect someone to run into my room if they'd hear a barbell smashing on the floor (I rarely smash the barbell).

I'd rather re-experience a bench press failure without a spot than passing out.

i get head rushes sometimes from standing up too fast or after a really heavy set of deads or squats. One time, I woke up and went to the bathroom at about 8:00 am and fainted in the bathroom. My brother was walking up the stairs and heard me fall.... he walks up and sees me lying there ass naked, sprawled out on the floor and he's like WTF?
    "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight!" - Ronnie Coleman

"You've got to love what you're doing. If you love it, you can overcome any handicap or the soreness or all the aches and pains, and continue to play for a long, long time." -Gordie Howe

yeah you passed out from lack of oxygen to the brain. I used to do this purposely with my friends when I was like 12-13 yrs old, you can do it by breathing heavily, then putting pressure on the neck while holding a breath in.

Its a crazy little experience, feels like you are falling asleep, and then you have hallucinations and wake up very quickly hehe, poor mans LSD.

and dont try to do this by the way, i didnt know how dumb it was at that young age but it could possibly cause brain damage.

Hehe... yeah, it felt like I woke up from a dream. I wonder how much brain cells I killed. I'm guessing 145824.

Guns of the future
    I'm not doing cleans. I don't want to kill myself. I'm only 135 pounds.

Hehe... yeah, it felt like I woke up from a dream. I wonder how much brain cells I killed. I'm guessing 145824.
    Nice story. I think it was more like 185921, though.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

You are VERY lucky. Be careful man!
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

well just thank God you didnt kill yourself
    "To achieve success, whatever the job we have, we must pay a price."

- Vince Lombardi

> c b r o n s <

This would of been a very embarassing experience if I was at the gym. Although, it would be real cool if I had at least 2 plates on the bar.

Holy ***T!!!!!!!!!!! One of the craziest lifting experience just happened to me about an hour ago. I was doing front squats, on my last set. I power cleaned into position, I get the common head rush... but then this time all of the sudden I felt like I was dreaming... then woke up, and I was under the barbell !!!!!!!!!

I have no idea how I collapsed. But I assumed I fell backwards, then my spine grinded against the wall as I fell down, then the barbell fell on my chest. My left elbow hurts (It musta got crushed... but it ain't that bad, but still in pain) my sternum hurts, and my spine... look at the pic attached.

I now fear power cleans -- into --> front squats. It musta been because I didn't inhale any air and kept exhaling.. lol. But I ALWAYS get a head rush while "resting" in the power clean position.. but then usually goes away. Not this time though.
    ive fell down with 530 odd pounds on my shoulders - to be hardcore you have to train hardcore, life aint always rainbows and butterflys

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    There's nothing funny about this dude. 125lbs on the neck will kill someone. Don't **** around with weights.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Wow, intense..

Be safe bro!
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3