The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

~ QEA'S BULK-UP ON NHE ~ a self experiment for extremely lean individuals

Alright, after doing some research on the NHE principles, and correspondence with several people who are on the NHE plan, I've decided to take on a self-experiment on its effectiveness when it comes to mass gaining.

This journal is meant for those who in the same situation as I am to observe its effect and come to their own conclusion. Any comments are welcome.

Some special considerations:

1. I'm extremely lean with a high metabolism, who has always been ripped but never big. My abs are perpetually showing no matter how much i eat.

2. I've been doing a traditional bulking diet with not much apparent success.

3. I've been training for more than 4 years, on & off.

3. I smoke alot, which upon the start of this experiment, I plan to cut down drastically to the point of quitting.

Here goes!
    Don't eat the yellow snow

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yeah bro drop the smoking first of all... second of all good luck.

Thanks MonStar for your words of encouragement. Your positive feedback and experience on the NHE is a source of inspiration for me.

I'll be posting my first journal entry tnite. check it out

...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

DAY/DATE: 22 Jan 2002 ,Tuesday (Day 1 of metabolic shift)

DIET:

Meal 1 - preworkout pro shake - 2 scps pro powder,1 tb flax, cream
    Meal 2 - postworkout pro shake - 2 scps pro powder, 1 tb flax, cream
    Meal 3 - roast beef, boiled eggs, lettuce. olive oil, blue cheese dressing and mayo
    Meal 4 - roast chicken, boiled eggs, lettuce. olive oil, blue cheese dressing and mayo
    Meal 5 - roast chicken, boiled eggs, lettuce. olive oil, blue cheese dressing and mayo
    Late snack -

WORKOUT

Bodypart: Chest

DB Prs 3 x 10,6,6 reps
    Incline Prs 2 x 6,6
    Machine Prs 2 x 8,6

CIGARETTES SMOKED: 5

COMMENTS

Diet is not as hard as I thought it would be. Could be because I'm not really much into carbos to begin with. I am not experiencing any carb cravings yet, energy levels up abit (could be a
    mental thing). Eating all these high fat protein foods is really nice. I'm not experiencing any stomach digestion discomfort i usually get when i combine carbs and pro. Nice. Dont feel fat neither.

* note. on the 7-day metabolic shift phase, to get less than 20g active carbs is really tricky.
    Some foods i thought were high pro and/or fat turned out to contain, surprisingly a fair amt of carbs too
    they are: pumpkin seeds, processed meats, and nuts. Must avoid them for abit. Shucks. I love nuts.

** note. having a book of food counts is pretty much essential, imho.

Wannabebig Member
    All the power to ya as far as quitting smoking is concerned. Try hard man it's not going to be easy.

Smoking is good.

Qea-
    First day looks good bro. Keep calories and fat UP!! Take in a sh*tload of calories from all kinds of fats. Maybe hamburgers and mayo and cheese etc. Load it up. You need the calories.

scuse me for being new and thick but the title says BULK UP and you have very few carbs in your diet, if you are so lean just overshoot on the carbs for now and it wont do any harm, or have I missed the point again

cheers

yeah looking again I have missed the point, please explain

Prof, taking in carbs creates a hormonal response that's against the principles of the NHE plan. You have to prime your body's metabolism into a fat burning mode, as oppsed to sugar burning. I can't go into further detail, you've gotta read the book.

Now that I'm limiting carbs, I'm taking in more protein and fat that I have ever done before. My guess is that these make up the calories I lose by not eating carbs. Besides, Rob advises against counting calories, I'm just eating alot

Anyways, i'll put in today's journal entry later in the evening, check it out.

DAY/DATE: Tues 23 Jan 2002 (Day 2 of metabolic shift)

DIET:

Meal 1 - protein shake
    Meal 2 - turkey, boiled eggs, lettuce, dressing, mayo, olive oil
    Meal 3 - protein shake (post workout)
    Meal 4 - salmon steak, boiled eggs, lettuce, dressing, mayo, olive oil
    Meal 5 - chicken, boiled eggs, lettuce, dressing, mayo, olive oil
    Late snack -

* protein shake = 2 scps protein powder, 1tb flax, cream

WORKOUT

Bodypart: Back

Lats Pulldown 3 x 8,6,6
    Bentover rows 2 x 6,6
    DB Row 2, 6,6

CIGARETTES SMOKED: 7 (damn)

COMMENTS

starting to appreciate my schools cafeteria, i usually order a meat entree, and get the rest of the stuff from the salad bar.

Second day on diet, energy levels still up, mood seems to be good too. I like it. Not much carb cravings though my gazes at cookies and scones linger a little longer than they should haha

Issues faced are dehydration, it's happening more now. Rob mentioned it in the book, and i can see why.

I still cant get the thoughts of doubt in my head to go away. Nutrition mentality drilled into my head by years of traditional thought keeps pounding " You need carbs to bulk, you need carbs to bulk" consistently in my head. But I'm sure I'm making up for the lost cals from my fat and pro intake.

Then again, this is an experiment, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Noneotherless, any words of encouragement would be welcome now too.
    Last edited by Qea; 01-23-2002 at 10:27 PM.

That is what short ass workout...no deads?

Efficiency is the keyword. You wanna overload the muscles, not exhaust it. At least this is what i read in the Max-OT site. Makes sense too. Too many sets I'll feel like I'm doing the movements simply for the sake of it. I keep it short and every set is intense and feels like I'm peaking.

As for the deads, yeah, I wanna incorporate em in, but I'm trying to figure out the best form for doing it without hurting my back