The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Training

The ass too. Make sure to contract your ass at the top when you do them.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Kev, if they don't set a new VT meet in August, you want to try for Hanover? I could try and get a half day from work and it's about a 5 hour drive (if there's no facking accidents again) so we could probably get there for early weigh-in. Plus I know a motel in gettysburg for like $35 a night.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    Hey he brought it up. Its probably all in my head but meh, maybe one day I'll start deadlifting for a while with left under right under, see how it goes.
    No biggie dude, I'm completely right hand dominant, lol...I've never liked using the mixed grips but some swear by'em.

Stump - Yah it can get your lowback alright but its mainly a hipstrength exercise. Use cables or bands whatever you can get your hands on, its really helped my hip strength/sumo deads/wide stance squat.

Drew - **** yah i'll go to Hanover, i didnt go last time so this time is a must. When is it? I'm in.

Coke - Haha word, if I could double overhand 445 I would but it aint happenin
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 05-19-2006 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    Plus I know a motel in gettysburg for like $35 a night.
    Oh my. I don't wanna know about any hotel that costs only $35 a night.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

My boys came back from Berlington today which makes me very happy. I went to see The New Riders of Purple Sage tonight with my dad and got quite drunk in the process. Then I went to see the guys, am very happy. They brought back with them shrooms, so i say to my self. Kevin...? should I go to Newtown tomorrow and prepair for training...? or stay another night and do shrooms with the boys? Me thinks i'll stay another night/

Shroomin it up. Nice.

8/19 is the Hanover meet.

Guido, its not a bad place, and the dude that works there is a total redneck. Last time I was there he had a Rebel Yell hat on. I tried to buy it from him.

Gah, what a ****ed up night... 8/19? Sounds good man, im definitelly in if your going. I'll bring my showtunes collection for the car ride.

i love pullthroughs. so you are starting your new routine monday then?
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

**** that routine, i've created another that i'm liking the looks of, hopefully it'll work and wont bother my back. My back is the only issue which is why i've been squatting and deading on the same day but i've created this new routine which is basically a 2 week rotation switching between the two weeks. Heres the setup...

Week 1-
    Monday: Heavy Bench
    Tuesday: 5x5 Squats
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Volume Bench
    Friday: Heavy Deads
    Saturday: Grip Work
    Sunday: Rest

Week 2-
    Monday: Heavy Bench
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: Heavy Squats
    Thursday: Volume Bench
    Friday: Grip Work
    Saturday: Active Recovery (Upper/Lower)

Thats the 2 week split i'm going to follow starting tomorrow (Monday). I'll explain my concept for this routine. For starters my back cant handle deadlifting heavy each week, i've tweaked it and thrown it out way too many times. Im lucky I can still deadlift or squat at all and i've grown to the love those lifts so I wanna make sure I can still do em. Anyway heres the breakdown...

Week 1...

Monday: I'll do heavy shirted bench work, working up to a heavy double or single. After the heavy shirt work i'll take the shirt off and do board presses using either the 2-board or 3-board working up to a heavy triple or double. What I do after that will switch up from week to week but it'll definitelly be 1-2 more tricep exercises, this day's pretty much devoted to killing my triceps. Also each week or every other week i'll swap board presses for rack lockouts.

Tuesday: Tuesday of week 1 will be a 5x5 squat day. Nothing crazy, i'll add weight as I go along but it'll all be done raw. I'll also do high box squats after along with possible squat lockouts and/or partials, all in all not too crazy a day, saving some energy for heavy deads this week.

Wednesday: Rest, possible plyometrics and/or sprints.

Thursday: Volume Bench Day! I'm pretty excited for this since speed bench was kind of boring me. This day will involve comp grip and close grip benching hittin upwards of 10 rep sets. I also plan to do dumbell presses or weighted dips along with weighted pullups during this day each week. I'll figure out the exercise set up as I go along, I dont do routines with a set number of sets x reps planning the days out is as routine as i'll get. The weight on this day wont be anything crazy, speed and explosion will be a factor but I also wanna hit my chest which doesnt get too blasted on Monday.

Friday: Heavy Deadlift Dayyyy. I'm pretty pumped about this day since i've FINALLY found my niche with deadlifting. This day will occur once every 2 weeks obviously and the heavy work will be done in a suit after my warmups working up to a heavy double or single. Speed deads will follow as well as pull throughs, etc...

Saturday: Grip Work day will involve using my grippers, hammer levering, phonebook/card tearing and other grip training exercises.

Week 2...

Monday: Same thing as the other week with the shirt work and such except I might switch out the board presses for heavy lockouts and/or modeatelly heavy barbell floor presses.

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: This is really where this week differs from the other week. This day involves the heavy squats, using a squat suit, wraps, belt, etc... I'll be working up to a heavy single, double, or triple on this day and will follow it with Goodmornings and speed pulls. This day will give me a chance to squat heavy in my suit and take some time off heavy deadlifting.

Thursday: Same thing as the other week.

Friday: Grip Work, same as last week.

Saturday: This day will revolve around active recovery and sometimes take place the day before (Friday) depending on how im feeling. I'll work on light, low box squats, light benching, etc... just to get some blood flowing.

Sunday: Rest... then repeat week 1, followed by week 2, followed by week 1... etc... etc... etc... I really like this split and its kind of nice to have SOME structure to my workouts. I'll never be able to do the whole, "ok im gonna do this many sets of this many reps with this weight..." the only thing I can do that with is 5x5 and im only using that setup for 5x5 squat day.

This setup will give my lowerbody (especially my back) enough time to rest between usage and get me used to using the gear since I have a meet in PA comming up in August with drew.. gotta get used to this gear as much as possible so I can use to as much of an advantage as I can on Hanover. I've moved all my crap to the house in Newtown and am ready to start the summer training tomorrow, so after pages and pages of no workouts there'll be plenty to come starting tomorrow! Pretty pumped about this setup and real excited to try my shirt out tomorrow, hopefully I can get the bitch on correctly...

Looks like a solid plan bro. I'm going to have to make a trip out to bench with you sometime.

Dude PLEASE do, its a real straight gym and my womans brother is a complete metrosexual and not interesting in anything involved with powerlifting, guy lifts every day of the week... anyways I'd trust your spotting on the real heavy sets and your help gettin the shirt on would be very much appreciated. My cellphone is almost dead and I havnt bought a new charger yet, i'll PM you some new numbers.

What time do you lift on Mondays? If you can do it at 6, I can bench with you every week. I'll just come straight from work.

Hell yah i plan on going between 6-7 almost every day, I can go at literally anytime tomorrow

I'm going to shoot for next week. Don't know if I will be able to lift at all tomorrow (plus I just maxed on friday). But I'll switch my ME and DE days and make it up there next Monday.

**** yah man sounds awesome.

Im pumped to star the new routine posted above, just monged a huge breakfast and am waiting for 5-6pm to roll around so I can hit the gym. If everything goes well and I can get the shirt on correctly i'll be real happy. I've talked to some real experienced guys and they told me to not go too crazy with the shirt yet and definitelly dont pull the weight to my chest, just stop where the shirt stops it and press. The weight will get closer and closer to touching as I add weight each week so I just have to be patient is all I suppose. If seperating my squats and deads during the week proves to not work afterall i'll just have to alter it once again but im really hoping it'll be all good, i like this routine.

the plan looks sweet bro. Do you have another meet before the one in August?
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

No I think im just gonna train my nuts off for the Hanover, PA meet in August, hopefully hit some good numbers. I've been looking around other boards and 165's in my agegroup just dont seem to be benching much. They all have really good squats usually 550+ (which is damn good to me) but their benches are pretty lacking, I seem to be the odd man out with a not so great squat and a pretty decent bench. Im curious as to what my deadlift will be in a suit though...

Banned
    g/l with the new routine

nice effort the other day on page 2.. somehow i missed it the other day when i checked.

Thanks man, just a few bodyweight things had to do somethinnnn.

Banned
    yeah thts what i did on sat.. my back is still messing with me though i feel a lot better

deads and bo rows just rock me in a bad way whereas squats feel fine.. weird
    Last edited by f=ma; 05-22-2006 at 09:55 AM.

Yah same man, I dont even do bo rows anymore my back just wont let me. Hopefully this routine wont bother my back since i've had alot of issues with it.

Ooooooooooh **** my 10lb bag of whey and tub of cellmass just arrived! Once my suit gets here i'll officially have everything I need to kick ass this summer... **** yes.

the routine looks very solid, any lat work?
    2000 or bust