Thread: Simplest routine ever, what do you think?

Simplest routine ever, what do you think?

I'm 5'9 and 155 lbs, with a really small frame (6" wrists; when I started out, I used to weigh 130 lbs and still wasn't perceived as skinny).

I don't have any particular goal, I just want to get bigger (165-170 lbs would be good) and stronger. That's why, I wrote this extremely basic and simple routine:

Monday - Deadlifts
    Tuesday - Bench Press
    Wednesday - Barbell Rows
    Thursday - Squats
    Friday - Military Presses

I won't do any direct arms' training, since my arms are already out of proportion (14", with a 38-39" chest).

I was thinking about doing 3 sets of 6 reps for each exercise, how does it seem? Should I just do 2 sets, or maybe more than 3? 6 reps are enough, too much or what?

Thanks for any help

you need rest to grow - 5 days in a row destroys that

and personally i wouldn't use a routine like this with days to rest either - not enough exercises, you have 640 muscles in your body, and those are just the ones that have names, theres actually thousands more

yeah you need rest, but he isn't working the same bodypart back to back and like you said, the volume is pretty low...I've seen quite a few programs go 5 days on, 2 off

I say try it and see if you improve; if you don't, come back here and try WBB1 or ask for more advice
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

I've noticed that the only way to make my muscles grow and my lifts go up is to work them out often.

What about sets & reps?

personally id say do a 5x5 with them exercises. it looks ok and i think from your stats that as long as you are eating over maintanance you should get good gains for a while atleast
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

"you have 640 muscles in your body, and those are just the ones that have names, theres actually thousands more"

Ahahahahahaha! Priceless!

The routine looks good to me, the only change I would make would be switching the thursday and friday workouts to allow your posterior chain more recovery after rows. Also, since you have 7 days a week to recover before doing the same movement, you may want to employ high volume and intensity so your body NEEDS 5-7 days to recover.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    "you have 640 muscles in your body, and those are just the ones that have names, theres actually thousands more"

Ahahahahahaha! Priceless!

The routine looks good to me, the only change I would make would be switching the thursday and friday workouts to allow your posterior chain more recovery after rows. Also, since you have 7 days a week to recover before doing the same movement, you may want to employ high volume and intensity so your body NEEDS 5-7 days to recover.
    Ok, I'll switch thursday and friday workouts, your statement seems right!
    Also, what do you mean with high volume? How many sets and reps?

I like 10x3 ala Chad Waterbury, but any set/rep scheme that allows you to work with a heavy weight and get alot of reps(20-30 reps w/ 80% or more of your maximum over the workout) will do the job.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Calves?
    Hamstrings?

IMO, you need a couple more exercises