The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Hockey's Journal

Alright, I haven't been very dedicated lately. I've been swarmed with minor injuries that put me our for a few weeks and I just haven't been able to really get back into the groove if things. I've decided to ditch my old journal and just start over. Here's my stats:

I'm 15 year's old
    I weigh 171.6 lbs. (78 kgs)
    I'm am almost 5'10.
    Max bench: 190 x 1
    Max squat: 225 x 6
    Max deadlift 275 x 4
    Last time measured 14" arms, 40" chest/back

My routine is currently:
    Monday: Chest
    Tuesday: Back
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Biceps and Triceps
    Friday: Shoulders
    Saturday: Legs
    Sunday: Rest

Today's Session: Legs

Squats
    Warmup
    185 x 10
    205 x 10
    225 x 6
    225 x 6 (+4R)

Leg Press
    4pps x 10
    5pps x 10
    470 x 10
    500 x 8 (+50W)

Seated Calf Raises
    50 x 20
    70 x 15
    90 x 15
    100 x 12

Leg Extensions
    210 x 12
    225 x 10
    225 x 11
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Today was an off day, so I decided to take some measurements. Everything is unpumped seeing as I've just been lounging all day.

Chest/Back: 41"
    Bicep/Tricep: 14.5"
    Forearm: 13"
    Wrist: 7"
    Waist: 32"
    Hips/Glutes: 38"
    Quad: 23"
    Calf: 15"

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Jeez, our leg strength is very very similar. WB.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Yes very close indeed. The weird thing is, before I messed up my knee my squat PR was 225x2. Now, first day back after six weeks out I put out 6 reps going to parallel.

Today's Session: Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press
    Warmup
    135 x 6
    155 x 6
    195 x 1
    165 x 5
    170 x 3

Incline Barbell Bench Press
    125 x 8
    135 x 6
    140 x 5

Flat Dumbell Flies
    40 x 9
    40 x 8
    45 x 4

Chest Dips
    BW x 10
    BW+25 x 6
    BW+27.5 x 5
    BW+27.5 x 3

Overall good session today. I was very happy to get the 195, hoping for 205 within a month or so. The first part of the left was extremely easy, but the lockout took awhile. I think if I strengthen my triceps more I'll get the 205 in no time. Eating a huge bowl of oatmeal and drinkin' a shake right now, I know I'm gonna be sore as hell tomorrow.

Wow, our chest strength aswell is very, very similar. But you're owning me on dips, wow. Goood work!

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Today's Session: Back

Pullups
    BW x 10
    BW+10 x 5
    BW+10 x 4
    BW+10 x 4

Deadlifts
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    275 x 6 (+2R)
    295 x 2 (+20W)

Dumbell Rows
    75 x 9
    75 x 8
    80 x 4

Cable Rows
    120 x 10
    135 x 8
    135 x 6

I'm very happy with the PRs on the deadlifts. When I went to do 295 my first attempt I didn't even budge the bar from the ground, I wasn't expecting it to be that heavy. I took a 10 second rest then repped it twice, I think I could've done 3 or 4 but I didn't want to hurt myself. I was dead by the time I got to the cable rows, so I couldn't do as much weight as I have in the past. Overall a good workout.

A word of advice to people:

NEVER play hockey after deadlifts! My lower back and legs were killing me! I could barely skate, and every couple seconds I would have to stand straight up and relax my back. I played like ****, it was horrible.

I got my cardio for the day though, or the week, or whenever I play next.

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    WOWOWOW, you got some CRAZY strength for 15. I am VERY impressed! Whats your BF% at bro?
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Nito: Body fat I'm thinking around 8%, I'm not sure but thats what people have told me.

Today's Session: Biceps and Triceps

Close Grip Bench Press
    Warmup
    135 x 10
    155 x 6
    165 x 4
    175 x 2

Dumbell Overhead Extensions
    80 x 8
    80 x 7
    85 x 4

Skullcrushers
    75 x 10
    85 x 6
    85 x 6

Barbell Curl
    90 x 7
    90 x 5
    90 x 4

Concentration Curls
    40 x 8
    40 x 9
    40 x 8

Very good workout today, I have a huge pump in my arms right now I can barely straighten or bend them. I almost got 175 x 3 but my arms couldn't do the last 1/4 of the rep.

Nice arm session dude!

I can't believe the strength of you 15-year-olds. Awesome work man. How long have you been training?

I've been training since the beginning of September, so about 5 months, with some short breaks due to injury. I worked out for a month last year but really had no clue what I was doing. I owe a lot of my strength to my training partner. I was naturally way bigger/stronger than him but he started catching up, now I push myself every day to stay ahead, and he pushes himself to catch up. Sort of like a little competition between us.

Today's Session: Shoulders

Seated Military Press
    Warmup
    115 x 9
    125 x 4
    120 x 5
    120 x 4

Dumbell Shoulder Press
    50 x 10
    55 x 4
    55 x 6

Lateral Raises
    25s x 10
    30s x 6
    30s x 6

Bent Over Lateral Raises
    25s x 12
    30s x 10
    30s x 10

Good workout today besides some pain in my left shoulder. It helped take my mind off of exams and relieve some stress. We have to take provincial exam in grade 10 now and our marks go on our transcripts, so it sucks. I hate exams.

Yesterday's Session: Legs

I went to my friends house yesterday and ended up sleeping there, so I couldnt post my workout until today.

Squats
    135 x 10
    185 x 10
    205 x 10
    225 x 6
    225 x 6

Leg Press
    2pps x 10
    4pps x 10
    5pps x 10
    500 x 8
    6pps x 6

Seated Calf Raises
    90 x 15
    100 x 10
    100 x 8

Standing Calf Raises
    200 x 20
    300 x 10
    300 x 10
    300 x 9

My calves just arent growing so I decided to see if they'd respond better to two exercises. I also tried pausing for a few seconds at the positive and the negative and it killed. They were cramping up and I could barely walk, and today they kill. No PR on the squats unfortunately, next week Ill hit 8 reps.

Nice last 2 sessions. How were your exams? And in what subjects? Mine have been pretty easy so far.

I haven't taken any exams, but I have math and science this semester.

I'm getting 97.2% in math so all I have to do is pass the exam to get an A in that class, but I'm aiming to stay in the high 90's. Science I'm doing doing crappy in. Im getting somewhere inbetween 88 - 92%, I'm not sure where. Science is usually my strong point, but my teacher ****ed our class over this year.

What exams have you taken?

Holy crap... I'm getting mid 70s in math, and that's much higher than my grades average lol.

I took math and english exams, and have one for engineering this coming morning.

Today's Session: Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press
    135 x 6
    165 x 6
    170 x 5
    175 x 4
    175 x 2

Incline Barbell Bench Press
    135 x 6
    140 x 4
    145 x 3

Flat Dumbell Flies
    40 x 8
    45 x 4
    45 x 3

Chest Dips
    BW x 12
    27.5 x 6
    30 x 4

I'm not too sure what happened on the last bench set, I guess my chest was really exhausted. I thought I had it for 4 again forsure, but I couldn't get the 3rd up.

During all the presses and dips I got an amazingly horrible pain in my left wrist, causing me to have longer than normal breaks. I'm not sure what it was, but it was a piss off.

Also, since I started working out, a pointing bump has begun developing on the inside of my left wrist. Some people say it's just a calcium deposit, but it worries me. Any input would be helpful.

Nice session. Can't input on that, I have no clue what it could be.

...putting in some real good and complete workout efforts -

CC: Thanks for the comment, the bump is really starting to bug me.

CoCoa: Thanks man, maybe one day I'll be as strong as you are. Hopefully.

Today's Session: Back

Pullups
    BW x 10
    10 x 5
    10 x 4

Deadlifts
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    275 x 6
    295 x 3
    305 x 2
    315 x 1

Dumbell Rows
    75 x 9
    75 x 8
    80 x 5

Seated Cable Rows
    120 x 10
    135 x 8
    150 x 6
    150 x 5

I took a few days off from training due to hockey, didn't want to be sore for my games or anything.

The deadlifts felt good today. I don't know if I can really count the 315 because my grip started to slip 1/2 way up and I had to quickly let go of the bar resting it on my thigh and regrip. I must say it took some skill to do it without dropping the bar lol. I'll try with straps next time.

The deadlifts took a lot out of me so I didn't pull as much as I thought I would for the rest of the session, overall I was happy though. Now time to eat again!

Nice PR!!!

I was aswell using 75s and 80s on DB Rows, then I stopped and worked on perfecting my form. This means basically no shoulder movement, just the arm moving back and the shoulders rolling. It's alot, alot harder. I dropped down to 50s and 55s, but I heard from big guys that this'll widen your back like mad.