The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spinning Away - fhornheads journey

Wow! I don't know quite where to begin, so I am going to break it all down as best I can. My current Stats:

6'1"
    220 pounds
    43 years old
    36" waist

I have been a member of this board for about 3 years, but rarely make any posts. I have been an anonymous "learner" for the majority of that time. Reading daily, checking out journals and pics and aquiring inspiration for my goals. I am starting this today in hopes of creating some self imposed expectations..... just trying to keep myself in check.

Now, these are my stats before I started working out.

6'1"
    400 pounds
    39 years old
    58" waist

I'm going to blow your mind with some after pictures, but that will come in the next post. I have not really recorded any measurements of my muscles (bi's, tri's, hams, quads, etc) because that was not important to me at the beginning of my journey, but now I wish I had them. Losing over 175 pounds has changed my life without a doubt. But I will never look like one of you guys due to the loose skin factor. I hope everything will tighten up over time, but I have been in a holding pattern on weight now for over 6 months and I can not tell that things are tighter, but it is hard to judge yourself sometimes. I lost this weight without any surgery or diet aids. Only working out and diet control. I bought a Mountain Bike about 2 years ago to facilitate the exercise. First bike I have ridden since I was in college.... 17 years earlier. Now I ride constantly.

My current workout routine consists of some form of cardio daily with muscle toning exercises, but I have only been lifting once a week. Kinda hitting all general muscle groups at once. I have overcome some injuries on my journey, one of those being a rotator cuff injury that pissed me off an entire summer. Working through the pain has paid off though. It's all better, but I am still weaker than average in my opinion. I have become addicted to cardio! I do step, kickboxing and spinning for the most part and muscle toning (you know.... those little colored coded dumbells), but once a week I lift for real. I want to increase that and break up the workout. Iím not quite sure how Iím going to split my workout yet, so I am going to experiment a bit.

Time is a factor since I work M-F from 8am to 5pm. I usually go to the gym directly after work and am there an hour plus. I am also a musician and that takes a lot of time too. Many times I have been on stage in a tux stewing that I had to miss the gym to come to this gig or rehearsal. Summer time is way slower in the music business (except July 4th) so luckily I wonít have to worry about that until August 15th or so.

Another very positive for me is recently gaining my Spinning Certification, which I am happily using at my gym. I teach one class a week and sub and I only hope I can inspire others to do something positive for themselves. A big positive about working at the gym??? Employees get to use the gym for FREE!!!! Hurray! Plus I get paid to teach. I will be getting my Group training certification in July unless something snags. Yet another goal to keep things fresh and exciting.

OK, hereís my before pictures. I held my weight pretty well while standing, but sitting is a different ball park.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SUMMER ROCKS!!! I LOVE LIFE!!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hell yeah FHH, way to take control of your life. Just a recommendation - try a lifting split in addition to the cardio. Your body won't know what hit it!!
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

and now the after pics........

i just took these a few minutes ago. maybe something shirtless after summer or around christmas depending on how my recomposition progresses.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ok, i'm going to make it a habit to come here everyday after the gym to record my work.... even if I dont achieve my goal.

Today was not like I wanted it to go since I did no lifting and all cardio. I did work on abs, but I was hoping to isolate and split. maybe I'll call this my day off

Ill try again tommorrow..... tt

Well, here's what I've got today....

10 min cardio - spin bike

upper
    87.5lb Chest Press 3x15
    50lb Preacher Curls 3x15
    50lb Shoulder Press 3x15
    75lb Tri Press 3x15

lower
    160 lb Leg Press 3x15
    160 lb Calf Raises 3x15
    100 lb Leg Curl 3x15
    100 lb Leg Lifts (quads) 3x15
    1x10 Leg Raises

75 min cardio group class - turbo kick
    about 45 mins of cardio and 30 minutes of other misc exercises (ie:lunges, squats, upper body with weights, lower body with weights, and a killer ab workout) awesome flexibility and balance stuff too.

Tommorrows goals?

work 8-5
    teach spin class 5:30 - 6:30
    meeting (music crap) 7pm - 9pm

no lifting tommorrow because of time. sux! im gonna have to take my dumbells to the office so I can catch up at least on upper body. Looking to accomplish a split starting on Friday. be back tommorrow...... tt

well, everything went as expected. with the exception of the major high I got from my spin class. I kicked everyones butt as well as my own. I love it when people come in and work hard. good stuff!

tommorrow's goal?

Upper body work
    abs
    cardio (45 minutes)

see you tamale

If you have ever driven I-95 in NC or SC, you will recognize this...... Pedro's weather forcast is "Chili today" and "Hot Tamale". haha....crazy stuff.

im such a slug!

Friday - 45 minutes cardio and 15 minutes abs.

Saturday - 4 hours+ of doing yard work at my mom's house. she doesn't have a yard, she has a jungle. I'm trying to change that. I think I burned a bunch of calories today.

alas, no lifting to report.

tommorrow?

I'm going to ride my bike if the weather report is correct. hope to make it to the gym to lift.

Your progress is phenomenal...truly.

That said, I'm quite positive you can take it to that next level you want by dumping most of that cardio and hitting the weights hard, and heavy. You mentioned "toning" class in that first post..lol..I hope that was a joke, considering the amount of time you've spent around here.

It's no problem to teach a spin class and get in some regular cardio, but if you get a bodybuilding split and hit some heavy weights (i.e. free weight bench press, squats, deadlifts, rows, chinups, pullups, etc) you WILL be amazed at how your body responds. All that cardio is negatively affecting your muscle mass, unless you're eating **** tons of protein. You being someone who's been dieting for a while, I don't think that's the case. Your arms look pretty lean. I'd say you have the arms of someone with a typical 15% bodyfat, which is superb. But, you have loose skin like you said.

There's two ways to conquer that loose skin at your age (no offense!)..

1. surgery

2. fill it with muscle mass

#2 is much more fun..

You might have to do what you probably fear most, and bulk. It's the only way you'll put on that much-needed muscle. But, you'll see changes in your body that you love.

If you feel you still have more fat to lose, that's fine. Lose that fat if you like, but you'll be much better off to do it using the calorie-burning and muscle MAINTAINING benefits of lifting in the 3-12 rep range with a bodybuilding routine. Continuing with all that cardio will bring you more weight loss, but you'll start dropping muscle (if you haven't already to some degree), which will basically keep you looking exactly the same and thereby deflating your resolve to continue what is the best decision you've ever made..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

:withstupi

I'm similarly inspired - keep it up, man. It's a great new lease on life, eh?
    25 years old, 5'10''

Health goals

Tuesday - only Cardio (45 minutes)

Wednesday - lower body

200 lb Leg Press 3x10
    200 lb Calf Raises 3x10
    112.5 lb Leg Curl 3x10
    112.5 lb Leg Lifts (quads) 3x10
    2x10 Leg Raises/Abs

I'm reducing my reps from 15 to 10 and bumping the weight up.

upper body
    i just touched UB briefly to kill time

100lb Chest Press 2x10
    62.5lb Shoulder Press 3x10

cardio
    75 minutes.

mrelwooddowd- dude, thanks for the awesome comments. you said things that I needed to hear and gave me a good bit to think about. Even though I really enjoy cardio, Im sure I need to cut back. and yes, the muscle toning was a joke.... i consider that cardio.

I'm already taking your advice and increasing weight and reducing reps. I'm also considering hiring a personal trainer for about 12 sessions to get me where I need to be. I really, REALLY need a training partner, but haven't really looked for one as of yet. Maybe one will fall in my lap one day soon. (fingers crossed)

You are so right about one thing.... the thought of gaining weight scares the crap outta me. I'll get through it though. thanks man!

McIrish- dude, thank you so much for the support. If I think too hard about all that I have accomplised, it is very easy to get teary over it. It's the best feeling in the world and to know that I did it on my own (no surgery or pills) is the best part. It's the best mid-life crisis a person could hope for.... and a lot cheaper than a Stingray or Z car. This is truely going to be the best summer of my life and I can not wait.

Im getting things started this weekend. Im going to Washington DC to ride the bike trails and see DC from a different perspective. We are planning to be out all day on Saturday and Sunday. the weather is supposed to be almost perfect. I could not have done something like this 3 years ago, so I am totally siked. peace out McIrish and again, thanks for your support.

I went to DC over Memorial Day weekend. Haven't lifted any weight since Wednesday. Got a killer workout though.... rode just over 50 miles around northern virginia and DC. Trail system up there is pretty nice. Some great hills. Weather was perfect!!!

Well, now Im home and it's back to business.........

Tuesday - Cardio only..... 60 minutes

Wednesday - Lifting only (10 minute cardio warm up)

Upper Body
    Chest Press - 3x10 (100 lbs)
    Shoulder Press - 3x10 (67.5 lbs)
    Tricep Press - 3x10 (100 lbs)
    Lat Pulldown - 3x10 (100 lbs)
    Preacher Curls - 3x10 (67.5 lbs)

did some crunches/ab work too.

Thursday - Cardio only..... 60 minutes.

On another note, I hired a personnal trainer at the gym a couple days ago. Our first session is this Sunday. I only purchased 12 sessions which I plan to take 3 sessions a week for 2 weeks, then reduce to 2 per week for 2 weeks and then 2 follow up sessions to make sure I'm still on the right path. We are only going to be working with free weights, and mostly upper body which is my very weekest point. My lower body is amazingly better.... i guess the biking really paid off. Plus, I love lunges and squats, the crosstrainer, etc. I really need a workout partner, but for now, I will use my personnal trianer and hope she can introduce me to someone that would be a good fitness level match for me.

good luck me

Friday - lifting and cardio

Upper Body
    Chest Press - 3x10 (90 lbs)
    Shoulder Press - 3x10 (50 lbs)
    Tricep Press - 3x10 (60 lbs)
    Lat Pulldown - 3x10 (90 lbs)
    Preacher Curls - 3x10 (50 lbs)

last day doing machine weights. I won't post again until sunday which will be after my first personnal training session. looking forward to it.

cardio
    45 minutes
    15 minute ab workout/various crunch, olbique and leg work.

Im planning to do some cardio tommorrow am and work in the yard in the afternoon. Sunday will be weights only.... maybe a short bike ride.

till sunday.......cya

good work in here. i'm interested to see what the trainer has you doing.

trainers can be pretty hit or miss, unfortunately...

5/3/1 Journal

Likewise, I'm with mrelwooddowd on that one... I've heard some trainers say some fairly bogus things in my time in the gym (hmm, I'm no expert, but I've eaten a 500-1000 calorie shake every night for the past year, and according to the trainer's calculations, I should have put on 50-100 lbs of pure fat due to all of that energy being magically stored as fat when consumed post-8 p.m.).

At any rate, real solid workouts, horn! I love DC, myself - I'm moving there (most likely VA, actually) come next April. Gosh it's a punch in the nuts - how expensive!
    25 years old, 5'10''

Health goals

I hurt..... BAD! but it's a good hurt. I have worked harder at the gym in the past 3 days than I can remember.

The personal training session smoked my arms/upper body. My upper body is so weak..... and guess what? My left side is way weaker than the right side. It is no doubt from the rotator cuff injury from last summer, but since I had been using the machines instead of free weights, I didn't really know how bad it was. It reared it's head on the military press. left shoulder..... but I feel pretty confident I will get by this before the 6 weeks is up..... i have GOT to find a workout partner.

Saturday

Cardio only.... I know this is kinda bad, but I did 2 hours of cardio. It rained here and the yard work I had planned got cancelled, so I went to the gym and went crazy.

Sunday

Upper Body
    Here's the planned breakdown......
    Day One - Bi's, Tri's and Shoulders
    Day Two - Chest and Back
    Day Three - Lower body/legs

Today, we did the following...... 30 minute sessions.
    Biceps - Seated Incline Curls alternating...3x10 50lbs
    Triceps- Rope Pull Down.... 3x10 60lbs
    Shoulders - Upright Military Press... 3x10 40lbs

All this weight seemed way heavier than normal compared to the machine weight I had been lifting (with the exception of the Tricep), but I had to kinda compensate for the weak left side. I noticed a considerable pump compared to normal and I was pretty sore the next day... and still am.

Cardio
    45 minutes

Monday

Lower Body
    220lbs Leg Press 3x10
    220lbs Calf Raises 3x10
    100lbs Leg Curls/Hams 3x10
    100lbs Leg Lifts/Quads 3x10

Cardio
    45 minutes
    15 minutes ab/oblique work

I'm packing in as much protein as I can as I am not on a suppliment as of yet.....but planning on taking care of that this week without fail. I will never be able to eat the amount of food to get the required protein. I weigh 220 pounds, so I was planning on a 250g day of protein to start. That is way more than I get now for sure. Can't wait to see how that works for me.

mrelwooddowd
    dude, thanks for checking in.... the girl that is training me is someone that I requested. she is a group instructor there as well and has inspired me with her knowledge and energy in the group arena, so I decided to give her a try in the personal arena too. She did not disappoint me. we talked a lot about my goals, and what I needed to do to acheive them. I felt like we were on the same page..... I'll be sure to post my progress with her as I go along. Let me know what you think about the suggested split and any upcoming direction. I'm thinking the following based on the 3 day split.....

Day One - Bi's, Tri's and Shoulders
    Day Two - Chest and Back
    Day Three - Lower body/legs
    Day Four - Bi's, Tri's and Shoulders
    Day Five - Chest and Back
    Day Six - Lower body/legs
    Day Seven - REST
    <---- this will be Saturday since that is yard boy day for me.

McIrish
    she hasn't said anything strange yet, but I have overheard other trainers saying some pretty crazy stuff. Almost like they are talking and don't realize what they are saying....their minds are miles away while their mouth is running in the gym, lol.

dude, NoVa is mega rich! People are commuting way past the HOV lane zones now.... the suburbs of the suburbs of the suburbs.... and so on, haha! If you are lucky enough to live close to a metro stop, you are golden if your job is in DC. It sucks to drive up there. Cars are almost useless.

Tuesday

Upper Body

Back and Chest today with PT.
    the following were done on the crossover cables unit
    Lat Pull downs 3x10 110 lbs (wide grip)
    Pull Downs 3x10 110lbs (close grip)
    Chest Press CC 3x10 50lbs
    these were done in a seated incline bench
    Chest Press DB 3x8 40lbs (met in front like hammer)
    Chest Press DB 3x8 40lbs (upward like a bench press)

I was in a rush, so I did not right down the descriptions of these routines. I met with the trainer during lunch. That worked well for me since the sessions are 30 minutes and I get an hour for lunch. I'll get it straight.

Cardio

45 minutes - I really took it easy today and did a "recovery" cardio workout. Very low intensity.... heart rate between 50%-65% of my max. My legs are still smoked from yesterday, so big energy was not happening.

10 minutes abs/obliques...

I'm spent. I plan on doing a cardio class tommorrow, but no lifting. I need recovery time.....my muscles are aching, but it feels great. I'll probably lift again on Thursday, Friday (saturday off) and Sunday for sure.
    Last edited by fhornhead; 06-07-2006 at 07:55 AM.

Congrats on all the progress thus far. Good to see you stepping it up and hitting the weights hard.

You may want to re-organize your split a little, the main reason I say that is because you're working chest & back only 24 hours after working your bi's and tri's.

I recommend you swap days 2 and three, and drop the extra lifting on day 4 and take an extra rest day.

Keep in mind that you're working bi's and tri's on chest/back day too.

Good luck with your goals.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

ďTake things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.Ē ó Bruce Lee

Just installed a new phone system this week at my job. It's been crazy and I have been forced to stay after regular hours which has severly hindered my schedule. Needless to say, I have not lifted any weights since Tuesday.

Wednesday
    60 min cardio / 15 minutes abs/obliques. One Positive this day.... I picked up some Isopure today. tried it, it's OK. I hate the calorie intake, but it seemed like isopure had the most protein per serving. Hard to tell with all the friggin scoop sizes. anyway, im hooked up for a while.

Thursday
    had the best class I have had thus far. It was packed with people, the energy was up, and I was stoked. 60 minutes.

Friday
    Thought I was going to lift today.... since it was friday. The phone tech did not leave until late. Screwed my lifting up again. I chose cardio. 45 minutes..... I know.... I shouldv'e chose weights, but I've been chowing and I always get afraid when I eat what I want and don't do cardio.

Short term? Tommorrow, I become yard boy, so still no more weights. but sunday, I have a PT session, so I will definitely be lifting then. Hopefully I will be back on task next week.

You get a PRI at the office?

*hopes that makes any sense*

I agree with StP about the split. I don't see ANY reason to work the tri's separate from chest day. You really can't do one without the help of the other. It only makes sense to put them together. It's the same for back and biceps. I know people like to have an arms day and all, but it really is best to think "push" "pull" "push" (chest/tri's) (back/bi's) (legs/shoulders)...that'll also give you the most recovery ability, and least double-ups on muscles. Really, my delts are the only thing that seems to get doubled-up, but they're overpoweringly big against my physique and probably interefere as a result.

5/3/1 Journal

oh yes mrelwooddowd!!! PRI all the way. You know the lingo! awesome. We all have DID's and all the calling features you would have at home. It rocks!

Saturday

Cardio - 60 minutes
    did yard work all afternoon. it was hot, but the sunshine was great.

Sunday

Lower Body

Leg Press - 230lbs 3x10
    Quad Press - Drop Set starting at 100lbs about 50 reps WOW!!!!
    Leg Curl - Drop Set starting at 100lbs about 40 reps

Monday

Cardio - 45 minutes

Tuesday is another PT day. I will try to post tonight. TT!

Saint Patrick - dude, good advice and thanks for the suggestion. makes a lot of sense. Right now, I am taking days off between each workout since I just started with the PT. we only meet 2 days a week, but in the process, I am building my routine in my head. I did not think that one thru, but yea! thanks.

mrelwooddowd - yep, I am finding out real quick that recovery time is going to be essential. I hit my lower body pretty hard on Sunday and I could not imagine trying again today..... heck, not even tomorrow. My legs "hurt so good" still. Those drop sets smoked them good. So yea, I would be happy waiting till friday or after to attempt the legs again

Tueday

PT session.....
    Upper Body

Bicep Curls DB 25's 3x12
    rope pull downs tri's 60lbs 3x10 CC
    rope pull ups bi's 60lbs 3x12 CC
    single arm cable tri's 40lbs 3x10 each arm
    single arm cable bi's 40lbs 3x10 each arm

that took the whole 30 minutes and I went back to work as I was doing this during my lunch hour. I work close to the gym, so it works well as I still have time to eat when I get back.

I can already tell I am having progress.....quads and hams especially. Bi's and Tri's have changed as well. I have a feeling I will see progress quickly if I develop a consistant schedule and get the protein intake right.

tommorrows plans are to play it by ear. I'll report in soon. tt

Quote Originally Posted by fhornhead
    oh yes mrelwooddowd!!! PRI all the way. You know the lingo! awesome. We all have DID's and all the calling features you would have at home. It rocks!
    I work for a major telco. I am a PRI guru. If you hve any questions, I'm happy to answer them...lol

5/3/1 Journal