The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Threaded View

Spinning Away - fhornheads journey

Wow! I don't know quite where to begin, so I am going to break it all down as best I can. My current Stats:

6'1"
    220 pounds
    43 years old
    36" waist

I have been a member of this board for about 3 years, but rarely make any posts. I have been an anonymous "learner" for the majority of that time. Reading daily, checking out journals and pics and aquiring inspiration for my goals. I am starting this today in hopes of creating some self imposed expectations..... just trying to keep myself in check.

Now, these are my stats before I started working out.

6'1"
    400 pounds
    39 years old
    58" waist

I'm going to blow your mind with some after pictures, but that will come in the next post. I have not really recorded any measurements of my muscles (bi's, tri's, hams, quads, etc) because that was not important to me at the beginning of my journey, but now I wish I had them. Losing over 175 pounds has changed my life without a doubt. But I will never look like one of you guys due to the loose skin factor. I hope everything will tighten up over time, but I have been in a holding pattern on weight now for over 6 months and I can not tell that things are tighter, but it is hard to judge yourself sometimes. I lost this weight without any surgery or diet aids. Only working out and diet control. I bought a Mountain Bike about 2 years ago to facilitate the exercise. First bike I have ridden since I was in college.... 17 years earlier. Now I ride constantly.

My current workout routine consists of some form of cardio daily with muscle toning exercises, but I have only been lifting once a week. Kinda hitting all general muscle groups at once. I have overcome some injuries on my journey, one of those being a rotator cuff injury that pissed me off an entire summer. Working through the pain has paid off though. It's all better, but I am still weaker than average in my opinion. I have become addicted to cardio! I do step, kickboxing and spinning for the most part and muscle toning (you know.... those little colored coded dumbells), but once a week I lift for real. I want to increase that and break up the workout. Iím not quite sure how Iím going to split my workout yet, so I am going to experiment a bit.

Time is a factor since I work M-F from 8am to 5pm. I usually go to the gym directly after work and am there an hour plus. I am also a musician and that takes a lot of time too. Many times I have been on stage in a tux stewing that I had to miss the gym to come to this gig or rehearsal. Summer time is way slower in the music business (except July 4th) so luckily I wonít have to worry about that until August 15th or so.

Another very positive for me is recently gaining my Spinning Certification, which I am happily using at my gym. I teach one class a week and sub and I only hope I can inspire others to do something positive for themselves. A big positive about working at the gym??? Employees get to use the gym for FREE!!!! Hurray! Plus I get paid to teach. I will be getting my Group training certification in July unless something snags. Yet another goal to keep things fresh and exciting.

OK, hereís my before pictures. I held my weight pretty well while standing, but sitting is a different ball park.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SUMMER ROCKS!!! I LOVE LIFE!!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!