The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Country Boy

Schedule 40 or 80 Homemade Barbells

I am planning on making my own thick barbells for Benching an Delt Presses, In my research I found I need pipe with a 1-1/2 Inner Diameter with a 1.9 Outer Diameter, then the guy @ the iron supply asked if I needed Schedule 40 or Schedule 80. I know the higher the schedule # the heavier it is, but what about its strength. I ask mainly b/c of the price difference, the 80 is double the price of the 40. So basically what I am asking is the Schedule 40 going to be heavy duty enough to hold loades of great weight, are should I opt for the schedule 80.

It's not so much how much they weigh, but the ability to bear weight is what I am concerened about.

Lets use 300lbs as example, should the schedule 40 should be able to bear the 300lbs just as well as the schedule 80?

Thanks for the help also, it's appreciated

I have next to none with experiance with what strain can be placed on steel piping.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Either will be ok for a dumbbell. Neither will be enough for a barbell. You can put the pipe around a regular barbell and that would work. Or get a length of cold rolled steel cut to length.

Thanks.

Country Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnytang24
    Neither will be enough for a barbell..
    Oh I know, the Pipe alone weighs 20lbs roughly. Not that heavy so I'm going to be welding an older 22lb weider plates on each side to act as "collars" of sorts.Making the bar & improvised collars roughly 64lbs. together.

You can put the pipe around a regular barbell and that would work.
    I've tried to do that but the interior diameter of the pipe doesn't allow it to pass over the inside collars of the bar.

Or get a length of cold rolled steel cut to length.
    The cold rolled @ the place I am dealing with is quite ridiculous...but it is a good thought and it is a long term investment. I allready have a 5 foot cold rolled shaft, (bought from elsewhere that has since closed) that weighs in @ 55lbs. alone. So a seven foot for a Rack/Bench would weigh in @ 77lbs.

Squatting in the Curl Rack
    My thick bar is a six foot piece of 1 1/2 galvanized pipe and I've DLed 385 on it with less bowing than with my cheapo "real" barbell.

I use 2" O.D. pipe on the inside of an oly bar you have to take the bar end off then put it back together.