Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on running.

Your thoughts on running.

I was thinking about starting to run...taking probably 8 weeks to slowly build up to it several times a week...with intervals. I was reading an old article in Shape and it kinda got me interested in it. What do you guys think? I often heard running causes a lot of injuries but isnt that if done improperly. I have knee problems from a car accident but now that I am lighter they dont act up as MUCh as they used to. Anyways...I thought I would give it a try since it would be something I could enjoy outside and ocassionally run at the beach!

How long should I do intervals for? Or does anyone else have any articles about it.
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

Whenever I get the urge to run I lay down until it goes away.

running is fun. especially when you are being chased.

actually every once in a while i do some running on the tready, but my trick knee always let's me know it's not happy after, so i keep it to a minimum.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

PR blaster!
    running sucks, although it's not as bad as regular cardio. I've flipped through some of Shape...they should call it sheet.

Canadian
    Running works one of the most important muscle of the body, the heart.
    "Discipline is never an end itself, only a means to an end." - Robert Fripp

Running is great! But only outside, preferably in a nice park...none of that hampster wheel business you hear? It can actually get very addictive...

*says the girl who hasnt run since May*

lol do what you like, id pick lifting over running any day, but if you want to do both then go right ahead
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Originally posted by Jane
    Running is great! But only outside, preferably in a nice park...none of that hampster wheel business you hear? It can actually get very addictive...

*says the girl who hasnt run since May*

lol do what you like, id pick lifting over running any day, but if you want to do both then go right ahead
    Yeah, I figured I could run on the beach in the mornings and what not and just have that time to enjoy myself and relax. I still would be lifting just looking at some new ideas for cardio
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

I get shin splints when I run a lot.
    upper chest freak

Yay for running! I love to run, I'm sure you will love morning runs on the beach. At least try it a few times, I know that cardio can get pretty damn boring huh

i like running for the energy that it gives you thru the day
    i get a boost of endorphins after 8 mins and 24 mins and run for 40 mins 3 times per week. This lifts my mood significantly.
    The reason for this is that i used to be right into it for a couple of years and i felt so good during that time that now if I haven't done it for a week or two i feel terrible in comparison.
    Most people that have never got into heavy Cardio fitness dont know the feeling.
    After you sweat alot, your skin is always clear and firm, you also have a better smell about you.
    I like to to look as big as possible but also like to be healthy looking.
    I think a lot more clearly afterwards and that is important for me in my work.

Advanced running usually doesn't mix with Bodybuilding so guys should keep it down to about 20 mins, but I think for a girl, just do as much as you like unless you want bigger muscles - you will look lean and yet muscular.

dont worry about injury, just warm up and warm down properly with some good stretching and you will be fine. Stay off hard surfaces if you are gonig to run daily, alternate it with the sand or the grass, at least until you get a bit stronger in the legs.
    Last edited by Shocker; 01-16-2002 at 07:35 PM.

I'll get off my fat ass and run if I found a hottie to run with or behind...
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Running is one of the best ways to improve your conditioning, improve your cardiovascualr health, and burn off calories.

It's also one of the best ways to get lots of injuries.

Figures, doesn't it?

Make sure you have good shoes... the best you can buy. Find a soft surface to run on - Tracks or trails, not sidewalks or streets.

Progressively increase your work.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Running, especially on pavement, will take a toll on your knees, especially if you've already had problems with them. This will be true whether you do it properly or otherwise. Treadmills, while much more boring, will be easier on them.

If you're wanting to run to lose some fat/weight, it's a great excercise. But stick to the eight weeks at most. You'll likely have lost whatever weight you wanted by then anyway. After that, if you still feel like you need a lot of cardio, move to biking or cross-trainers, something less taxing on the joints.
    gt

Dad: "Son, if you keep doing that you'll go blind."
    Son: "I'm over here Dad."

Ok so should i start off with a breif warm up say 5 mins of fast paced walking....then someone said do 5 intervels....but for how long? Then a 5 min cool down....if someone could explain to me or give me a breakdown of what I should do to start..that would really help. Thank you very much.

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    Running is excellent, it's actually my second favorite form of cardio. Their is a nice park near my house so during the summer I used to due mini-marathons on Sundays. I'd usually cover 15 miles in a little over 3 hours. I can't even explain how I ended up doing so many miles, I just zone out and find myself in an incredible state of clarity so I find it a great way to sort things out.

Not to mention a great way to tan and meet women when you run wit your shirt off

Paul is correct though running can be hell on your shins and knees. I remember the fun of deadlifting with shin splints...now thats a new pain. Best advice is get some padded inserts for your sneakers and buy new running sneakers frequently.

ST
    Last edited by Severed Ties; 01-17-2002 at 04:45 PM.
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

the easiest way would be to start on a treadmill.

3 / 4 times per week - (I can never do more than 5 p/w)

running is like weight lifting, be sure to have variation in the way you train to get better, some days light and other days push yourself harder.

Treadmills are good for measuring intervals and establishing a good steady speed which is a key to good longer distance running. some of the best times in competitive 10 000 m have been produced from an even stride and equal lap times. It's about rhythm and breathing.

<b>Avoiding injury: you can avoid injury.</b>
    light stretching - (dont forget the upper body which is equally important to stretch) most important stretches include lower back, hips, groin, quads, hams, calves. 10 mins stretch.
    lubricate joints through rotation, gyrate hips, knees and ankles.

set ur treadmill to a comfortable, light jogging speed.
    i like the 9 setting, which tends to be pretty standard across all machines I think. 30 minutes duration is a good start.

have some variation in speed and incline every 5 minutes when you are more confident. I find this avoids stress injuries from repetitive motion on treadmills.

Warm down with a couple of mins fast walking and then stretch. Dont avoid the stretching and I think that the post run stretches give you the greatest gain in flexibility. Over time, without stretching, running stiffens your gait.

<b>Technique:</b> most common mistake in running is the waste of energy in vertical motion. watch the pros and their heads stay level, they dont bob up and down. You can watch ur shadow on an outdoor run if you want to measure this. Stride dont leap.

Be sure that u really sweat or else you probably aren't working urself hard enough, or you can get a heart rate monitor to ensure that you are in the correct target zone for your age.

move to the street occasionally after a couple of weeks and have a few set routes that have variable terrain. The street is fine to jog on in moderation but dont jog near traffic which makes me laugh when I see people do this because of the fumes they are inhaling whilst trying to get fit. Also when running on the road, note that the surface of the street is sometimes curved and can cause a hip imbalance.

The first five minutes of any run are the hardest, after 5- 6 mins your endorphins should assist in relaxing your warmed up muscles. Keep pushing and dont give up easy. The little aches and pains are part of running but as long as they dont feel serious then it is pushing through them that will make your running muscles stronger.

a large part of running is about pushing through mental limits. Your body is usually able to continue far beyond what you think you are capable of.

What Orange says is true. I see unfit guys perform great feats of endurance when they are jogging behind some little hotties that know how to run, they instantly become these great athletes, serious. Any other time and they keep trying to stop for breathers or tell you how they are going to throw up, etc...

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    I love running. For me it's almost meditative...I just zone out and think while I run. I used to run a lot---long distance type stuff-- and I find that even though I've gone through periods where I haven't run much at all for a long time, I still have residual endurance and can just go out and run comfortably for an hour even after 6 months off.

But, as some have mentioned, you have to work up to it slowly if you're new to running. Make sure you have good running shoes, not cross-trainers or anything like that, and if you can, avoid pavement.

It takes awhile to build up enough endurance so that running feels good instead of like torture. There seems to be some sort of threshold at 1 mile, 2 miles, 5 miles, 10 miles...as in once you get past one of those, there's suddenly a big jump in how easy it is.

Good luck!

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Wannabebig Member
    Last edited by crushen; 01-17-2002 at 08:27 PM.

So what, does this guy think you should just sit quietly when you aren't lifting?

His logic is hugely faulty... he names 2 dead people and says running = bad. I can name 2 people who are alive and who run.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

*** I took the liberty of copying and pasting the part where he puts down the notion that running is in any way good for ones body.

Our training facility is located near several streets and parks that happen to be popular territory for joggers. Every day I see them pounding along the sidewalk as I drive to and from work, and I wonder if they have any idea at all what they're doing to their bodies?

Jogging is not an effective means of improving cardiovascular efficiency, body composition, or any other aspect of physical fitness for that matter, and will eventually destroy one's musculoskeletal system.

*** Tell that to all those who participate in a couple miles a day or more of running. If you want a efficient cardiovascular system then you need to train in that way. Weight training will not help you run a marathon, as opposed to someone who ran every day in preperation for a marathon. As for destroying the musculskeletal system, that is a bit of a harsh description. The same could be argued about Olympic lifting..... oops, this is a Hit freak were talking about.

I saw Michael Pollock, Ph.D., FACSM, at a MedX presentation in February of 97, and he was practically a cripple from having abused his body with that nonsense.

*** Well since this man has a PHD and he is crippled as a result, I beleive that should be proof enough.

And since there is no significant correlation between cardiovascular fitness and cardiovascular health, the rationalization that jogging or aerobics somehow help to prevent heart disease is bull****. Do the names Jim Fixx and George Sheehan ring a bell?

*** There are more benifits to runnining than meets the eye. It is not only physically stimulating but mentally as well.

While obesity is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease and activities such as jogging have a slight effect on body composition, far greater improvements in body composition can be achieved more safely, effectively, and efficiently with a proper diet and high intensity strength training.

*** Where are the studies or the millions of testimonies?

Even IF aerobics and activities such as jogging provided some slight degree of protection against cardiovascular disease, what good would that do if it crippled you in the process? Think I'm exaggerating? Well, go ahead and find out for yourself. Just realize that the stakes are your ass. A few decades from now when those of us who've had the sense to avoid such activities are still fully functional you'll be a prisoner in your own broken body being wheeled around some nursing home reeking of disinfectant and stale piss.

*** I would like to know how running is more dangerous to the body than hoisting hundreds of pounds over the head, squatting, deadlifting or bench pressing?

For more info on that subject, I recommend reading the book The Exercise Myth (1984) by cardiologist Henry Solomon, M.D., and the upcoming book by HIT advocate Doug McGuff, M.D. that addresses the subject.

Some day, in addition to the fund raising telethons we occasionally see on TV for diseases like muscular dystrophy and multiple sclerosis, there will be telethons raising money to care for crippled joggers. Some pathetic, washed up actor will wheel crippled people out on stage to tell their sob story about how their addiction to jogging destroyed their life and beg for money for hip and knee replacements and to buy wheelchairs and walkers…

To promote jogging and aerobics as healthy activity is insane. High intensity strength training is a far more effective and far safer alternative for any physical conditioning purpose.

*** It's as healthy as lifting weights. It's impossible to know which is more dangerous.

If you can get a jogging addict to understand what they are doing to their bodies, and that they can only safely and effectively achieve their conditioning goals with a proper strength training program they will often still ignore you and rationalize it as being a recreational activity or good for them in some other way. A large number of joggers suffer from obsessive/compulsive disorders and will evade reason and refuse to accept that they are addicted to a self-destructive activity. Eventually, though, reality catches up with the jogger.

*** And Muscle Dysmorphia isn't a rampant problem?
    Look at the thousands of people, a lot of them being avid followers of the professional bodybuilders who slave away countless hours in the gym and meticuously(sp) weigh and measure their food and do large amounts of drugs. In the end they are no different then the "compulsive obsessive" joggers.

Sometimes it happens quickly, as in the tearing of tendons and ligaments in a knee, or a mouthful of blood, broken teeth and hot asphalt after a nasty trip. Sometimes it happens slowly, as in the constant pain of a degenerative joint condition that gradually forces one to slow down, until eventually even walking becomes an excruciating endeavor and they must retire to a wheelchair.

*** Sometimes it happens quickly, as in the tearing of ligaments or tendons from pushing ones self to hard on a lift. A miscalculated lift sends the lifter to the floor with several hundred pounds on top of him/her.

As someone once pointed out, jogging is worse for people than smoking. If one stops smoking before too much damage has been done, the lungs will heal after a few years. The same is not the case with damaged cartilage. Arthur Jones commented only a few months back that within the next few decades we might see a warning from the Surgeon General on running shoes, informing people of the dangers of aerobics.

***Yes the lungs will heal but what about the increased risks of cancer? Wouldn't that be far more deadly than some worn down cartilage. I myself value my life over some damaged cartilage. At least I can lead a life.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 01-18-2002 at 08:04 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    30 minutes, 6 days a week, with a two - two split. Two minutes all out sprint, two minutes walk, then repeat. Works great and it gives the joints a time to relax. Pumps me and makes me sweat more that normal running, heart feels like its in a shirt pocket though.....cool!
    "ACT AS IF.... outnumber

I agree with what Arnold Schwarzenegger once said : "all exercise is beneficial" - simple.
    Last edited by Shocker; 01-19-2002 at 01:00 AM.

3:16
    good post maki,
    How do you think the author would respond to swimming in his article? As that gets rid of half his arguments about cartilage damage?

the author wrote "Do the names Jim Fixx and George Sheehan ring a bell?" jim fix dad died early from a heart attack and did not run, Jim fixx did chain smoke, but he thought his running would be enough to prevent a heart attack even though he had a genetic predopostion to heart attacks and chain smoking. Well he got proved wrong, and should have not smoked as the other variable he could do nothing about.

running on the beach may decrease pain or chance of shin splints but its very hard on the calve muscles as your feet stick to sand.(well the sand i have run on anyway). I prefer grass. I caught stand treadmills as I seem to stand a lot more up right and my back get soar. when running on the ground I lean forward to avoid this problem (my natural running stance). Though never had this problem before I started deads and squats.

I have always like rowing machines in front of the TV.
    I feel swimming is the best as it has greatest overall muscular activity. so use more kcals and you work harder. Though cross country skying is rated as a hard kcal burner, most people have not got access to this.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Originally posted by body

I feel swimming is the best as it has greatest overall muscular activity. so use more kcals and you work harder. Though cross country skying is rated as a hard kcal burner, most people have not got access to this.
    *** Swimming is a great form of cardiovascular exercise. I would challenge people to swim several laps and report back to me.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Snow Shoveling.