Thread: Deadlifting help...

Wannabebig Member

Deadlifting help...

I have always done my dead lifts with my legs spread shoulder width. I have seemed to top out at around 605, for atleast the past 2 or 3 months, no progress.
    A buddy was telling me that i need to start doing them Sumo style, because im so tall (6'5).
    Can some experienced deadlifters make some suggestions please?

Well, there's a couple of ways to look at this ....

Anyone deadlifting 600+ should be giving us advice.

Seriously though, just give sumo a try and see how it feels. It may take a few sessions to adapt, but there's nothing wrong with training both variations.

And I think once someone is lifting in your range, progress is measured in years, not months. Things slow down drastically, just something you have to deal with.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Well, there's a couple of ways to look at this ....

Anyone deadlifting 600+ should be giving us advice.

Seriously though, just give sumo a try and see how it feels. It may take a few sessions to adapt, but there's nothing wrong with training both variations.

And I think once someone is lifting in your range, progress is measured in years, not months. Things slow down drastically, just something you have to deal with.
    Thanks for the advice. It is becoming extremely taxing on my back, becauase of my extremely long range of motion. I was just thinkin that using sumo could cut the range down drastically. I would really like to some day pull
    800lbs.
    I noticed that the guys in my weight class at the Texas Championships, for powerlifting last year were pulling anywhere from 550 - 650, so i just wanna do whatever i can to compete, and compete well.

Keep it up man!
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Might read through this article:
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/convert_to_sumo.htm

Its a good read on converting from one to the other, plus has a few good pointers in it help both the conventional and sumo styles. Sounds like you are well on your way.

Another piece of advice would be to find some other powerlifters in the area. Especially some that are stronger than you. That way they can spot things you might be doing wrong or some different things you could focus on or fix. I've in just doing that, even from time to time, that its helped me tremendously.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

how often do you perform deadlifts? how many reps/sets?

Gary Heisey was 6'5" or so and he pulled 900+ w. conventional - I don't think that you can definatively say that tall people should or should not pull sumo.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I think there's more to it than height alone. Torso, arm, and leg length are going to be different for people of the same height. Mechanics will be slightly different as a result. That's going to play a part in preference IMO.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I used to pull standard and reached 550. One day I just decided to go with sumo and discovered that I couldn't lift near as much that way, like 425 and it was hard. I saw it as a challenge and now a few years later I'm sumo pulling 650+. I wouldn't ever go back to standard. Most of my competitors pull standard and they routinely pull more than me. I think it comes down to comfort and personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by -TIM-
    I think there's more to it than height alone. Torso, arm, and leg length are going to be different for people of the same height. Mechanics will be slightly different as a result. That's going to play a part in preference IMO.
    Yes.

Donnie Thompson is a pretty tall fellow, not sure how tall and he pulls conventional. Marc Bartley is pretty short and stocky and pulls sumo. Its just going to be something to play with. I'm a little more lanky and pull sumo much better than I pull conventional. I can lock out more doing conventional but can get more off the ground doing sumo. So for me, if it won't come off the ground it doesn't matter how much I can lockout, so its sumo for me and I work the weak spot of it with rack pulls.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all the advice and replys.
    I have really long legs, and even longer lower legs, so my knees hang out extremely far over the bar. So with that said, im gonna give Sumo an honest shot.
    I actually tried it today, nuthin crazy... Just repped 315 for 3 sets of 8 to see how it felt and i actually like it more. I am really able to use more strength in my legs.

Wannabebig Member
    I pull conventional in comp but also pull sumo in training as I feel it maximizes my hips and glutes. Try some heavy rack work too. As you get stronger you will have to fight harder to gain. Oh I'm about 6'4 too.

I always wondered if I'd be better off pulling sumo since I can go very heavy on rack squats with a very wide stance (675x1 max). I just haven't had the gumption to try it and spend the time to perfect sumo. I always wondered if there is a ration of arm to torso length that is a threshold to determin which style would ultimately be more advantageous to use. Anyone know if there's a study out there on it?
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

How much different is a rack squat from the 405 squat you do now, whats the motion for rack squatting???

Theirs like a 270lb difference their, I think you should squat wide stance.. maybe not sumo but deff wide stance.