Thread: Strained Back

Strained Back

I was doing deadlifts today and I was on my 3rd set doing 295 lbs. On the 3rd rep I pulled something in my lower back and it hurts pretty bad. Have any of you had this happen? How long did it take to get better?
    hate the sin love the sinner

Unfortunately I have been there. I hurt myself years back doing sldl with 225. I suggest going to a doctor or chiropractor and getting x-rays/MRI's. I herniated a disk when I hurt my back.

If it's just a pulled muscle, you're okay. It will heal in 1-2 weeks. Just take it easy for your next back workouts (no deads) and then see how it feels in two weeks for your next one.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

http://www.grappling.com russianwol's Avatar
    It depends on the type of injury - if you feel tight in the muscle like a DOMS then you take it easy - put heat on it, stretch etc. But if you feel the pain is in the spine on joint - I can't explain how such pain feels - then you should go to a chiro. Now chiros will put you on a freaking 8 week plan - 1st week - 5 days adjustments + EMS, second through fourth - 3 times a week, fith through 7th - 2 times a week, after than once a week. Can be costly if you don't have the right insurance. But you have to do it.

Oh yeah finding a good chiro is important. During the adjustment you should feel a temporary relief of the pain. If the chiro done it right - you'll feel a great immediately after the adjustment. If you feel like something is still stuck then he didn't do it right.

Docs will give you muscle relaxants and pain killers and tell you not to do anything for 2 months.
    "If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes." - Alexander The Great

Maxes: B: 200, D: TBD, S: TBD | 172lb @ 6% on 12/17/2006
    Goals: B:225, D: TBD, S: TBD | | 200lb or 12%

MySpace | USDA Nutrient Values | Built | V-Taper

Quote Originally Posted by LouPac
    Unfortunately I have been there. I hurt myself years back doing sldl with 225. I suggest going to a doctor or chiropractor and getting x-rays/MRI's. I herniated a disk when I hurt my back.
    Experienced something like this a while ago.

Caused a chronic pain i've been dealing with for months.

It's now just starting to get better.

Take this very seriously.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Wannabebig Member
    to pull something in lower back dont sound good get to the doc for a checkover