Thread: Yet another deadlift question

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar

Yet another deadlift question

Ok so this is about week 6 into my deadlifting career. Today was my first time using an olympic bench bar. I used to do it with a standard curl bar at the rec room at my apartment complex, just because one of my friends used the same thing to deadlift.
    Anyways, I've always ended up with more of a back pain then a back burning sensation when doing deadlifts, although my strength has increased dramatically (went from a 45 lb on each side of the the curl bar, to 2 45's on each side) the bar supposedly ways 20 pounds, so that put my deadlift at 200 pounds. Well I figured something was wrong with my form, because I wasn't getting a good burn, more just a pain after completing the workout.
    So today I started with an olympic bar (standard 45lb deal) and started at 135 lbs, figuring I get the form down with the bigger bar. And eventually made my way up to having 70 pounds on each side. I kind of tweaked my form each time, but found it wasn't until my 5th set (I'm doing rugged ripped and dense 2.0 routine) that instead of a back pain, I actually got the good back burn that I get in other lifts.
    Hopefully your still reading, despite my apparent 5 paragraph essay of a post!
    I've looked at forms on the internet, and it's one of those things that I can mimic at least motion of, but I really don't have the proper form 100% down, I don't really remember what I did in my 5th set that was different from my first 4.
    Basically if someone would be so kind as to give me a run through of what the lift should "feel" like, where I should be centering my weight, etc. That would be great.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Feet shoulder width or slightly narrower. Keep bar close to shins. Squat down to bar. Keep hips low. Place hands shoulder width on the bar with a mixed grip. Grip it tight! Look up and keep slight arch in back. Take a deep breath and hold just before you pull. Tighten body as you pull against bar. Don't "jerk" it up. Keep head up as you pull, keeping the bar as close as possible to your shins. Don't straighten your legs too soon, or you'll be using all back. Once the bar gets past your knees, you can start to straighten them. Clench butt cheeks together and think about pushing your hips forward to lock out the lift while keeping your head looking up. Once weight is locked out, look forward, hold, and then lower the bar back down in a controlled manner - don't ever drop it.

That's it! That's a good deadlift.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Thank you,
    I've definately been straightening out my legs too soon, probably why my back hurts.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade
    Thank you,
    I've definately been straightening out my legs too soon, probably why my back hurts.
    That's exactly why your back hurts. Probably on one side only, right along the spine at the bottom. Welcome to the "did it wrong the first time but the weight kept moving up so I kept going" club.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083