Push Press
    Barbell Rows
    Close Grip Bench
    (CG lat pulldown, cable flye ISO)

Workout 4:
    Front Squats
    SLDL
    (hack squats, calves, abs ISO)

I'm thinking I'll start at one end for push exercises (presses and squats) and exactly in the middle for the pull exercises (rows, chins, deads). I'm just not sure how the periodization itself looks as I'm newb at this. Suggestion welcome.

Assuming maxes as:
    Flat Bench - 235lbs
    Chinups - BW(185)+65lbs
    Barbell Rows - 225lbs
    CGBP - 185lbs
    Deadlifts - 385lbs
    Leg Press - No ****ing clue
    Front Squats - 255lbs
    Push Press - No ****ing clue

So Flat BB would look like this:

Week 1 - 2x12 @ 165lbs
    Week 2 - 2x12 @ 175lbs
    Week 3 - 2x8 @ 175lbs
    Week 4 - 2x8 @ 190lbs
    Week 5 - 2x5 @ 200lbs
    Week 6 - 2x5 @ 210lbs
    Week 7 - 3x3 @ 210lbs
    Week 8 - 3x3 @ 225lbs
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 05-16-2006 at 09:08 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I'll def. give that a go sometime, but I'm not looking to change my routine once again. I'd like to form something with the layout I listed (exercise/split wise)

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

It looks alright. Just make sure to do some extra joint work. Linear periodization tends to really stress the joints (shoulders, elbows, hips, etc) more than a flat wave or conjugate periodization.

That said, you should see some good gains from it for quite a while.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Thanks, I've been stretching real good after every workout and warming up my RC's, erectors and knees before each session. Any specific suggestions about the routine or am I good to go?

And yeah, it goes look like a lot. I'll likely slow things down for a while after this program, I'm really looking to tear **** up right now though

I wasn't figuring you were looking to change things - just wasn't sure if you knew about conjugate, linear, undulating ...

I think you're good to go. You're really not going to know how well it's working until after the cycle is over, but then you can adjust your movements and volume accordingly for the next cycle.

Sorry I'm too lazy tonight to give a good reply but here are two links that are a must read for understanding periodization.
    Linear periodization: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....le=body_129per

Conjugate periodization:http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....le=body_133per
    Last edited by HeavyBomber; 05-15-2006 at 08:50 PM.

Read them at least 4 times. You won't understand it right away.

Quote Originally Posted by drew

Read them at least 4 times. You won't understand it right away.
    Very true. Hell, I have read them a dozen times and I'm still confused lol
    Last edited by HeavyBomber; 05-15-2006 at 08:58 PM.

I try to reread them at least once a month. I also read the Eight Keys series and the Squatting articles by Tate regularly.

Yeah, I need to get back into reading all that stuff again. The eight keys series... I think I remember reading that. I'll have to check it out again.

I changed it a bit as I kind of feel I'd be able to do any of those weeks currently. I started off with first ~4 weeks with weights I can amost 100% likely do now and the next weeks are in hope of gains. I can do 205 for 4 so I don't thin 225 for 3x3 in almost 2 months is unreachable by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    I changed it a bit as I kind of feel I'd be able to do any of those weeks currently. I started off with first ~4 weeks with weights I can amost 100% likely do now and the next weeks are in hope of gains. I can do 205 for 4 so I don't thin 225 for 3x3 in almost 2 months is unreachable by any means.
    Nope. All of that sounds attainable. Generally, you're supposed to base your periodization on a target max at the end of a training cycle. If you want your max to be 245 or 250, then base the numbers off that.

That said, the splits/routine looks good, f00.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

split looks very good, using periodization is a nice way to train, im sure it will work.
    2000 or bust

I think you should read through the links that Built posted again Crip. You haven't been training that long, so maybe you can handle the %s you gave, but there's absolutely NO way I could do sets of 75% x 12 in squats or DLs...

I've done my fair share of straight linear periodization programs and I usually end up falling behind pretty quickly with them.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Yep, I realize the program will be very tough but I just really wanna blast everything hard for this cycle and take it easier in the summer. I plan on gaining lots of weight (lots of McDonalds ) so I think I'll do fine.

I'm used to high rep stuff so that's not a problem except for squats, I can't imagine doing 75% for 12 on those but I will try.

Overall I'm looking to experiment here with what my body can and cannot handle, but you're right. It likely is a bit much. We shall see.

EDIT: Maybe 2x10 instead of 2x12?
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 05-18-2006 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    I think you should read through the links that Built posted again Crip. You haven't been training that long, so maybe you can handle the %s you gave, but there's absolutely NO way I could do sets of 75% x 12 in squats or DLs...

I've done my fair share of straight linear periodization programs and I usually end up falling behind pretty quickly with them.
    I usually can't keep up, either. But sheeit, you won't know until you try.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I used 70% today with 10 reps and it was quite easy. I definitely miscalculated my max on BB Row (I put it as 225; just checked and saw I got 205 x4 a few weeks ago). I was a bit worried that 70% would challenge me leaving 75% doubtful, but it really didn't too much. I think I'll do fine with the %'s.