The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Routine Critique please

Right been a while but i feel like i am hitting a plateau for some reason! so why not have your expert assitance to help me through!

at the mo im bulking, hitting around 2500-3000 cals

Carbs - 300g
    protein - 220g
    fat - 70g

hitting each muscle around 2 times a week (4 day rest between working them again) routine is as follows, oh and once a week cardio. this is playing football (soccer) for 1 hour every tuesday evening.

NB- when i hit 10 reps i up the weight but normally aim for a positive fail of 8 reps. dont always hit failure on 8 reps but i know 1 more and i would of if you know what i mean?!

Day 1

Squats - 2*8-10
    DL - 2*8-10
    Leg Extension - 2*8-10
    Leg Curl - 2*10
    calf Raises - 2*10

Rest

Day 2 - Chest and Guns

Flat Bench 2*6-10
    Incline Bench 2*6-10
    Inclune Flys 2*8-10

Biceps

Standing curls 2*6-8
    DB Preacher Curls 2*6-8

Triceps

Dips 2*10 - i have no belt to add weight so i am gonna change these, even though my triceps react better to higher rep range for some reason

Skull crushers

2*8-10

Day 3

Back and Shoulders

Chins - 2*8-10
    STLD - 2*8-10
    Lat pull down - 2*8-10

Shoulers

Front M Press - 2*6-8
    Rear Press - 2*6-8
    Side Raises - 2*6-8

Shrugs

2*6-8 front and back with BB

i normally have a 1 days rest and then hit a whole body workout on a saturday. so a five day split really.

What you guys reckon? normally complete everything within an 45-hour. oh an dthrow in abs as well, not really strict on these seem to get enough when doing squats and not fussed about these to be honest.

Im not sure if i should through in one more set and lower the rep range or add more weight and lower the reps as it is.

thanks guys
    Stan: Here we go -- mac and cheese. (Reads box) "Boil water." What am I, a chemist?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

1-I would increase the sets of the compound movements, i.e., instead of 2 sets of squats, bench and deads, increase to 4 or 5 sets.
    2-Do squats and deads on different days.
    3-Work triceps w/ back and bis with chest. Since you can't add weight to the dips you may want to do close grip bench press.
    4-Do a better exercise than leg extensions, like lunges or leg press.
    5-Instead of a full body workout on the 4th day, split up the bodyparts better so you don't overtrain.

ok cool! so what if i through deads on a back day?

keep the rep range on the compunds? As i feel i am not making enough gains on my chest compared to the rest of body.

yeai normally rotate between leg press and extensions, on extensions at the mo, will change that to lunges and leg press. Have my feet at the bottom of the plate yea?

And lastly split my workout over the weekend? ie upper on saturday and lower on sunday?

cheers for the fast response btw! much appreciated!
    Stan: Here we go -- mac and cheese. (Reads box) "Boil water." What am I, a chemist?

Quote Originally Posted by teck
    ok cool! so what if i through deads on a back day?

keep the rep range on the compunds? As i feel i am not making enough gains on my chest compared to the rest of body.

yeai normally rotate between leg press and extensions, on extensions at the mo, will change that to lunges and leg press. Have my feet at the bottom of the plate yea?

And lastly split my workout over the weekend? ie upper on saturday and lower on sunday?

cheers for the fast response btw! much appreciated!
    Deads on back day would be fine, I would keep the rep ranges no higher than 5. Your form usually breaks down when doing high reps, besides this is a power building exercise anyway, you want to lift heavy in deads.

On the compunds I would do 6-8 reps and on the accessory lifts do 10 reps.

On leg press, it's like squats, make sure your knees don't go beyond your toes.

If you're lagging behind in chest I would do the following:
    1- get rid of flyes, they're a lot of stress on your shoulders and you really don't need them.
    2-For flat bench, either do a 5x5 program, keeping the weight the same for 5 sets of 5 reps, or ramp up in weight, where you would do 1x10 @ 100lbs, 1x8 @ 135, 1x6 @ 155, 1x4 @ 185, 1x2 @ 205. (Just an example)

I find the best split is doing 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 2 days off.

yea i dont really like pyrmiding, i might give the old madcows 5x5 a go aint done that in a while! might be a good shock to the system. Aren't flys good for stretching the muscle? like cable cross overs etc? i normally preform these at a lower weight to keep my form tight.

so you only work each muscle once a week? or have i misunderstood you?

Yes, only once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by LouPac
    Yes, only once a week.
    and you see good gains? sorry if it sounds ignorent but i just feel if i rest a muscle for 7 days i lose my gains that i made

Believe me, you don't lose anything in 7 days.

cool i will give it a try for 8 weeks.

What you reckon for this for a chest routine;

Flat Bench Press: 2 x 6-8
    Incline Dumbbell Press: 2 x 6-8
    Dips: 2 x 6-8

Incline Bench Press: 2 x 6-8
    Flat Dumbbell Press: 2 x 6-8

Incline Dumbbell Press: 2 x 6-8
    Flat Dumbbell Press: 1 x 6-8
    Dumbbell Flyes: 1 x 6-8

this would be rotated every week?