Thread: Do "name brand" gyms usually have bumper plates?

Hybrid View

Banned

Do "name brand" gyms usually have bumper plates?

I currently go to an LA fitness and got a very wierd look from an employee when I asked about them having bumper plates....I'm just wondering if any of you go to an LA fitness type place that does have bumper plates?

I would love to add some olympic lifts to my routine, but comming down and catching the weight without dropping seems like injury waiting to happen.

most chain gyms won't even allow chalk or deadlifting and the staff would pass out if you did oly stuff. The best bet is get your own or find a small hard core gym.

Banned
    Or try a college gym. I know my school allows non students/faculty in and they don't give a sh!t what you do in there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing
    Or try a college gym. I know my school allows non students/faculty in and they don't give a sh!t what you do in there.
    /que's "schools out" by Alice Cooper

ive been to both types of gyms - the ones where they have to be perfectly clean all the time without a spec of dust, your not allowed to use chalk, they dont like you lifting anything heavy, and your basically not allowed to train hard because it makes the other people in there think working out is hard, so they quit in 1 week instead of 2

then ive been to the kind of gym you could spit in, and you would end up having a spiting contest with everybody else there - old school equipment, old school attitude - hard, heavy lifting, no excuses, hardcore all the way

the second one does have some bumper plates, the first one has nothing of any use and is possibly the most worthless and pathetic place ive ever been to

I got LA Fitness and it's a very clean, new, fresh looking facility.

I can do my deads, benches, squats, and everything is usually open. The people there aren't quite the smartest (alot of people do bicep curls and not many do squats or deads) but I like the atmosphere. Everyone there is cool.

Where do you live? Maybe we go to the same one?

bumper plates will rarely been seen in a commercial gym.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

My university gym I train at has a handful, maybe only 200kgs worth. The rubber has cracked on quite a few of them, and the centres are suited to a non oly bar.

Wannabebig Member
    24 hour fitness sponsors some competitive Olympic Weightlifters so they must have a few facilities that have a platform and bumpers.

I just visited a planet fitness and was extremely surprised. I never knew gyms like this existed. The dumbells only go up to 80lbs, deadlifting is banned and there are no squat racks. On top of that benches are only to be used for bench pressing and not for curls or shrugs(There are no racks to use for shrugs). The bad news is that is the only gym in the area, but the good news is I don't live around there.

On another note I have yet to see bumper plates in a public gym, but I go to a Y and they pretty much let you do what you need to do. If you need to implememnt Oly lifts, an olymic set won't run you too much.
    ďIím not like everyone. I donít live like they live. I donít eat what they eat. No donuts. No coffee with cream & two sugars. No morning papers. Itís 6:52am & Iím on my second meal. While everyone else is hitting the snooze, Iím hitting my stride.Ē Frank Mcgrath