Thread: Temporary tightness in lower back post-rack pulls

Temporary tightness in lower back post-rack pulls

Currently doing BGB. My rack pulls start at mid-shin.

I didn't have any trouble performing my 5x5. At the end my lower back was tight (not sure how to describe it). It was kind of awkward to move around and unrack the weights. I wanted to sit down and get off my feet. I went ahead to my next exercise, seated calf raises, and by the time I finished the 1st set I was fine.

What was up with my lower back? Could it possibly be my form? It's been 6hrs since then and my back isn't bothering me. This happened last week and didn't have any back problems then either, just that temporary tightness (maybe pump?) in the lower back for a couple minutes after finishing my rack pulls.

Thanks
    Last edited by Stupendous; 05-22-2006 at 01:53 PM.

That tends to happen to your muscles after using them man.

was that your first time doing rackpull or deadlift? It's normal for your lowerback to be tight and possibly sore consquent to doing deadlift. I think the tough part isn't about doing the lift itself but unracking the weight and put everything back. haha. If you are worried about your form, then google up some deadlifting video and observe how things are done. have someone watch the video and then watch to see if you are doing something similar.

Sounds like your muscles were tired from lifting the weight, go figure.

From your description, it's probably that you're not used to feeling the 'burn' or 'pump' in your back. Watch your form carefully, but more than likely, you're doing just fine.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Mid-shin is closer to a 3/4 DL. Did you make sure your back never curved?

Banned
    Sounds like your back was pumped. Rackpulls focus more on your back than deadlifts, so that would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing
    Sounds like your back was pumped. Rackpulls focus more on your back than deadlifts, so that would make sense.
    Yes, you're right. I just did rack pulls and the BO rows after them suffered horribly. Rack pulls work my erectors like none other.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous

I didn't have any trouble performing my 5x5. At the end my lower back was tight (not sure how to describe it). It was kind of awkward to move around and unrack the weights. I wanted to sit down and get off my feet. I went ahead to my next exercise, seated calf raises, and by the time I finished the 1st set I was fine.

What was up with my lower back? Could it possibly be my form? It's been 6hrs since then and my back isn't bothering me. This happened last week and didn't have any back problems then either, just that temporary tightness (maybe pump?) in the lower back for a couple minutes after finishing my rack pulls.

Thanks
    haha thats like saying 'i drove my car into a wall, an it got broke, whats up with my car??'

what did you expect to happen?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous

Thanks
    Stretch your back, before and after your workouts, everyday for 3 weeks, then on back and leg days only after that. This will stop happening and will keep it from getting worse.
    PDI Pro

Anyone else think that 5x5 rack pulls is a great way to dangerously overload your erectors?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Anyone else think that 5x5 rack pulls is a great way to dangerously overload your erectors?
    I'm doing it right now based on BGB. Should I lower the intensity or volume?

Quote Originally Posted by Progress
    I'm doing it right now based on BGB. Should I lower the intensity or volume?
    ****, I accidentally just deleted a great post on why I wouldn't recommend rack pulls with 5x5.

Maybe I will retype it later.

But the first thing I said is that you may not have to change anything if it works for you.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

****, I accidentally just deleted a great post on why I wouldn't recommend rack pulls with 5x5.

Maybe I will retype it later.

But the first thing I said is that you may not have to change anything if it works for you.
    Oh I see. I'm sure you had this in the post but how will I know if it is working for me or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Progress
    Oh I see. I'm sure you had this in the post but how will I know if it is working for me or not?
    Working? Are you getting stronger?

My main hesitancy for high rep work with rack pulls is that it's a concentric first motion that starts with almost all of the load on the erectors, where a full ROM dead will involve the glutes, hams, and quads more.

Working? Are you getting stronger?

My main hesitancy for high rep work with rack pulls is that it's a concentric first motion that starts with almost all of the load on the erectors, where a full ROM dead will involve the glutes, hams, and quads more.
    Ah, I see. Well time will tell.

Who knows.