The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Weightlifting Diet and IBS

I have a problem trying to figure out what is best to eat for me. I have been lifting for two months, but have not gained any weight. What makes me different though is that i have moderate IBS (irritable bowel). It makes it nearly impossible to eat according to what others on this site say. What I do is try to eat as much protein from regular food as possible (lots of meats whenever i can too). Anyways, right now I am 6'5 and weigh 185lb. I eventually want to go up to maybe 210lb, but sometimes it is hard for my stomach to handle 2500 calories a day without major problems. The most I ever took in was maybe 3200 one day and that was nearly impossible to do, and I didnt really feel to great afterwards. Ok enough rambling, I am wondering if anyone else has IBS and what they do to get their protein and calories in without hurting their stomaches even more. Any insight would be great.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Do you find that getting plenty of fiber in your diet helps? I would make sure you're getting a good amount of fiber every meal. Some good sources of fiber include whole grain breads, oats, and fruit such as bananas and apples for being relatively calorie dense, and things like broccoli and spinach are lower in calorie density but still loaded with nutrients. My GI doesn't seem to like a lot of things but so long as I'm getting plenty of fiber, I feel fine no matter what I eat. You might even be able to use whey protein if your IBS was that bad before.
    Last edited by superhombre2k; 05-24-2006 at 11:38 AM.

Very often people who have "mild IBS" have undiagnosed cases of celiacs disease. You might think about asking your doctor to check you out.

Banned
    Have you tried making high-calorie shakes? Would sipping on maybe 2-3 shakes a day, between or with meals, be easier on your stomach?

I've heard of both fish oil and glutamine being helpful for IBS. I'm sorry you have this - it must be nasty.

I THOUGHT I had IBS a few years ago when I was trying to drink skim milk. Turns out it was the lactose - and I'm fine with lactose as long as I don't drink skim milk (which gives you a big freaking WHACK of lactose all at once)

Good luck.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    You should look at www.eminfo.info , this is the page of Vinny Pinto, he talks about a very strong and inexpensive probiotic product called EM-1, with a lot of antioxidants, that you make yourself from water, blackstrap molasses and the starter. Officialy, the product is not for human use, although it is used for animals, and it is used in agriculture as the microorganisms help the soils and plants, and it deodorizes manure, also used for composting, and in japan they even use it to clean pools and to clean polluted rivers! Many people are using it, and there's a yahoo group devoted to it, called EM-health. The product comes from Japan.

It can help you stomach more calories, and get more from the food you eat. Studies done on chickens show that they gain more weight when using the EM-1.

Edit: thank you Holto, modified the URL
    Last edited by Bruise Brubaker; 05-25-2006 at 11:06 AM.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Wow.

Lots of good advice in this thread.

Probiotics
    Oats
    Glutamine

Fish Oil makes alot of sense also. The only place you have more nerve cells than your intestines is your brain.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruise Brubaker
    I was just poking around...

the URL

eminfo.info

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    You should look into virgin coconut oil too. It kills many pathogens that might be at the root cause of your intestinal problems. It is anti-inflammatory. The fats are very easy to digest, as coconuts are known to be very rich in the medium chain fats, which are quickly used for energy and can give an energy boost. Plus the oil add some calories to your diet.