The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member Jinkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    539

    Strength and development.

    I once thought that if u were strong you were big but ive been seeing some really big guys with amazing muscular defination(20 inch cut arms) who cant bench 400+ or squat 500+. They say that in the beginning you should train for strength but im thinking maybe i should add more volume into my routine since im not getting the size and definition

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Wannabe1970's Arnold TECHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    143
    lol, when I first started reading this, I thought it was a poem.

    If you want size, lift heavy and eat, if you want definition, lift and and eat, and then after a while lift heavy and eat a little bit less.

  4. #3
    Wrecker of Homes d'Anconia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,975
    Yeah I've started using PowermanDLs Hypertrophy Primer and starting off with heavy weight and then later doing some higher repetition sets (usually with iso movements). Once I get my diet in check, it'll be interesting to see how it goes.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

  5. #4
    As I Am Paul Stagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Posts
    8,669
    A 400 pound bench press is nothing to sneeze at, you know.

    People respond to training and diet differently, and the people you read about having 600+ bench presses are generally training specifically to improve the powerlifts, not to enhance their physique.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

  6. #5
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies
    I once thought that if u were strong you were big but ive been seeing some really big guys with amazing muscular defination(20 inch cut arms) who cant bench 400+ or squat 500+. They say that in the beginning you should train for strength but im thinking maybe i should add more volume into my routine since im not getting the size and definition


    You should know by now that strength dosent directly corelate into size, and vice versa. You can be strong and not big and you can be big and not strong. Then you can be big and strong, and you can be small and weak.

    I know a kid who I went to HS with thats 160 lbs or so and is nearly as strong as I am, yet not that big.

  7. #6
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    , and the people you read about having 600+ bench presses are generally training specifically to improve the powerlifts, not to enhance their physique.
    Bingo. Still impressive, nonetheless.

  8. #7
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    You should know by now that strength dosent directly corelate into size, and vice versa. You can be strong and not big and you can be big and not strong. Then you can be big and strong, and you can be small and weak.

    I know a kid who I went to HS with thats 160 lbs or so and is nearly as strong as I am, yet not that big.

    Not exactly. It is possible to be strong and not all that big. But it is much harder to be big (as in muscular) and not be strong. Unless you have crazy genetics for putting on size, that is far less likely to happen.

  9. #8
    Gettin' there Phelon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Panama City, FLA
    Posts
    0
    It depends on what u call strong, and big..
    Call me, Johnny. Thanks
    Check out my JOURNAL!

    STATS as of: March, 2006

    Status: Recovering from a rotator problem...again

    Current/Goal
    Weight: 240 +/-
    Height: 6'3.5
    Bench: 330bs touch and go / 360lbs paused
    Squat: 385lbs / 405lbs
    Clean: 255lbs / 285lbs
    40: 5.3 / 5.0
    Vert: 23 / 28

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •