Thread: 7th billion question on this topic....

7th billion question on this topic....

Been benching 170 as max for 7 weeks now and won't go up at all... I do DB press too...Any ideas or other exercises i could preform?? "The age old question how to improve your bench...."

My Bench Progress:

started in Dec: 115 lbs ----- Feb: 145 lbs. ----- March/April:170lbs

Eat more.

What's your routine like?

Do chest twice a week, once heavy once light. Speed bench on one day, with light db press. Heavy bench, 4-5 sets reps under 5, the other day, with CG bench press. Something along those lines. But don't go heavy more than once a week.

Wannabebig Member
    170 is your max? i would say im right around there now but i havent maxxed for about 1.5 months. what kind of program do you follow for chest? im been doing WBB#1's chest workout and its been working wonders. 2 working sets of inclines, 2 working sets of bench, and then 2 sets of dips. also, ask someone about doing lockouts once every 2 weeks or so. thats what first helped me when i started out.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrink
    Been benching 170 as max for 7 weeks now and won't go up at all... I do DB press too...Any ideas or other exercises i could preform?? "The age old question how to improve your bench...."

My Bench Progress:

started in Dec: 115 lbs ----- Feb: 145 lbs. ----- March/April:170lbs
    How often are you lifting for your max? You shouldn't be doing that very often at all... it's not really that beneficial.

Do a program - 5x5, 10x3, Westside-esque, WBB1, 2, or 3, BGB, or whatever - for a couple months, and don't test your 1rm. There's really no reason, other than your ego, unless you're competing in powerlifting competitions.

Also, eat more.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Wannabebig Member
    WBB 1, if followed correctly, is a great way to build chest strength, just ask me . when i started lifting in march, i was having trouble working out at like 115. after a couple months of doing it, i am almost ready to move up to 135 in my working sets.

I am a longtime lifter and I also am coming back from a shoulder injury a few years back. I was looking for a new routine to get me back to where I was and I tried the WBB1 routine. I have been using variations of it and my bench press went from 175lbs to 260lbs in 7 months. I also gained 18lbs of muscle. Eat, train hard, sleep, and repeat.

Try changing your warmup.
    Eat more.
    Do deadlifts and squats.
    Throw in some incline and/or decline work.
    Do dips, leaning forward.
    Try changing your grip on the bar--either wider or narrower for a couple weeks.
    Do chins and/or bentover rows to strengthen the lats which are complimentary to the pecs.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

I have an equation for you

More food+Sleep+lifting=getting bigger AND getting stronger.
    Call me, Johnny. Thanks
    Check out my JOURNAL!

STATS as of: March, 2006

Current/Goal
    Weight: 240 +/-
    Height: 6'3.5
    Bench: 330bs touch and go / 360lbs paused
    Squat: 385lbs / 405lbs
    Clean: 255lbs / 285lbs
    40: 5.3 / 5.0
    Vert: 23 / 28

take a short layoff then start on a westside program

I check my max every 7 weeks. I do a football workout program for Shippensburg University. I do bench cycles (every 7 weeks) ,flys,DB bench, close grip bench, incline DB press...pretty much thats all for chest but all not on the same day. Spread out over 4 workout days...alternating between leg and upper days.

i lift for max barely every two months....i would just stick to your routine and make sure you're adding weight every week or at least getting more reps in at the same weight each time you go....that way you know your'e getting stronger

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

Quote Originally Posted by jtrink
    I check my max every 7 weeks. I do a football workout program for Shippensburg University. I do bench cycles (every 7 weeks) ,flys,DB bench, close grip bench, incline DB press...pretty much thats all for chest but all not on the same day. Spread out over 4 workout days...alternating between leg and upper days.
    What's your diet and cardio schedule like?

Has been said, it doesnt matter what routine ur doing, if you arent getting enough cals in, u wont get stronger, try eating more, more protein intake.
    Call me, Johnny. Thanks
    Check out my JOURNAL!

STATS as of: March, 2006

Current/Goal
    Weight: 240 +/-
    Height: 6'3.5
    Bench: 330bs touch and go / 360lbs paused
    Squat: 385lbs / 405lbs
    Clean: 255lbs / 285lbs
    40: 5.3 / 5.0
    Vert: 23 / 28