The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Laptop "Randomly" Rebooting

Okay so recently I've been having problems with my laptop rebooting itself when I didn't ask it to do so. I have noticed that it seems to have started after I installed another 512MB of ram (pretty sure it was installed correctly, the computer is aware of the upgrade to 1024MB ram). That *could* be the problem but it might also be that I've been using more ram-consuming applications recently now that I got it upgraded.

Anyway it seems to reboot mainly when large sections of the hard drive are being moved or added to other parts (ie moving large files) of the hard drive. I suppose there's also the possibility that my laptop is overheating since ram-hogging processes I assume tend to heat up the unit.

Anyone had this problem before? I mean I was defragging and also downloading 3 bit torrents (at fairly fast speeds, total > 100kb/s) while I was taking notes in class and without warning... reboots. Any help would be great. How can I tell if my unit is overheating?
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Overheating.

Move it off a flat surface and put it in a cool area where it has room to breath from all vents.

To tell if it's overheating, enter your BIOS at start-up, look for diagnostics or system tools, look for temp.

Find the CPU temp, should be below 50 cels, and the lower the better.

Assume it's higher when in use then what you see, especially directly after a shut off.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-25-2006 at 11:33 AM.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Gamer/Lifter
    Yea, um overheating? Has it done it before chances are you caused the problem with the last thing its done. I've helped SO MANY POEPLE with randon shut issues, if its a older computer, and its new first thing to do is has any new upgrades? If no is it overheating? If no then new software? If its new upgrades ram conflict is most likely. Motherboard is next but rare and PSU is also a possibly. Is your PSU capable of handling this? I've had PSUs slowly loose their kick after a few years. How old is this laptop?

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You might need to get a new PSU. That can be a problem with laptops. They can overheat if the PSU (Power Supply Unit) is inefficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117
    I've had PSUs slowly loose their kick after a few years.
    Yeah, it can happen with laptops and desktops.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

WBB Member
    First of all, there's a chance you're getting a blue screen of death. In Win2k/XP, windows will by default reboot automatically whenever a BSOD occurs. You need to disable this to see if you are getting one.

Right click My Computer->Properties, click the 'advanced' tab, then under the 'Startup and Recovery' section, click settings. Once here, you will see another section called 'System Failure'. In this section uncheck the box that says 'Automatically Restart'.

Now when you get one of these errors, you will probably get a BSOD with an error code on it. You can search google with this error code to help troubleshoot the problem.

I agree, it's overheating.

It's probably just kicking off and back on, as if you held down the power button, correct?

I had this going on as well, but my problem was a sucky hard drive that had to be replaced. Still, though, it was failing due to heat.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Hard drives can give out as well. It doesn't have to be related to heat issues.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 05-25-2006 at 03:55 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Yeah I think it would probably be over heating or hard drive.

I don't know what PSU stands for...

I'm not getting the blue screen of death. It was just as MrElwood said, it just shuts randomly shuts off and reboots. I just got a new hard drive a few weeks ago so I doubt that would be the problem unless somehow I've been rough enough with the hard drive to already have it failing.

Anyway since it's probably just overheating, how do I fix that? Elevate the area where the fan sucks in air or what?
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

it shouldnt just be overheating for no reason. they're probably right about the PSU. search google a good bit, and git er done. thats how i learned everything i know.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia
    Yeah I think it would probably be over heating or hard drive.

I don't know what PSU stands for...

I'm not getting the blue screen of death. It was just as MrElwood said, it just shuts randomly shuts off and reboots. I just got a new hard drive a few weeks ago so I doubt that would be the problem unless somehow I've been rough enough with the hard drive to already have it failing.

Anyway since it's probably just overheating, how do I fix that? Elevate the area where the fan sucks in air or what?
    Did you uncheck the "Automatically Reboot" box though? If not then you wouldn't even know if you were getting a BSOD or not.

Just a suggestion...

Gamer/Lifter
    If it simply goes off and reboots its the ram. Try switching out sticks on the DIMM slots.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

First thing I'd do is take out the new RAM and see if the problem persists. If the reboots stop, you have your culprit. Contact the place you bought it for an RMA number and get a new stick.
    Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.

I agree with the last two posts. Reseat the RAM first and if you're still having problems then try each chip of memory one at a time. Also make sure you used memory that is compatible with your system.

PSU= Power supply unit