Thread: Injuring Myself Squatting

Wannabebig Member

Injuring Myself Squatting

So I've been squatting since January or so, and over the last two months, I've continually injured myself when performing the movement. Basically, if I squat sufficiently deep (to parallel), I get a pain on the left side of my leg. This pain is right at the top of my leg, where it joins with my torso.

When this happens, I'll lay off squats for around two weeks, and when I come back, the pain is gone at first. However, by about the 4th set of a 5x5, the pain comes back. This pain doesn't occur when I squat above parallel.

In the meantime, I'm now doing leg extensions as a substitute, but I'd like to get back to squatting if possible. Any ideas about what might be wrong?
    5'10", 148 lb., 13% BF

Lifts

Bench: 145x3
    Squat: 165x2
    Deadlift: 225x1
    Pull Ups: BW+10 x5

Squat deeper, with less weight.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Is it on the outside of the leg, IE the front of the leg? Could be your hip flexor. Is it a joint feeling?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by betastas
    Is it on the outside of the leg, IE the front of the leg? Could be your hip flexor. Is it a joint feeling?
    The pain is actually more toward the middle of the leg, not the outside.
    5'10", 148 lb., 13% BF

Lifts

Bench: 145x3
    Squat: 165x2
    Deadlift: 225x1
    Pull Ups: BW+10 x5

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Strengthen your core.

Those foo-foo exercises you see the trainers getting clients to do on the ground look lame but they do build core strength.

Pike positions etc.

Do your bones hurt or is it your muscles? I say make sure you warm up very well, and then start squatting with low weight, and work your way up week by week until you get to your comfortable weight.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics