The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

New Routine (primary goal of leg/hip power)

How does this workout look..I want to start incorporating some olympic lifts/plyometrics into my workout to improve quickness/power and I was wondering if I was on the right track...also I havent actually dont two (largely) leg days per cycle and wonder if yall think this is too much volume

Day 1
    3X8 Power cleans
    4X5-8 Squats
    2X8 leg press
    3X8 SLDL
    3X10-15 standing calf raises
    3X8 weighted decline crunces

Day 2
    4X5-8 Flat Bench DB
    3X5-8 Incline Bench BB
    4X5-8 Military Press
    2X8 Chest flies DB
    2X8 Lateral raises
    2X8 skull crushers

Day 3: Rest

Day 4
    depth jumps (or some kind of plyometrics???)
    5X5 deadlift
    3X8 reverse hyperextensions
    3X8 lunges
    3X10-15 seated calf raises

Day 5
    Pullups
    seated rows
    bent over rows DB
    anterior delt work (2-3 sets of something)
    standing curls

Day 6 rest
    Day 7 rest/start over if im up to it

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Mint
    Alot depends on your training experience.

Frankly it looks like too much to me. I'd rather see a bit more intensity and less work. I'd drop the leg press, calf and ab work on day 1.

I'd definitely drop the lateral raise on day 2. A complete waste imo. That's alot of pressing too. You need to do overhead work. So keep the millies. If you're trying to develope more power maybe do push presses. Flyes aren't very "functional" for strength and power.

Plyometrics are unessecary imo. You get plyo from engaging in your sport. Consider squatting twice a week. Full squats. One light day, one heavy day.

Day 5 you have anterior delt work. That's the front. Maybe on this day you do the incline press instead of day two. I'd drop the curls work chinups very hard. Twice a week.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the input. I've only been lifting for 3-4 months seriously so prehaps it is too much volume. What if I drop the leg press and calf work from day 1 and add another set of squats (i want to keep the situps as its the only hip flexor/abb work I do). On day 2, I could drop the lateral raises and chest flies...and just stick mostly w/ compound movments (however I'd rather not drop any of my presses as I responded well when I added them in) Your push press looks interesting but it seems to work legs too which I am not sure I want to do on the day before squats. On day 4 I thought I was sort of working quads as an accessory and was using lunges as a change of pace from squats to sort of work the same muscles but in a different way (I have heard from multiple people that lunges are a great exercise for improving verticle [one of my main goals]). As for the plyometrics I play alot of bball so you may be right. But I feel like I havent seen the increases in speed/verticle that I would expect as my legs have gotten stronger and would like to do everything I can. I

Mint
    Go here: http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/

and read everything.

Your routine isn't bad and the logic is sound. Just train hard and consistently, always strive to put more weight on the bar.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

I would train a lot of your power lifts around the 5 rep range, expecally power cleans and Deadlifts I wouldn't go over 5 reps on them.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the advice and the link Rex. Looks like tons of good articles here and I really like how he provides templates for incorporating power work into your routine in different ways.