The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

bench press competition

there is a bench press competition im entering that is 10 weeks away. it will be my first weighlifting competition. any advice on a training routine for the next 10 weeks?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Lift heavy, eat and rest. Make sure you stay in the weight class you want though. Before the meet you might want to take a couple days off from training. To get some good rest. At the meet make sure you get signed in and make sure you tell them your starting weight. Then make sure you tell them your next attempt etc.
    Last edited by diesel_dan; 05-28-2006 at 12:36 AM.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 210

Quote Originally Posted by xxbutler21xx
    there is a bench press competition im entering that is 10 weeks away. it will be my first weighlifting competition. any advice on a training routine for the next 10 weeks?
    What fed? Will you use a shirt? Is it a 24hr weigh in? give us some info about how you train and yourself also info about the meet then maybe we can give you some help.

Wayne
    pain is inevitable suffering is optional

www.ryanopower.com

http://www.prowriststraps.com

Mint
    Yeah. Taper. Start pressing with alot of volume, low intensity. Each week volume remains constant, but intensity rises. Eventually it becomes to hard to do all that volume at that high of intensity. So drop the volume down but keep intensity up. Set PRs on the day of competition.

I've never done this before so I'm talking out of my theoretical ass but this is how "they" do it.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

When you go to a meet, espically your first one, focus on getting good lifts across the board. Start out with 10-15% LESS then a weight you KNOW you can hit. They may throw you a curve, like makeing you pause for longer then your used to or make you hold the weight longer then normal before racking it again. Always wait for the commands, usually its something like down, lift, rack or something like that. If you notice their giving the commands, never ever do anything unless your told to. Keep form 100% strict.

Make sure you keep well hydrated and get something to eat 2 hours before you lift. Get 10 hrs of sleep the night before

^^
    Listen to him! Great advice there.
    Cant wait to go to my first PL meet.
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 05-29-2006 at 01:25 PM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

If your not already doing it do paused reps, meets are more experience then anything and its very important to get your first lift

There are only two commands, "Press!" and "Rack!".
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

make sure to practice with a suit prior to be the meet and get a good feel for it, almost have a practice meet with yourself so you know what to expect; have a friend pose as the judge and see what weight you can get and figure out what your going to lift
    Last edited by Jinkies; 05-29-2006 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Thanks for clearing that up, I've only lifted in a highschool football powerlifting competition and im sure its no where near as strict or run nearly the same as some of the meets you've been too.

If those are the only two commands, make sure you obey. I've seen alot of people lose a lift for racking early.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Depends on the fed. Usapl has a start comand has no press comand and has a rack command. Just make sure you know the rules of the fed you are lifting in.

www.ryanopower.com

Quote Originally Posted by waynedang
    Depends on the fed. Usapl has a start comand has no press comand and has a rack command. Just make sure you know the rules of the fed you are lifting in.
    I didn't know that. Thanks.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

No press command? So can you just touch and go or do you have to do a mandatory pause at the bottem?

You have to pause and it is up to the head judge to decide if it was long enough. They are very strict on this also (long pause but thats fine if its uniform) It is a stupid rule if you ask me. This is one of the main reasons I don't do these meets I think if they took away the start command and added a press I would do some USAPL meets.

Also some feds are funny about where the bar touches (no belly benching) and how your feet are set up (flat foot no raised heels)

www.ryanopower.com