Thread: i need some advice on gaining some muscle mass!!

Wannabebig Member

i need some advice on gaining some muscle mass!!

im 17, i weigh 155lb and im 5'11.
    i started workin out 7 months ago and although i've made some significant improvements in muscle shape and fitness but my weight still varies from 155-160lb. Im pretty certain that im not making significant muscle gains because im not getting enough protein, but the problem is im finding it impossible to get the recommended amounts in my diet.. 1gm per lb. i eat a lot but its not cutting it.. the catch is i don't want to use any protein supplements..and i don't want to over do the meat cause of long term health risks but i still eat a lot of chicken and fish..
    can someone please give me any advice they think would help my situation

thanks

^ is a horny teenager.

same prob

i really have the same prob. ive been 170 forevor. ive been told you just gotta eat more. get like 3000 cal. a day and dont be too stingy on fats and everything. just get as much protein as possible. make sure your routine is good too. you could be over working or underworking, or just not working right. also make sure you drink lots of water, because just recently ive been drinking alot more water and some difference is noticable. your also only 16 so your not gonna get too big.

Your going to have to up your calories and protein. If you dont want to eat red meat then eat tuna and lots of chicken. Milk is a great way to get easy protien and calories.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Wannabebig Member

age?

does the fact that im 17 actually make a difference in gaining muscle?

Senior of Kinesiology
    Yes, when your a teenager you naturally have higher levels of testosteone an GH in your body. These hormones help stimulate your body to build more muscle. Just make sure you eat enough. Since you dont want to use any supplements or eat to much meat, you should drink plenty of low-fat/skim milk. Its high in protien and it has some extra calories.
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

Wannabebig Member

hmm

then i don't understand.
    in the first case the guy said im not gonna get big at this age.. but you just told me at this age you produce more hormones that cause you to build more muscle.
    another thing, to make significant muscle gains without supplements, would i become fatter.. to the point where i lose my abs..
    does aerobic exercise like jogging 5-10km 3 days a week counteract the gain?
    Last edited by wild; 01-23-2002 at 08:30 PM.

But you won't be as a big as let's say, someone who has been training for 10 years.

Senior of Kinesiology
    Also if you dont consume enough food your body wont have the fuel to grow. To grow you must east more calories then you can burn off.
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

^ is a horny teenager.
    i say just eat a lot of low fat high protein food, seems to work well, and make sure its quality food, like eggs, not chips and hamburgers from mcdonalds

Wannabebig Member

so...

it is possible to make significant muscle gains with natural foods and make the same progress as if u were taking supplements?
    because my friend has been telling me the guy who works at his gym tells him you need to take the supplements.. naturally, this guy is probably just trying to con my friend to buy his stuff.. but he put up a convincing argument...
    Last edited by wild; 01-27-2002 at 06:33 PM.

Simplistic
    If you want to get big then you need to get your protein, if you don't want to take supplements then you'd better eat a lot. Thats it. If you are not willing to do what it takes then don't complain when you get no results.

That guy is a clown. You'd make better gains off of just natural foods, and no supplements, provided you can pack your meals with you wherever you go.

Originally posted by beercan
    That guy is a clown. You'd make better gains off of just natural foods, and no supplements, provided you can pack your meals with you wherever you go.
    *** The "condom breaker" speaks the truth.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 01-28-2002 at 09:41 AM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Simplistic
    Originally posted by beercan
    Was that directed at me? The reason for supplements is convenience. How many meals a day do you think he should eat? I say 6+ a postworkout drink. I agree that you will make better gains off solid foods but most people don't have the time to eat 6 meals a day and meal replacements make it a lot easier. Especially when it comes to protein. If you are having a hard time getting protein there is nothing wrong with a couple scoops of powder a day to help you hit your daily intake.

Wannabebig Member

yea..

they are convenient but i was always worried about the long term health risks.. i've read all over the net about doctors and whatever other professionals warning of all sorts of dangers..

and another thing, if you work out say..3 days a week, should you have 1gram of protein per lb everyday or just the days you work out? and when tryin to gain muscle, should u do little to no cardio? http://www.intense-workout.com/same.html
    does this guy know what hes talking about? because i thought u didn't really have to put on that much fat to gain
    Last edited by wild; 01-28-2002 at 02:42 PM.

Simplistic
    When I say supplements I am mainly talking about meal replacements. As far as I know they don't have any health risks. As far as prohormones and some of the other stuff on the market goes I'm really not sure about that stuff so you may want to ask around before you try any of those

Wannabebig Member
    a can of tuna on toasted whole grain bread will give you around 50 grams that's a third of what you're shooting for.
    Go heavy or go home!!