Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MM's 5x5

MM's 5x5

I'm going to do a classic style 5x5 workout, with an emphasis on triceps more than anything else. I did the chest workout yesterday, and it was fairly challenging but not nearly as much volume (i.e. as difficult) as I thought it might be. Just wondering if anyone had any comments or suggestions. Here's the workout:

Day 1

FrontSquats 5x5
    SLDLs Deadlifts 5x5
    Hacksquats 5x5
    One Leg Leg Press 5x5
    Ham Curls 5x5
    Calf Raises 5x5

Day 2

BB Bench 5x5
    Incline Bench 5x5
    BW Dips 5x5
    Tricep Pushdowns 5x5
    OH DB Press 5x5
    ABS

Day 3

BB Curls 5x5
    Chins 5x5
    Vgrip Pulldown 5x5
    Pulley Rows 5x5
    Reverse Pulley Curls 5x5

Day 4

DB Shoulder Press 5x5
    Military Press 5x5
    CG Bench 5x5
    DB OH Tricep Press 5x5

ABS
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

that seems like a lot of work...i would change some of the accessory lifts to a 3x8

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

I would do SLDL`s after all leg work was completed.

Do back before biceps,as your back poundages will suffer terribly because your bi`s will be shot,therefore, not allowing you to do full justice to your back training.

A better scenario would be to do biceps with chest and triceps with back.

Although it`s a 5x5 routine, I feel calves should be hit with far higher reps.......occasionally anyway.

Two pressing movements for shoulders is redundant....add in some lateral raises.

Backday needs a free weight rowing movement........either DB Rows,BB Rows,or T-Bar Rows.
    Last edited by Tim Wescott; 05-28-2006 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    I'm going to do a classic style 5x5 workout, with an emphasis on triceps more than anything else. I did the chest workout yesterday, and it was fairly challenging but not nearly as much volume (i.e. as difficult) as I thought it might be. Just wondering if anyone had any comments or suggestions. Here's the workout:
    Welcome to WBB. You should start a workout journal. It will help you keep track of workouts, whenever you start doing those.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Mint
    noob
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Welcome to WBB. You should start a workout journal. It will help you keep track of workouts, whenever you start doing those.
    A bit late for a welcome, wouldn't you say?

That routine would take me nearly two hours to finish, especially Day 1.

:withstupi

Two hours if I hauled ass.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

...and then there was iron Andre3000's Avatar
    Ima have to agree with these guys, you might wanna lessen your Day 1 workout, maybe put SLDL's on day 3?

You guys are either on crack or 80yr old men. It took me a little over an hour to do the chest workout.

Do back before biceps,as your back poundages will suffer terribly because your bi`s will be shot,therefore, not allowing you to do full justice to your back training.
    Actually, I want to hit biceps first because my biceps overpower my back if I do anything else. I'm not worried about moving as much weight as I possibly can on my back movements, I'm worried about directly focusing on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlymanNash
    I've been working out, just not posting them. Shoulder's much stronger; did 185x5x5 BB Bench yesterday, which ain't bad for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre3000
    Ima have to agree with these guys, you might wanna lessen your Day 1 workout, maybe put SLDL's on day 3?
    Maybe. I guess I'll do it once and see what it's like, which is kind of the plan with all of the workouts. I've been doing limited volume workouts for a while, and I'm ready to up the total workload. I'll find out after I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wescott

Two pressing movements for shoulders is redundant....add in some lateral raises.
    You're right, the shoulder day is bad. Think I'll drop the millies and add in some lateral raises. Maybe some non 5x5 shrugs, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex
    noob
    You and Nash should open up your own comedy duo. Make sure you have a well stocked bar, though.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Why do you delete old pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Progress
    Why do you delete old pics?
    Mostly to diminish the number of pictures of me on the internet. Here's a link to my most recent pictures.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...postcount=1120

why no back squat or regular deadlift?

With all that tricep work: bench, incline, dips, pressdowns and press youare headed to overtraining.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    You're right, the shoulder day is bad. Think I'll drop the millies and add in some lateral raises. Maybe some non 5x5 shrugs, too.
    Do what you want but I'd suggest keeping the millies and dropping the other exersize. Just my opinion but I think military presses are the best for the shoulders.
    22 y/o, 6'1, ~205 lbs
    508/303/557

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    why no back squat or regular deadlift?

With all that tricep work: bench, incline, dips, pressdowns and press youare headed to overtraining.
    I'll probably be doing regular deads in a few weeks. The rack simply isn't safe enough for me to do heavy back squats.

MM, if you can really do 5 working sets of 5 for all of those exercises on a given day, you must be superhuman. I think 5x5 is a really tough workout.

Try keeping one core bodypart exercise as a true 5x5 and the accessories at 3x8 or 2x8, like the others have mentioned. Keep adding weight to that 5x5 set.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    MM, if you can really do 5 working sets of 5 for all of those exercises on a given day, you must be superhuman. I think 5x5 is a really tough workout.

Try keeping one core bodypart exercise as a true 5x5 and the accessories at 3x8 or 2x8, like the others have mentioned. Keep adding weight to that 5x5 set.
    i've hardly seen anyone using 5x5 for anything other than for squat, bench, and deadlift.

Huh.

Well, I did it without too many issues. Didn't do calves... just never care enough when I get in there. Took me about an hour and twenty minutes. Personally, I didn't really care for it, which I think it partially due to not knowing where I should be weight-wise on everything.

I'm getting a lot of negative feedback though, so I accept that it must be a ****ty routine. Well, the leg day anyway; I liked the chest day and the back day, and it isn't an extremely long time to be in the gym. I doubt I'll keep doing legs like this though... However, if I do anything it's probably going to be a lot more reps, with similar exercises (probably drop the fronts, just do lots of hacks). We'll see.

Mint
    What is your 1RM on the:

Bench
    OH Press
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Row

any variation of the above (incline bench, flat bench, whatever). It's helpful when setting the routine up. Have you read the stuff by Pendlay? Or Madcow?
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

25 working sets for legs is nuts. You're wasting time and not moving as much weight as you should be, in fewer sets.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Bench --- 265
    OH Press --- No idea, somewhere above 150lbs
    Squat --- 365x5 (this could be much more, I've never done a 1RM)
    Deadlift -- 385
    Row --- No clue, don't bb rows.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    25 working sets for legs is nuts. You're wasting time and not moving as much weight as you should be, in fewer sets.
    Here's my old leg workout:

Squats

10x225
    8x335
    8x355
    9x355
    10x315

Hacks

10x295
    8x320
    9x330

Leg Press

10x465
    15x505 (PR, lol)

Leg ext.

8x180
    7x190
    There's no way I'm doing squats in the sissy rack here; think I should replace squats with deads, and just go with that?

Fronts, sldls, and hacks/leg press is fine.

I would only do one 5x5 though.