Thread: Workout abs during bulk?

Workout abs during bulk?

Iím currently on a long bulk and plan to bulk for the rest of the year, and so understandably Iím putting on a little fat, which Iím totally fine with. Even though I was stick thin I used to have very well defined abs, probably due to low body fat and playing a lot of soccer, but their gone now. I donít mind not having abs, nowhere near as important to me as bulking up my arms, shoulders, chest etc. My question is, during a bulk should u forget about abs till cutting so your calories, protein etc can focus on other areas such as arms? Or would working on my stomach during my bulk be a good idea, maybe not for definition, but for strengthening my core?

yes...remember they get worked a lot in other compound movements, but some heavy decline sit ups once or twice a week will help you later when you go to cut
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Banned
    i cant tell if this post is a joke or not. i'd rather have big abs than big arms personally

so... yes, work your abs during a bulk

on another note, you dont work your legs do you? when you get to 200lbs and you have a decently sized chest/shoulders, you will wish you had the legs to match them

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma
    i cant tell if this post is a joke or not. i'd rather have big abs than big arms personally

so... yes, work your abs during a bulk

on another note, you dont work your legs do you? when you get to 200lbs and you have a decently sized chest/shoulders, you will wish you had the legs to match them

what do u mean a joke?... u would rather have big abs? to each his own i guess lol

Workout everything in moderation on bulk. Workout everything in moderation on cut.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    what do u mean a joke?... u would rather have big abs? to each his own i guess lol
    They're the same abs. They don't change from BIG abs to SMALL abs when you switch from a bulk to a cut.

The same kind of question would be "should I work my chest on a bulk?" ... Yes. You are trying to put on muscle when you are on a bulk, so working out any part of your body is vital when on this training/diet routine. After you're done bulking, you go on a cut to reveal your hard-earned muscles.

So yes...work your abs on a bulk.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I think he's saying that if he works his abs on a bulk he will gain muscle in his abs, causing his waiste line to get better and seem more "blocky". This is kind of a myth though. Work those abs on a bulk!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    If you're doing an overall body training routine, your abs are bound to become more muscular anyway.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jay
    Or would working on my stomach during my bulk be a good idea, maybe not for definition, but for strengthening my core?
    You should always work your abs with deads, squats, weighted chins, and standing presses.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

...and then there was iron Andre3000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Best time to work abs is on a bulk. On a cut, just work 'em a bit, and hard - just like any other muscle.
    That is EXACTLY what i was going to say when I first saw this thread.

thanks for the help everyone... i'll continue to hit the old ab board

Banned
    do any of the things you see on tv actually work, like the ab roller etc?

Banned
    I use the AbRoller and it works, but I usually end up in the next zip code after use. But luckily I was able to sell my car and use it for transportation as well. Win win!

Banned
    lol, that was actually the funniest stupid comment i have seen yet

I have to ask... why did you bump a topic that has nothing to do with your question?
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I have to ask... why did you bump a topic that has nothing to do with your question?
    they're banned forget it.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony