Thread: Circuit Training & Metabolic Response

Circuit Training & Metabolic Response

I've been doing a lot of circuit training recently. I am curious as to what function this serves. For example, HIIT is an anaerobic activity that greatly boosts metabolism. Endurance training, on the other hand, is aerobic and as far as I know doesn't have a profound effect on metabolism.

Just to clarify, by circuit training I mean something like this, done consecutively:
    30 push-ups, 30 sit-ups, 20 burpees, 30 jumping jacks, shadow kickboxing for 30 seconds, 25 bodyweight squats, rest 2 minutes and repeat a couple times.

Also, I do something pretty similar with weights ... I take barbell with 95 lbs total and do ..
    6 deadlifts, 6 SLDL, 6 power cleans, 6 front squats, 6 push presses, 6 back squats, and 6 push jerks and then repeat a couple times.
    I'm assuming the body's response to these is the same, but perhaps since the latter involves 6 reps the body responds differently ??

I know these methods are great for building GPP and stamina and stuff like that, but what is actually going on in the body and how do they compare to, say, traditional HIIT as far as fat burning and muscle building is concerned?
    Last edited by KingJustin; 05-29-2006 at 09:38 PM.

Hmmm...

I usually call it "iron cardio".

I'd think of it as fairly intense cardio more than a muscle-building activity.