The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Dispute with Gym Trainer... Help

On this other internet forum I frequent, there is this one guy who always talks like he's a trainer, but he gives conflicting information on a regular basis. Normally I just ignore his posts, but today I kind of called him out. I'm basing what I know from all the reading I've done lurking on WBB this past year, and WBB methods pretty much contradict his. I was hoping someone could give me a logical explantion so I can just shut this guy up.

Anyways, about a week ago, someone posted the ever famous "is is possible to get ripped while building muscle" question. The kid asking the question, is 18, 5'7, 160 Lbs, never worked out in his life, and suddenly wants to look ripped for summer. He isnt sure if he should should start by just hitting the weights, or try to lose some of the excess fat he has by just focusing on cardio.

This trainer posts this to the kid to hit the weights for 4-6 hours a week, but to also spend at least 6 hours a week doing cardio. Wouldnt that much cardio make it really hard to gain any muscle what so ever? I thought it would make more sense to adjust his diet and just give him something like WBB1 to follow. The last part I find really hard to believe, is the trainer says it worked for a client of his and this 'client', lost 25 lbs of fat and gained 35 lbs of LBM in just two months without steriods. Is it even possible to gain that much muscle naturally in two months, let alone while on a cardio craze?

The actual question he asked me though was: What role does cardio have in reducing muscle gains?

Any helps of how to respond would be greatly appriciated/

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Iron4Life
    I think you already know all the answers to your questions...
    You called him out.. put the information out there... and have him prove his "client"...

Nitrogen balance, caloric defecits, thermodynamics.

Keep in mind, if he's a puggie, true newb, he's going to get newbie gains.

My first cut started off with me gaining 3 pounds of muscle, before tapering off into net -7 lbs in about a month.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-31-2006 at 02:44 PM.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

I'm bringin sexy back lifter4life's Avatar
    Any calories you burn doing cardio you have to compensate for in your diet. So basically if he wants to do cardio 6 days/wk while bulking he will have to eat a rediculous amount of food every day. You can also overtrain your legs while doing cardio which may lead to atrophy.

What he said about his client losing 25lbs of fat and 35lbs LBM is complete BS. Anyone who attempts to gain muscle and lose BF at the same time will do it at a really slow pace which is why BBer's do bulking/cutting cycles. And if he actually did say that about his client I would not trust anything he says because either his client was on gear and he was to arrogant to admit it or else he is just making that **** up.

Wannabebig Member
    I was a trainer at a big gym a year ago. I set up routines for my clients, sold memeberships. I did have clients who gained muscle and lost fat following a similar routine. They would lift about three hours a week and do about three hours of cardio a week, so it wasn't as intense. My clients usually saw the best results and we did tests every two months. I never had anyone gain that much muscle and lose that much fat in two months of training. The best I heard of during my time there was about a ten pound LBM gain and a 15 pound drop in fat. Some people gained more muscle or loss more fat, but that was the best combined I remember.
    Height: 5'8" Weight 220

Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as a reality-in your own mind.
    - Bruce Lee

Adversity cause some men to break; others to break records.
    -William A. Ward

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
    -Vincent T. Lombardi

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 5hift
    The last part I find really hard to believe, is the trainer says it worked for a client of his and this 'client', lost 25 lbs of fat and gained 35 lbs of LBM in just two months without steriods.
    So he had a net gain of 10 lbs. I bet he measure bf% wrong and/or weighed his client wrong. And if this is true, it is n00bie gains to the max!

25 lbs of fat and gained 35 lbs of LBM in just two months
    You can't even do this on gear..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd

:withstupi

DJ

Lifting is good
    I agree.
    "True disipurine come from within."
    Stan's Karate Teacher

Impossible.

He's lying.

Not even the biggest newbie with insane genetics and on steroids could lose that much fat and gain that much muscle in two months.

Those sorts of numbers are a few years work

Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    Impossible.

He's lying.

Not even the biggest newbie with insane genetics and on steroids could lose that much fat and gain that much muscle in two months.

What about an X-Men on steroids?

the kid from oz
    ask him for some proof. photos. and point him in the direction of wbb so he can learn some stuff.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok so its obvious he's lying about the gains of his clients. How should I reply to this question he asked me though?
    What role does cardio have in reducing muscle gains?
    I understand the premise behind it but I'm not great at wording it or explaining it in a way that seems credible. Can someone help me out?

He's also claiming that his success is all based on something called the the ABC's of anabolic training. Has anyone even heard of that before?
    Last edited by 5hift; 05-31-2006 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5hift
    Ok so its obvious he's lying about the gains of his clients. How should I reply to this question he asked me though?
    What role does cardio have in reducing muscle gains?
    I understand the premise behind it but I'm not great at wording it or explaining it in a way that seems credible. Can someone help me out?

He's also claiming that his success is all based on something called the the ABC's of anabolic training. Has anyone even heard of that before?
    I would never get into an argument about muscle catabolism unless I was both highly educated on the subject, and deeply experienced in trial and error.

I am neither. you are neither.

Just call his BS on the gains, and let him crumble amid the ridicule of the rest of the board.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Banned
    I would never get into an argument about muscle catabolism unless I was both highly educated on the subject, and deeply experienced in trial and error.

I am neither. you are neither.

Just call his BS on the gains, and let him crumble amid the ridicule of the rest of the board.

Good thinking.

You could also point out the HIIT is a better alternative to "regualr" cardio. You could suggest he try that with one of his clients to see even more impressive gains.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    Impossible.

He's lying.

Agreed. Depending on the person that may take a year anywhere up too 2-3. The trainer is simply over-exxagerating. If hes really posting some bad stuff see if you can get him banned or atleast get him too post correct information.

Nothing against this "trainer" but posting wrong information combined with fast food is the reason I'm going too end up on Dr. Phil as an overweight cow.

-jordan
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Funny thread.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

What website is this guy on?
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Don't pick fights you can't win. How would it look if the trainer came over here and saw your thread? Do your research and come up with your own arguments. If you have specific questions, that's fine, but don't come here looking for someone to back you up on another site.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310