The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Split Bicep - Not genetics?

Hey guys

I was chatting to one of my friends about our workouts, and he told me he's developed a split bicep. Now I was under the impression that this was a question of genetics.

A few points to take into account:
    *He's quite ripped. His bf% hasn't increased past 12% in the last year and a half.
    *With that in mind, he initially did not have a split in his bicep.
    *The split began like any other cut. Initially it was barely noticable but now it stands out like dogs balls.

Another thing we discovered is that the split only began appearing when he changed his bicep routine to incorporate incline curls. The one's where your grip is underhand throughout the whole movement.

I suppose the only way to test this is for me to incorporate it and see what happens. Anyone know anything about this?

-dk

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What split are you talking about? If he is flexing, are you talking on top of the bicep, or between his forearm and his bicep muscle?

To the best of my understanding, if you you are referring to the first, everybody has that. It's a muscle that can be targeted.

If you are talking about the later, that is genetics. I am one of those people who has a lot of space between his bicep and forearm. 100% genetics.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-31-2006 at 07:23 PM.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by DAN13L
    Hey guys

I was chatting to one of my friends about our workouts, and he told me he's developed a split bicep. Now I was under the impression that this was a question of genetics.

A few points to take into account:
    *He's quite ripped. His bf% hasn't increased past 12% in the last year and a half.
    *With that in mind, he initially did not have a split in his bicep.
    *The split began like any other cut. Initially it was barely noticable but now it stands out like dogs balls.

Another thing we discovered is that the split only began appearing when he changed his bicep routine to incorporate incline curls. The one's where your grip is underhand throughout the whole movement.

I suppose the only way to test this is for me to incorporate it and see what happens. Anyone know anything about this?

-dk
    12% bodyfat isn't that ripped, but anyway if his bodyfat has not increased in a year and a half, then he has not likely put a lot of new muscle (if he is natural). It is next to impossible to put on muscle and not fat to any significant degree. Unless of course you are a newbie or on "assistance"

The split IS genetic, your friend had the genetics for it. Any exercise would have bought it out sooner or later. And unless your friend ONLY did incline curls how could he credit that exercise with developing said split?

Wannabebig Member
    It is next to impossible to put on muscle and not fat to any significant degree. Unless of course you are a newbie or on "assistance"

I beg to differ. I've dropped from a size 42 to a 34 and weighed the same give or take a few kilograms the whole time. Obviously my fat level is decreasing and my muscles are getting bigger.

But about the split I am referring about. It's the split that runs along the bicep, not the gap between the forearm and the bicep. His claim is that the incline bicep curl I described above is what targeted it. My claim is that I thought it was irrelevant what exercise was done, as its presence was 100% genetic.

-dk

It was always there and just either putting on new mass or losing a little bit more bodyfat brought it out. Unless he's had some kind of surgery, the only way you can alter the muscle is just to make it larger or smaller. Period.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by DAN13L
    It is next to impossible to put on muscle and not fat to any significant degree. Unless of course you are a newbie or on "assistance"

(1) I beg to differ. I've dropped from a size 42 to a 34 and weighed the same give or take a few kilograms the whole time. Obviously my fat level is decreasing and my muscles are getting bigger.

(2) But about the split I am referring about. It's the split that runs along the bicep, not the gap between the forearm and the bicep. His claim is that the incline bicep curl I described above is what targeted it. My claim is that I thought it was irrelevant what exercise was done, as its presence was 100% genetic.

-dk
    (numbers are mine)

1. Or overweight. Though as you admit your weight DID vary. Muscle is denser than fat. The same VOLUME of muscle weights more than the same VOLUME of fat.

2. You are correct.