Thread: Pressing ratios: ideal, standard, recommended, average

Iron4Life

Pressing ratios: ideal, standard, recommended, average

Hey all.. I was just thinking about the different type of pressing.. and comparing my lifts.. to see or understand if I have a strength balance..

When I look at threads like Kevin's who seems to be able to Close Grip BP almost as much as his regular, it makes me wonder if that is average, or ideal, if my tris are weaker then they should be???

Anyone else want to compare their various ratios? Here are mine: (I'm using x5 reps - only b/c they seem to be more based on real strength then 1 RM & b/c my 1 RMs are less consistant LOL)

Flat BP: 275x5
    Close Grip BP: 205 x 5
    Incline BP: 215 x 5 (usually stand Incline bench - 30 degrees)
    Military Press: 185 x 5

Flat DB Press: 120s x 5 (240 total)
    Incline DB Press: 95s x 5 (190 total)
    DB Military Press: 70s x 5 (140 total)

Other:
    Flat BP w/Feet on Bench: 245 x 5
    Dips: BW (233) + 70 x 5 (form breaks down a little, so there is chest involved)

I think my tris are weaker then my chest and shoulders.. in comparison..
    Anyone else with an opinion?

Thanks..

Dude I am pretty much spot on with you...except my shoulder press I get use 165 for 8...i feel my shoulders are weak compared to my chest...but my tri's are on par with my chest.

Banned
    So, the x5 ratio is best for bulking? Strength building? Both? What's so great about 5, really?

Iron4Life
    Urban... what is your question for this thread? I'm asking about ratios of different presses.. Did I say anywhere where something is best?

I asking if my ratios are out-of-whack somewhere? compared to other lifters on WBB..

Banned
    I'm just wondering. I've seen x5 a few times on this forum.

Urban, do a search.

What sorts of numbers do you pull for your deads, and what is your squat? Back work?

Iron4Life
    Urban.. Beta.. u are hijacking a different topic thread.. take it somewhere else.. please.

Bearwolf:

I'd say your triceps do appear to be a weak point compared to your chest, seeing as how there is a 70lb difference in what you can rep on regular width grip bench compared to close grips. I can close grip 215x5 or even 6 but my 1RM for regular bench raw is about 275x1 (I can do 235x5). However, your difference could also be attributed to technique on those two lifts.

How wide of a grip do you use on close grips? Do you keep your elbows tucked into your sides when you lower the bar? Do you arch on either lift or both? Those things make a big difference.

Depending on your answer, if it IS tricep strength that seems to be a limiting factor for you, I'd recommend some heavy partial ROM work, such as board presses, rack presses, floor presses, etc. along with some weighted narrow grip dips. That should bring your tri strength up to par, and will send your regular bench soaring!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf
    Urban.. Beta.. u are hijacking a different topic thread.. take it somewhere else.. please.
    I thought we were talking about strength imbalances, not soley tricep to chest to shoulder ratio strength. Asking about the back is a legitimate question, as it assists in your benchpress and other major lifts. The squat and dead weren't to be taken as "OH Yeah?! Well what is your squat and Dead!? /smugness", it was asked as an honest question so that I may have been better able to understand the strengths of your body and perhaps add some insight into the discussion. Since it seems to be a sore point, forget about it.

Your triceps do seem weak in relation, but as you already have a good answer from Guido, go with that.

And please, do not be so quick to pass judgement, I honestly sought to help you.

Mint
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanSmooth
    So, the x5 ratio is best for bulking? Strength building? Both? What's so great about 5, really?
    Five reps with heavy weight is good for size and strength.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

Ideal ratios for what?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Iron4Life
    Sorry Beta... I thought your reply was to Urban.. I didn't think your back questions were for me... oops.. In general, DL 335 x 10, squat 365 x 5, pullups 7 (parallel grip) and bent over rows 225 x 5.. My upper back has always been my weak point..

But as you can see now from Urban's post.. there are other questions being asked/replied to..

Guido.. thanks.. my close grips have arms all the way in next to the chest, straight up.. no arch as I thought in close grip you are trying to isolate the tris as much as possible.

MixMaster... Ideal Ratios for Pressing.. I'm trying to figure out if I have an imbalance between chest, shoulders & tris..

Flat bench i can get 220 x 5 sets of 5
    dead lifts i get 308 x 5 sets of 5
    Close grip flat bench - ive got 5 out of 220 before once i think
    shoulder press smith machine - 198 x 5 sets of 5
    dumbell shoulder press - 77 x 5 sets of 5
    havnt done squats in ages due to knee problem
    dips - bw 194 + 88 x 8 reps

pull ups - bw 194 + 33 x 5 reps

bent over rows 198 x 5 sets of 5

i havnt maxed on sets of 5 before so the above are just what i no
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Your triceps might be weak.

Flat bench: 320 x 1
    Close grip bench: 300 x 1
    DB Bench: 120 x 6 (last summer, i'll check again soon)

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf
    MixMaster... Ideal Ratios for Pressing.. I'm trying to figure out if I have an imbalance between chest, shoulders & tris..
    There is no such thing as a magic ratio.

Powerlifters will require certain strength proportions, oly. lifters something very different, and bodybuilders don't care as long as the aesthetics are there.

So, ideal ratios for what?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Iron4Life
    Sorry Mix master.. I guess I'm really not listening to your question.. oops.. thanks for being patient with me :-) I know there is no magic, was just looking for what some other experienced lifters have..

I guess my query would be more towards the PL Proportions...
    Although I guess I'm interested in what Oly lifters do - but then again they don't do that much BP or tri work, do they?

Thanks Hill and Kev... I definitely have a tricep inbalance compared to your ratios...

You're going to get much different ratios across the board. Oly lifters will be vastly different than powerlifters and they both more different than bodybuilders.

The real idea, will be to focus on what is working and not working for you as related to your goals. What do you want to focus on or what do you want to be able to do? Answer those and we can start to get a better idea of where you need to be.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Iron4Life
    I don't know what is working/not working.. that is why the question on pressing ratios...

I really want to hit that BP in my sig by the end of the year.. raw and drug free..
    So I understand the importance of Squatting, DLing, GPP, Core, Technique and all that to support that kind of bench...
    But what I don't have a grasp on is what the proper balance is in the 3 major upper body pressing muscles - chest, shoulders, tris... and since size is not a way to understand their balance, then we have to measure the pressing exercises themselves

So ultimately, the question is simple:
    Am I doing the right balance between Chest, SHoulders and Tri exercises?

From Hill and Kev, their suggestion is that it looks like my Tris are not as in balance as shoulders and chest.

But I want as much knowledge as possible.. if there is some scientific info out there, please point me in the direction please... if someone has a similiar ratio and can still press heavy benches, then how do you overcome the weak area? Any other suggestions/experiences are greatly appreciated.

Thanks..

Personally i think your looking at ratios to much. If you think your tri's are lacking and you want to hit a specific bench goal then work on bring your tri's upto par. As we know tri's play a big part in benching so this will help your lifts. Work on Flat barbell bench and weighted dips have helped me. maybe even try a 5x5 on close grip flat bench for a while change things up and eat alot lol
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Okay, you want to improve your bench. Easy enough. What's your routine look like?

Where are you stalling on the bench? This'll determine the exercises picked. In order to increase the bench, its a function of making the tri's stronger. In relation to the chest the tri's are a smaller muscle and will always be weaker. Different genetics and biomechanics will determine different ratios. Don't worry so much about that.

How are your pulling numbers? A big bench is also a product of a big back. The lats do a lot more work than you might think.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.