Thread: Sumo deadlift/SLDL in same routine?

Shoulda been a meso... puny_ectomorph's Avatar

Sumo deadlift/SLDL in same routine?

Hello all,

Haven't posted in awhile, but came up with a question after reading some of Stuart McRobert's and a few other authors' stuff.

It seems the general consensus, at least according to the various works I've read, is that conventional deadlifts and SLDLs in the same program can be detrimental. I can understand why, as both hit the lower back pretty hard.

However, sumo deadlifts don't seem to hit the lower back near as hard, at least in my experience (I feel it more in the traps and quads). Are sumos and SLDLs compatible in a routine?

(Note: I'm not currently doing squats due to lack of a squat rack, been focusing on deadlifts pretty hardcore the last couple of months as a replacement)

Thanks,
    -p-
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Currently dl'ing 255 for 3 reps x 8 sets
    Goals:
    350 lb deadlift by Feb. 2007

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

bump
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Goals:

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

I would stay away from them. Sumos should hit the lower back more than convo. I only do SLDL if I'm doing heavy squats or GMs, but never after DLs.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by puny_ectomorph
    Hello all,

Haven't posted in awhile, but came up with a question after reading some of Stuart McRobert's and a few other authors' stuff.

It seems the general consensus, at least according to the various works I've read, is that conventional deadlifts and SLDLs in the same program can be detrimental. I can understand why, as both hit the lower back pretty hard.

However, sumo deadlifts don't seem to hit the lower back near as hard, at least in my experience (I feel it more in the traps and quads). Are sumos and SLDLs compatible in a routine?

(Note: I'm not currently doing squats due to lack of a squat rack, been focusing on deadlifts pretty hardcore the last couple of months as a replacement)

Thanks,
    -p-

So you are saying in the same week routine or the same day?
    18 Years of Age

5'7'' 140 lbs---Now 148

As of Feb. 2006------As of April 2006------As of July 2006

Bench- 155 x 2------170 x 1--------------Not Tested
    Squat- 200 x 1 (parallel)------Untested-------205 x 1 (Ass to Grass)
    Dead- Untested------235 x 2-----------250lbs x1 (3 sets of this)

Sumos should hit the lower back more than convo
    I usually agree with most anything you say but i'd have to dissagree there my friend. Sumo definitelly doenst kill my lower back like conv. did.

I think one of my strengths is that I have learned to understand what I can do effectively. If I feel up to a specific exerercise then I go ahead and do it. If my body tells me otherwise in the days following then I know it wasn't the best thing to do. If you do sumos and you have the energy and strength to do the SLDL then try it out. If you're hobbling around three days after with the wrong kind of pain then you learned something. If you recover and feel great then you learn that it was okay. If after several weeks you see gains then great, if not then back off that combination. I guess what I'm saying is, learn what is best for your body and pursue it.
    Last edited by HeavyBomber; 05-31-2006 at 09:16 PM.

I'm not including the SLDLs in the same workout as the sumos. Sumos go on Monday along with parallel bar dips and overhead presses; SLDLs go on Friday with pull-ups.

The routine is an abbreviated one from Beyond Brawn; I simply switched out squats for sumo deadlifts.

-puny-
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Goals: