Thread: On the road to the one arm pull-up...

On the road to the one arm pull-up...

Tried searching but I didn't find anything.

Anyways, so for wrestling i'm working on getting great back strength, so a lot of focus, at least for upperbody, I put on back and biceps over chest and triceps. ANyways, I would looove to be able to do a one armed-pull up; This seems like a huge milestone in both back/arm strength as well as grip.

Currently I'm doing 3 sets of 5 for pull-ups. I use good form, go all the way down, and I do bodyweight + a 35 lb dumbell held with my feet. Thats starting to get a bit heavy, so i'm thinking of investing into a belt.

So I guess I'm asking, how much further do I need to go, and what else should I train? I can currently only go about halfway up; I don't do a lot of direct grip work, but I train EVERYTHING with a thick bar (except deadlifts - thats damn near impossible for me). Cleans are especially hard. Sometimes I do pull-ups using a towell, but I can't do that with heavy weight. What else should I work on for grip/back strength to reach this goal? I'd like to get there in about 3 months; is this realistic?
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

I think you've got a long way to go. I would say if you can strap your own body weight on and do a couple of reps, you're nearly there. Keep doing pullups and keep working the lats. You might also try stiff arm pullups (something that I'm planning to implement).

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I was doing chins with about 175% of bodyweight at one point, but I couldn't do a OAC. However, most people that can do OAC can't do 2x BW chins. It's more technique, once you have a reasonable amount of strength -- at least 150% of bodyweight.

I'm not sure that OACs are worth the probable tendonitis issues.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Could the tendonitis be avoided with alot of elbow flexor/forearm work?
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Could the tendonitis be avoided with alot of elbow flexor/forearm work?
    YEARS worth of training would be required to build the musculature and suporting tendon strength to go from chins +35 to OAC in a safe manner.

Rock climbers and gymnasts capable of OAC typically have years of training.

The OP should worry about increasing his chining to +50 and then +60 and so on, before OACs. Similarly, it would be foolish for me to worry about squatting 600 or even 500 before I ever get to 400.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Oh I know that, but how is the musculature affected differently in one arm chin as opposed to the two arm chin(aside from moving double the weight per arm)? It looks much more dependent on forearm musculature to me, thats why I asked.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 05-18-2006 at 01:08 PM.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

The musculature isn't really used differently -- though most OACs are done with a neutral grip to minimize rotation. Forearm musculature isn't really a limiting factor at all. If you can hang for a while from one arm, that is plenty.

Hmm...

*damn.*

Guess I'll keep liftin then.

hazerboy, if you're training for wrestling, let me just recommend you work with explosive training as well as your strength training. i wrestled for many years (still mess around, no longer doing what i did in highschool or anythign tho), and if i could go back and change things, here's what i would do:
    1) way, way more explosive training.
    2) less long duration endurance/cardio and more 'crossfit style' 6 minute high intensity sessions
    3) used stimulants/ergogenics before matches and creatine year round (can't imagine stimulants (i'm talking legal stims here, not meth or something haha) are banned in highschool stuff, i'm talking like caffeine+yohimbine+ephedra (that last one may be questionable, ask your coach)
    4) trained my wrists ad nauseum
    5) eliminated almost all 'isolation' stuff from my routine, and incorporated stuff that was much more 'compound/core' oriented. overhead squats, thrusters, clean/jerk/snatch, good mornings, windshield wipers (see crossfit), etc etc. all of those would be done (if appropriate for your level of skill) as explosively as possible.
    6) incorporated wrestling style lifts
    heavy squats and speed squats for standups
    lunges for shooting
    ab work for getting off your back (if you ever went there in the first place, dunno how good you are)
    static arm strength for holding people tight until they finally put those blades down

if you have specific wrestling q's feel free to pm

to do a one arp pullup or chin up requires one to be a total manchild. I am no where close to one and I can do a decent amount of 2 arm ones myself