Thread: coughing after cardio

coughing after cardio

I'm in pretty bad cardiovascular shape. I smoked for three years, but six months ago I quit and recently I've started jogging and doing HIIT. After every session, I start coughing, and it lasts for about half an hour. Is this normal, or should I be worried?

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    It's going to take a while for your lungs to recuperate. I've your lungs will be like "normal" again after 15 years of not smoking.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Well, that's what I get for smoking. But, you think the coughing is from the smoking? I'm just afraid I've developed lung cancer or asthma.

Combat Infantryman
    If you had asthma you'd know it. You're a heavy smoker who never did cardio and now you're jumping into HIIT; you're gonna feel the burn.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

Ok, I just didn't know if it was normal to cough. I was never a heavy smoker. I'd say throughout the three years I averaged about 6 cigarettes per day.

.::.:::...:.:..:::::.::.. : Thexile's Avatar
    to a non smoker, thats a lot . but idk. if thats not heavy then what is? 2 cartons a day?

im pretty sure if u did that you wouldn't be alive to do hiit.
    nemo me impune lacessit

Two cartons a day is 400 cigarettes, so there is a little room in between that and six to locate the heavy smoking range.

Combat Infantryman
    What does your schedule look like? Training wise.
    U.S. Army Infantry

.::.:::...:.:..:::::.::.. : Thexile's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noahfor123
    Two cartons a day is 400 cigarettes, so there is a little room in between that and six to locate the heavy smoking range.
    chill out. not saying literally. its a comparison just like 6 beers for a 110lb guy who never drinks is a lot compared to a guy who is 300lbs and regularly downs a bottle of smirnoff every 2.5 days.
    nemo me impune lacessit

Quote Originally Posted by Bikkstah
    What does your schedule look like? Training wise.
    I do a full body weight routine about once a week, rock climb(boulder) 3 times a week, jog 2 miles once a week, and do HIIT once a week. I don't jog, do HIIT, or rock climb on the day I lift.

Combat Infantryman
    Well that's not the problem then. I'd say see a doctor, obviously. He's gonna tell you more than likely that everything you're doing is terrible and you need to walk a quarter mile every week and portion your meals, but it might be worth it nonetheless to have your lungs checked out.
    U.S. Army Infantry

I really wouldn't worry about it too much, I'm still a smoker and I cough after cardio, its just part of the territory.

Last year i was coughing day and night and eventually started to bring up blood, turns out I was carrying round a case of mild pneumonia!

If it persists for another week i'd go to the doctors, but honestly i doubt you've got cancer.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    I really wouldn't worry about it too much, I'm still a smoker and I cough after cardio, its just part of the territory.
    Or a sign that you should quit smoking...
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I have mild asthma - I don't need treatments or an inhaler but when I run I cough alot and get a tightness in my chest....just a thought.

Of course the smoking didn't help your dilemma.
    Last edited by Stray; 07-04-2006 at 12:03 AM.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.