The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Load weights onto the bar, clean the weights and set them into squat position. Im sure you can handle it from there.

And dont laugh, for the longest time at first I could clean the weight easier then I could squat it. Obviously that changed after I started progressing, but its what I've done before.
    yup, but hopefully you were talking about clean to front squat, becuse a back squat would be murder to press the weight over head after finishing sets.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    This is not going to end good.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Obviously he wont be doing like 225+LBS, but I've done it with 135. If he had bumper plates he could just drop the weights when he was done...

Wannabebig&sexy Member
    Huntsville (Northwest)/Russellville, Arkansas
    Guys, I dont have a rack and what I do is put the bar behind me, pretend like I am going to deadlift it (behind me), and just use the same posture/form as if I was doing a real squat, except that I am lowering the weight almost to the floor and then going up. Is that any good?
    Personal Stats
    Bench - 315 lb's @ 1x1
    Deadlift - 365 lb's @ 3 x 5
    Squat - 255 lb's @ 5 x 5
    Fitday

Living well is the Best revenge.

Currently cutting

Quote Originally Posted by Rex
    Most people clean significantly less than they squat. That's compounded by the fact that their front squat gains will outpace their clean gains. So yeah, clean the weight is great over the short term but it's really not a viable long term solution. Especially if you take the movement seriously and work it hard you really need a rack.
    Only because most people don't know how to clean properly. All the more reason they should learn. If you know what you're doing, you should be able to clean *roughly* your best front squat triple. So it should be rather easy to clean a weight you intend to front squat 6+ times. Obviously Heavy, low rep work is out of the question, but it's still a good solution.

Mint
    Quote Originally Posted by khari
    Obviously Heavy, low rep work is out of the question
    Bah! Go heavy or go home.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

Quote Originally Posted by gains2385
    Guys, I dont have a rack and what I do is put the bar behind me, pretend like I am going to deadlift it (behind me), and just use the same posture/form as if I was doing a real squat, except that I am lowering the weight almost to the floor and then going up. Is that any good?
    These are called hack squats. They emphasize the quads, but do not stress the core as top loaded squats do.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Iron4Life
    If you don't like the Dig a hole idea...
    Try Zercher Squats, Static Squats (with as much weight as you can get on your shoulders), Jefferson Squats (just watch your privates), Wall squats with weight, Bulgarian Squats with DBs, Single Leg Box Squats with DBs....

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRoss
    Sometimes i hold HEAVY dumbells by my side, stand on a platform and just squat down reaaaal deep with those... i get a real narrow stance and it Wrecks the outsides of my quads.
    I did these today after my Squat routine, it was solid. They work really well, nice change every once in a while.

Wannabebig&sexy Member
    Huntsville (Northwest)/Russellville, Arkansas
    Quote Originally Posted by dw06wu
    These are called hack squats. They emphasize the quads, but do not stress the core as top loaded squats do.
    hey, thanks for the reply. I was looking through a M&F (talked about a mag filled with useless adds promising the world... ) and saw one of the models demonstrate a hack squat. I like it well enough...my legs hurt well enough and I feel like I accomplished SOMETHING at least on my leg day.
    Personal Stats
    Bench - 315 lb's @ 1x1
    Deadlift - 365 lb's @ 3 x 5
    Squat - 255 lb's @ 5 x 5
    Fitday

Living well is the Best revenge.

Currently cutting

as you'll be using less weight, go al the way down and do it slowly, and tense at the top. that would wipe a smile off ur face - burns like hell if you hold the squeeze for 2-3 secs

Quote Originally Posted by Rex
    Bah! Go heavy or go home.
    Learning to clean well enough to make this plausible would be more beneficial than being able to test your 1rm. He's not competing in weightlifting, so such low rep work isn't even ideal anyway.