The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Deadlift is about 50lbs lower than my squat... WHY?

Okay, so i used to be an active member here, but for the last year or so have just lurked. About everyone i know at the gym has a higher deadlift than squat, then the next highest is squat, then bench. Seems to be consistant with most people.

However, my deadlift is about 50lbs less than my squat. I still cant figure out why this is. I have basically hit a plateau at 235 on deadlift. I cant do more than 6 reps or so because i feel my back wanting to curve itself under the load. (and being 6'2" i need my back lol). So needless to say i am definitely sacrificing gains from a safety standpoint. Why then has my squat just BLASTED up in the weight (knockin on 300lb door), but my deadlift is stuck?

cliff notes: deadlift is 50lbs less than squat, cant figure it out, driving me crazy.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys/gals.
    Last edited by doctorcod; 06-05-2006 at 10:18 PM.
    Age - 20
    Height - 6'2"
    Weight - 175 (starting weight 140)
    Squat - 275 x 8
    Deadlift - 225 x 8
    Bench - 135 x 8

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You're pretty tall, that can change the mechanics over some of us shorter people. How do you do them? Sumo or conventional? I would suggest doing a single off the floor, then regrip, and keep going. I don't usually do reps with deads, but I always take them off the floor. Some people may do them different, I just prefer it this way.

If your back is curving, it may be because you aren't using your legs as much. I would say lighten the weight and widen your stance to a sumo, then try that. Find the way that you feel most comfortable.

Occupational Hypnomania
    Im guessing you've checked the most obvious thing being your form?

Might also depend on your squat depth. Being that tall means you have to get pretty low to the ground making the deadlift difficult. However, you might not be going that deep or very deep on squats, thus making them easier.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

"He's used to doing the jerk first, then the clean." -Xian

"Eat more? I am already consuming more than 2500 cals a day." -Danpiel

Occupational Hypnomania
    Should try to squat below parallel, I talked to a guy at the gym the other day who looked like he knew what he was doing and gave me advice and whatnot then I saw him squat, not even close to parallel he was basically still upright.

Anyways maybe he had a knee problem or something, but this is very off topic so im going to stop typing now.

200 is small stuff. Margin Of Error's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnip
    Should try to squat below parallel, I talked to a guy at the gym the other day who looked like he knew what he was doing and gave me advice and whatnot then I saw him squat, not even close to parallel he was basically still upright.

Anyways maybe he had a knee problem or something, but this is very off topic so im going to stop typing now.

If you're not squatting ATF, or at least deep, the squat will be much easier than a deadlift when compared side by side. Try squatting until your hammies are resting on your calves.

I can pull 300 and squat 300+ parallel when I go for it. Normally I squat ATF and cant do more than 180 for reps, it is MUCH harder.
    It's easier to point out the differences between us than to admit the similarities.

This body holding me, reminds me of my own mortality.

Occupational Hypnomania
    Ah I wasnt saying he was doing it right, im just pointing out that its a common mistake even if someone thinks they know what they are doing.

Almost a scary thought, we know someone is doing excersises wrong-
    And it could be you!
    Last edited by Turnip; 06-06-2006 at 03:23 AM.

i can deadlift near 500, and can only squat about 315 ATH.....my roomates are the same...it has always been like that for me....try sitting on your heels before you come back up from your squat, and see how much you can do then...
    Height: 6' 1/2" Age: 24

Current Status: The brace is off....
    Weight: 208 lbs.

Back in action...

wow, thanks for all the replies!

As for my squat form, i go down to parallel, and from what i have been hearing from you guys is basically to do a much greater ROM? Do the ass to the floor squats? I will try this.

As for deads, i guess i need to try sumo style as someone mentioned. I usually place my feet about shoulder width apart, and then i use a mixed grip to grab the bar. Sometimes i pick it up off the floor, other times i take it off of a rack, it just depends on how much energy i feel i have that day.

Instead of doing multiple reps, should i just do like a gazillion sets of 1 rep?
    Age - 20
    Height - 6'2"
    Squat - 275 x 8
    Deadlift - 225 x 8
    Bench - 135 x 8

Gamer/Lifter
    235? Dead? And your a guy at 175 LB who has been lifting for a year? You should diff be doing more. Work on form, try sumo. I'm 6,0 and deads are difficult for me too yet my max is 275 1 RPM. Last time I repped out at 215, next week I rep out 225.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117
    235? Dead? And your a guy at 175 LB who has been lifting for a year? You should diff be doing more. Work on form, try sumo. I'm 6,0 and deads are difficult for me too yet my max is 275 1 RPM. Last time I repped out at 215, next week I rep out 225.
    I agree. Deadlifting 235 should not be causing any problems for you if you are using correct form. Hell, my WIFE who is like 140lbs has been doing deads for only about 8 months and can do 280. How? She has excellent form. If you can't deadlift more than you can squat to parallel, you must be having form issues.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Okay, i will critique my form when i do back this week. Thanks A TON for the advice everyone has put into this thread.
    Age - 20
    Height - 6'2"
    Squat - 275 x 8
    Deadlift - 225 x 8
    Bench - 135 x 8