Thread: Sleep at Night or Night+Day?

Senior of Kinesiology

Sleep at Night or Night+Day?

Im a night person and during the week I have to get up early for school. I ussally get about 6.5 hours at night and then I nap after school for about 2 more. I was wondering, is this ok? or would getting 8 hours at night be better? During the weekend I get between 9-11 hours of sleep a night. Thanks
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

NAPS=ACE
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Senior of Kinesiology
    Oh yeah, Nothin beats a nap!

Originally posted by Scooby-Doo
    Oh yeah, Nothin beats a nap!
    hell yeah! im trying to get a job where i can nap!
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Good post, I have been wondering the same thing about sleep.

I am pretty much the same, I get 6-7hrs a night, with naps right after school. I work on weekends so I dont have the benifit of getting 9-11hrs a night.

Senior of Kinesiology
    Hopefully someone knows the answer and can help us hall.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Sleep cycles, the more complete cycles you get the better, except if you sleep too much, you'll be all laggy and it will be less effective.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

I'm a big fan of naps And I'm talking at least 2 or three hours

Originally posted by Allie
    I'm a big fan of naps And I'm talking at least 2 or three hours

2-3 hours!!!!!!!

ack! if you have that much time you can come over and cook me a meal! i will pay!
    Sweat in time of peace, bleed less in time of war.

Every person is different and requires different amounts of sleep. Some people work well with 6 while others need 9. Keeping your bedtime, and risetime consistent will help your body maintain a sleep rythym. Sleeping in on weekends is nice, but it affects your sleep rythym...why do you think Mondays are so bad? Try getting to bed and rising consistantly at a certain time for a couple of weeks. You will see a difference. Also, if your tired take a 15-20 min power nap. Sleeping for more than ~20 min causes you to enter deep (REM) sleep, which also affects the sleep rythym. If the power nap doesn't pick you up your not getting enough sleep at night.
    BaWL§

"Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment"
    ~Lao-Tzu

The mechanisms of sleep are still pretty much a mystery. As you sleep during the night you preceed through various stages (1 through to 4) which could be called a cycle and that cycle is repeated 4 or 5 times thoughout the night. However, stage 4 sleep (perhaps the deepest form of sleep) ocurs mostly at the beggining through the first few cycles. After which paradoxical or REM sleep occurs for a longer duration through the last few cycles.

So it is not entirly correct to say that paradoxical sleep will occur after 20 minutes, nor is it correct to assume that paradoxical sleep is associated with deep sleep.

However,from a bodybuilding precpective the most imortant question to ask would be what stage of sleep is associated with muscle repair and growth. Common sense would pehaps say that stage 4 sleep may the answer. Therefore, since stage 4 sleep occurs within the first 2 or 3 sleep cycles,wih stage 4 sleep occuring for a total of 1 hr within the 2.5 hr duration of these first cycles, it would perhaps make sense to sleep 3 or 4 times during any 24hr period for 2.5 hrs each time. This may be the key to why power naps work well,particularly for people who train frequently.

However, before you all quit your jobs and beginning living on a different time scale the anwer may also be that paradoxical sleep is the time when maximum muscle gowth and repair occur. Therefore it would be best to sleep for over 10 hours in every 24hr period,but this can make some people feel worse than if the had very little sleep and can even make some feel depressed and suicidal.

Although, after intense physical activity the time taken to proceed from stage 1 to stage 4 sleep is significantly reduced. Which seems to support the first hypothesis. Although it should also be noted then when sleep deprivation occurs for a prolonged period, upon sleeping paradoxical sleep occurs within the first sleep cycle, known as REM rebound sleep.
    Failure is a privelage reserved for those who do not try hard enough

Yeah I would say that sleeping at night and then have a frequent nap or 2 is your best bet. Really makes me feel good after a nap. Almost revamps me. Also helps with rest and recuperation.

Senior of Kinesiology
    Thanks for the info!

Here's my half-baked excuse for taking naps: Man is a predator. We know this because our eyes are set forward and we have good binocular vision for good depth perception. Same set-up as for lions, eagles, bears, etc. Herbivores that are not at the top of the food chain have their eyes set more to the sides of their heads to look out for the predators- better peripheral vision field. Cows, horses, deer, etc. They graze all day and don't naps much. Us predators however are not meant to be active for long periods of time like say for an 8 hour work day. Tell your boss that it's natural for you to take a nap at work. To do otherwise would be ignoring who we are.

Senior of Kinesiology
    *lol* good explenation Doc!

Originally posted by jock

However,from a bodybuilding precpective the most imortant question to ask would be what stage of sleep is associated with muscle repair and growth. Common sense would pehaps say that stage 4 sleep may the answer. Therefore, since stage 4 sleep occurs within the first 2 or 3 sleep cycles,wih stage 4 sleep occuring for a total of 1 hr within the 2.5 hr duration of these first cycles, it would perhaps make sense to sleep 3 or 4 times during any 24hr period for 2.5 hrs each time. This may be the key to why power naps work well,particularly for people who train frequently.
    So if I were to sleep 3 or 4 times a day, at 2.5hr intervals, would that really help me add mass? I mean, would I most likley add more mass than if I was to sleep 7.5 hrs straight at night?

I would be willing to give this a try.

So if I were to sleep 3 or 4 times a day, at 2.5hr intervals, would that really help me add mass? I mean, would I most likley add more mass than if I was to sleep 7.5 hrs straight at night?
    Perhaps. After all why does society dictate to us that we sleep once at night and eat 3 times a day? My guess is that this convention was started by people who had a lot of workers for whom they provided food and shelter for. It made goups easier to control and accomode for from a financial point of view. You eat more than 3 meals a day so why not sleep more often for shorter periods if you can?

I would be really interested to know if this works for you, so if you decide to try this please let me know how you get on.
    Failure is a privelage reserved for those who do not try hard enough