Thread: Incline BP

Hybrid View

Gamer/Lifter

Incline BP

On my bench days I cut out decline BP mainly because well I wasn't seeing it do anything for me. It also wasted a lot of time for me.

I am thinking about cutting out incline BP as well. I meanwhat does the incline BP do for you? Does it asset your flat bench?

My bench day right now looks like this
    Bench 5x5
    Tris (5xs5 consideing 3x8 atm)
    Incline BP (3x8)

I simply don't like them, are they like NECESSARY or just an extra add on? Should I contniue with them. I'd much rather spend the time that I do on IBP and do some cardio.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

According to your signature you play football, so i would say keep doing incline because its a really good lift for football, if you think about it you never bench someone in football but you often incline bench someone lol, cuz say your blocking you dont stand straight up you are bent over like incline and i know my coach thinks incline is important because we do both regular incline and underhand incline, but i guess as long as your doing bench and a shoulder press type excercise it wouldnt be horrible to take it out, i just know i wouldnt.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

You could do incline dumbbell bench instead. Personally, I like incline DB better that flat DB bench.

Otherwise, if you don't like incline BB or DB, I would at least do dips.

It makes more sense to do more incline and decline and less flat bench
    I do flat, incline and dips which work the decline portion of the chest as well.
    height 6'5"
    Weight 305
    Bench:frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by mr.potential
    It makes more sense to do more incline and decline and less flat bench
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.potential
    I do flat, incline and dips which work the decline portion of the chest as well.
    Pectoralis Minor and Major grow together, there's no way to target the upper, lower, inner, outer areas of the chest.

But if you like doing dips and decline bench, by all means don't let me stop you.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

How cool is that...2 "Family Guy" avatars in a row!!!

Gamer/Lifter
    I'll try and stick to them, I simply abosultely hate them though.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Gonadius Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117
    I'll try and stick to them, I simply abosultely hate them though.
    When you hate something I think that generally means your weak at them.
    Atleast for me thats true.

Gamer/Lifter
    Yup i'm weak at them. Um last time I did them I think it was 115 3x8 GOD i hated that.

If you hate them then cut them out. If you're still doing flat bench and shoulder press then there's no need. Most of the time your arms are locked out when you're blocking, it's just the initial pop when you're extending them. If you're using your arms the whole time to push then you're a sh!tty blocker. You need to focus on squats and deadlifts so you get more drive from your hips.

From talking to a couple of body builders and read a few articles...Inclines are more beneficial than flat. They all said to start your routine with Incline instead of flat. So i would say stick with them.

^ Did they say why incline is "more beneficial"?
    Last edited by Saint Patrick; 06-07-2006 at 12:30 PM.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    ^ Did they say why incline is "more beneficial"?

Something along the lines of (don't quote me on this...it was a few years ago) for inclines you make better overall gains for you chest as compared to flat. He said if you start out your routine with incline then you will be able to use more weight for more reps as compaired to doing inclines after flat and getting less reps with less weight. Also if you would only do flat bench only your incline wouldnt go up as much as much as compaired to if you only did incline then your flat bench would go up at a better rate. I wasn't 100% "sold" but what I did get from it is Incline BP's are an important exercise.
    Last edited by bics56; 06-07-2006 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bics56
    Something along the lines of (don't quote me on this...it was a few years ago) for inclines you make better overall gains for you chest as compared to flat. He said if you start out your routine with incline then you will be able to use more weight for more reps as compaired to doing inclines after flat and getting less reps with less weight. Also if you would only do flat bench only your incline wouldnt go up as much as much as compaired to if you only did incline then your flat bench would go up at a better rate. I wasn't 100% "sold" but what I did get from it is Incline BP's are an important exercise.
    I actually recently saw an article on bb.com about that. Doing incline first that is... I think im going to try it since im at a bench plateau.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Gamer/Lifter
    Yea i'm doing shoulder press, i'll just move shoulder press to bench day instead of having it on back day and be fine. Should I also move shrugs to bench as well?

Gamer/Lifter
    i'll try that... tell you how it goes.

Iron4Life
    Any chance you did a search on this topic??
    There must be >100 threads on WBB about Flat Bench vs. Incline vs. Decline....
    Hence, you don't have many experienced WBB contributors commenting on this thread.. besides St Pat who is questioning some of the other Noobie advice...

Please do the search... you will find your answer...