Thread: Overtraining Overrated?

Overtraining Overrated?

Almost every time I ask some jacked guy for tips about training, the main piece of advice I'm given is to train and stop reading everything I find.

Everyone tell me that I shouldn't worry at all about overtraining or splitting bodyparts or how many rest days I'm taking etc, until I get to at least 180 lbs (I'm 5'9) and low bodyfat.

They all just say that I should just eat a lot, sleep up to 10 hours a day and work out as much as I can (obviously not when I feel exhausted or I'm ill). Most of these guys used to workout 5-6 days a week, multiple times a day (up to 3 hour or so) and have amazing bodies. They said that they started setting routines and worrying about overtraining just when they hit a major plateau (more or less, after gaining 40-50 lbs) and then followed some program.

Would you agree with this?
    Last edited by Anthony; 06-06-2006 at 11:42 AM. Reason: swear filter exists for a reason, please respect it

Let's see ...

increase food
    increase sleep
    increase training frequency

Sounds pretty solid to me.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I know a lot of people are going to say they do not agree. I also think one should structure a routine with some kind of structure and logic to it. But when I first started I lifted 6 days/week where I would train the same muscle group 2-3 times a week...I made insane gains for my size but you can also credit it to newb gains. So from my own personal experiance since I was a noob I have not train in that fashion.

Well...are you training muscles that are still sore?
    Train what is fresh and fully healed. If you are still in pain dont train that muscle. So if you can train multiple times a day because of diet/rest/genetics then go for it.
    Id say as long as its fresh, hit it up. If not, let it rest until then.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

How old are you?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

19, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-X
    Almost every time I ask some jacked guy for tips about training, the main piece of advice I'm given is to train and stop reading everything I find.

Everyone tell me that I shouldn't worry at all about overtraining or splitting bodyparts or how many rest days I'm taking etc, until I get to at least 180 lbs (I'm 5'9) and low bodyfat.

They all just say that I should just eat a lot, sleep up to 10 hours a day and work out as much as I can (obviously not when I feel exhausted or I'm ill). Most of these guys used to workout 5-6 days a week, multiple times a day (up to 3 hour or so) and have amazing bodies. They said that they started setting routines and worrying about overtraining just when they hit a major plateau (more or less, after gaining 40-50 lbs) and then followed some program.

Would you agree with this?
    well if your eatting enough and sleeping enough etc. then your probley not overtraining... i dont understand the question
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Quote Originally Posted by mikey4402
    well if your eatting enough and sleeping enough etc. then your probley not overtraining... i dont understand the question

I think his point is he is training the same muscle a few times per week, therefor he does not have enough recovery time. Aslo I think he is implying how the common tip is you do not need to train too much (example doing a chest routine with 6 exercises and 5 sets each) if you do you will actually slow your building.

http://www.grappling.com russianwol's Avatar
    Some researches say it takes 7 dayes to repair microfiber damage from going to failure. I know a guy who's on "hormone replacement therapy". Well he says he works out 6 days a week. Eats a lot of food - every 2 hours + comsumes additional amino acids. The thing is that he is only able to make the progress with such a workout load because he has additional test supplementation.
    "If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes." - Alexander The Great

Maxes: B: 200, D: TBD, S: TBD | 172lb @ 6% on 12/17/2006
    Goals: B:225, D: TBD, S: TBD | | 200lb or 12%

MySpace | USDA Nutrient Values | Built | V-Taper

I bet there are more guys out there that practice lifting every day that are small.
    18 Years of Age

5'7'' 140 lbs---Now 148

As of Feb. 2006------As of April 2006------As of July 2006

Bench- 155 x 2------170 x 1--------------Not Tested
    Squat- 200 x 1 (parallel)------Untested-------205 x 1 (Ass to Grass)
    Dead- Untested------235 x 2-----------250lbs x1 (3 sets of this)

I train 5-6 days a week and most of those days involve my entire body. I am rarely sore, I make progress on a regular basis, and while my goal is not to be huge, I could be if I ate more. Strange things happen when you stop designing routines based on body parts.

although i use a routine im currently just eating alot sleep alot and lifting hard as hell, its plain and simple man.
    2000 or bust

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I train 5-6 days a week and most of those days involve my entire body. I am rarely sore, I make progress on a regular basis, and while my goal is not to be huge, I could be if I ate more. Strange things happen when you stop designing routines based on body parts.
    the problem is most people, myself included, arent positive how to design a routine that focuses on the body rather then on specific muscles. obviously oly lifts could do it, but i have no one to teach me how to do those.

Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    the problem is most people, myself included, arent positive how to design a routine that focuses on the body rather then on specific muscles. obviously oly lifts could do it, but i have no one to teach me how to do those.
    Anthony is refering to training the body as a whole, not breaking it down into hamstrings, calves and abs this day OR Quads, forearms and spinal erectors that day. From time to time I'll do an explosive based workout with DB Snatches, chins, dips, burpee's, lunges.

Have a look at a few journals that are practicing Crossfit or Mikes gym, or anything else GPP related.

Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    Well, instead of thinking about body parts, think about movements. Squatting is a movement, deadlift is a movement, putting things over your head is a movement, etc. Even if size is your only concern, most people are not even close to being big enough to worry about specific body parts. Focus on the big compound movements, vary your reps/sets/intensity, eat a lot of good food, get your rest, and by the time you are big/strong enough to worry about the details, you'll have probably found the required knowledge through experience.

Banned
    i do the big compound movements, as you can see in my signature

however, thats just one movement, and each is pretty closely related to a certain muscle group. big compound movements are very limited to the big 3 and olympic training as far as i know (and other stuff like push press etc but still). GPP is a whole different ball game because i dont have the equipment for it.

post up an example routine that is whole body workouts instead of muscle based, because i already am basing my whole workout on the big 3.

What's wrong with one movement a day?

As for GPP equipment, technically you don't need any, but you can get some fun toys for cheap (sandbags, sledgehammer, sled, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-X
    19, why?
    Because young guys like yourself recover much quicker than older guys. It has a lot to do with the amount of weight you are consistantly handling. As a young dude who is fairly new you can probably get away with hammering yourself often and still make gains. As you start lifting heavier you will notice that to continue to make gains and stay injury free you must be more concerned with recovery.
    Last edited by HeavyBomber; 06-06-2006 at 06:15 PM.