Thread: anybody know about subaru engines?

anybody know about subaru engines?

seems like my mom has just bent a valve and spun a main bearing on her 98 forester. the b**ch only has 40k on it too. anyhow, i do mechanical work but im usually working on the generals products with v8s not goofy ass AWD-I4's.

What I need to know is to pull the engine do you have to pull the transmission with it? If yes, do you have to pull the transfer case with it too? And how about the front driveshafts and all that jazz? Or is it more along the lines of a good ole cherry pick the old out and drop a new in like how us great americans used to do things?

Thanks
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

a: its a flat 4
    b: you will have to remove axles to remove the transmission
    c: you will have to remove the t-case to remove the transmission
    d: it would be easiest to pull with the transmission attached, take the hood off and a cherry picker should work

PS: have fun...
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Flat 4's are great engines but hell to work on if you don't have a lift. If you have access to a lift, use it and it will make your job a LOT easier.

Fellow Subaru Owner
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

buy a new car
    Call me, Johnny. Thanks
    Check out my JOURNAL!

STATS as of: March, 2006

Current/Goal
    Weight: 240 +/-
    Height: 6'3.5
    Bench: 330bs touch and go / 360lbs paused
    Squat: 385lbs / 405lbs
    Clean: 255lbs / 285lbs
    40: 5.3 / 5.0
    Vert: 23 / 28

Quote Originally Posted by biggimp
    a: its a flat 4
    b: you will have to remove axles to remove the transmission
    c: you will have to remove the t-case to remove the transmission
    d: it would be easiest to pull with the transmission attached, take the hood off and a cherry picker should work

PS: have fun...
    I'm assuming you do have to remove the transmission to pull the engine then?

Also, I haven't looked at it yet. I'm assuming since it's AWD that the trans is rear mounted not tranverse to the engine, right?

If I have to pull the trans also I'll likely not do it. I just thought if it was a simple pull and drop with the engine I'd save her some $$. I doubt I have the time to be tearing the whole thing apart.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

im pretty sure on the subarus the transmission is not rear mounted. i think its attached to the motor, and the t-case to it. if you unbolt the transfer case and the axles, you should be able to pull the motor and transmission as one unit.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.

journal

I think he just means mounted to the rear of a longitudinally oriented engine, as opposed to the side of a transverse engine. And yes, it is to the rear of the longitudinally mounted boxer in the car. An I4 it is not.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I think he just means mounted to the rear of a longitudinally oriented engine, as opposed to the side of a transverse engine. And yes, it is to the rear of the longitudinally mounted boxer in the car. An I4 it is not.

i see i see. i thought he was referring to how some cars have transmissions in the rear end.

well **** if subaru's motors are mounted longitudinally that makes things about 10x easier man!
    Rock Quotes:

journal