The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar

Navy wants.. me??

Thought I would let you guys know, I took a test for the army/navy/ect. called the ASVABS. This tells you what you will be when you grow up. According to this test I can be in 99% of positions in the Navy, including nuclear eng. Yet the one position I would consider is being a jet piolt. I had no idea that I got this score untill they called up asking for me with some represintitive. Think I should ditch the chance or think about it? Thanks for the input guys.

(p.s. I have a 4.5 gpa and love history and i'm most likely looking into law prefession)
    Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 06-10-2006 at 03:52 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Do you have 20/20 vision? My friend in the air force told me that's required to fly, and you also have to be an officer I believe.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Depends on where you are in life now. The Navy is a great place to get into a career, and if you haven't got any other options, it could be a good move.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    Do you have 20/20 vision? My friend in the air force told me that's required to fly, and you also have to be an officer I believe.
    You can get Lasik.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    You can get Lasik.
    Yea my friend did that, it's expensive and it didn't make his eye sight 20/20 but it was pretty close.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Yepp, that was my other concern, how could they know my vission, I hear you have to have better then 20/20 to be in the blue angels, witch would be my goal if I were to join the navy flight school, that and top gun... of course... lol

the asvabs will ALWAYS tell you that you are fit for the military. military recruiters are worse than car salesmen.

good luck if you choose that route though.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy
    Yepp, that was my other concern, how could they know my vission, I hear you have to have better then 20/20 to be in the blue angels, witch would be my goal if I were to join the navy flight school, that and top gun... of course... lol
    I don't think you can have better than 20/20 vision, it was my understanding that's as good as it gets for humans. As far as flying I think it would probaby be about the greatest thing you could do for a career in the military.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    the asvabs will ALWAYS tell you that you are fit for the military. military recruiters are worse than car salesmen.

good luck if you choose that route though.
    No but they said im fit for everything, and I have never seen them calling up asking for soemone to join. And everyone took the test.

I don't think you can have better than 20/20 vision, it was my understanding that's as good as it gets for humans. As far as flying I think it would probaby be about the greatest thing you could do for a career in the military.
    No im pretty sure the worst you can have is 20/20, like seriously.

air force does lasik free...my roommate is in air force and they said they'd do it if he passed all the piloting tests or whatever
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

No im pretty sure the worst you can have is 20/20, like seriously.
    Deffinetly not the worst. I'm also fairly sure you can have better than 20/20 vision.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

I think 20/20 is a standard, based on averages.

I have no basis in fact for this statement.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I have bases, statments from guys in the blue angels from documenterys I have watched. They say they have unreal vision and can see things way before notmal people see them becuase of such good eye sight.

I have bases, statments from guys in the blue angels from documenterys I have watched. They say they have unreal vision and can see things way before notmal people see them becuase of such good eye sight.
    Even if their vision was better, human vision has its limits and more than likely the only way the difference would show up between their vision and a persons with 20/20 would be on a very sophisticated eye test.

Even if their vision was better, human vision has its limits and more than likely the only way the difference would show up between their vision and a persons with 20/20 would be on a very sophisticated eye test.
    Yepp

I doubt it would have to be all that much more sophisticated ...

One of the numbers is how far away from the letters you are, and one of the numbers is how small the letters are. They can just test to see if you can see smaller letters at the same distance, and if you can you'll have 20/20.

And everyone that takes the ASVAB that goes on to college is capable of just about any job in the military.

If you think you're capable of being an attorney or detective or something, that's probably a much better decision.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 06-10-2006 at 04:38 PM.

best i have heard of is 20/15 maybe 20/10. 20/15 is not uncommon at all, my dad has it. i think mine is something like 20/60 or so though. LOL
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Well besides the point what should I be if I were to join?

Here's what Wikipedia has to say...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    A visual acuity of 20/20 is frequently described as meaning that a person can see detail from 20 feet away the same as a person with normal eyesight would see from the same distance. If a person has a visual acuity of 20/40, that person is said to see detail from 20 feet away the same as a person with normal eyesight would see it from 40 feet away. It is possible to have vision superior to 20/20: the maximum acuity of the human eye without visual aids (such as binoculars) is generally thought to be around 20/10 (6/3). Recent developments in optometry have resulted in corrective lenses conferring upon the wearer a vision of up to 20/10. Some birds, such as hawks are believed to have an acuity of around 20/2, which is significantly better than human eyesight.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    That was my first thought. I'm sure everybody scores well.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia
    Here's what Wikipedia has to say...
    Thats, cool I got my lesson in school today =), thx d'A

I'm sure that there are even more people getting "high aptitude" for ground pounding about this time too.

Well besides the point what should I be if I were to join?
    if you are asking this to a bunch of message board strangers then i call your 4.5GPA into question.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Nope, you can test better. I was tested at 20/15 by my eye doctor.